next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Cockpit Cooling

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Cockpit Cooling
luckymiata76

Region: South Bend
Car #: 76
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luckymiata76     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, I'm getting older and a little more out of shape every year and the heat inside the car is starting to get a little uncomfortable. Has anybody found a good method for keeping the heat out of the cockpit?

Cool shirt may be an option in the future, but would like to work on keeping the exhaust heat out at this point.

Thanks.

--------------------
Jeff Luckritz

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use some self adhesive insulation on the inside of the roof and on the transmission tunnel. HRP part #THT-13590.
http://www.hrpworld.com/

I am sure it is available elsewhere.
wheel

luckymiata76

Region: South Bend
Car #: 76
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luckymiata76     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've never thought about putting it on the roof. How much do you think that helps?

--------------------
Jeff Luckritz

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've mixed in some ceramic insulating stuff with some Rustoleum and painted the floor of 2 RX7s with it. Dusty Bottoms did it to his Miata, and would likely have more actual fact data than I do... but it definitely keeps the tunnel and floor cooler. With a plain steel tunnel you'd be crazy to set your hand on it within 30 minutes of race/session end. Ceramic painted I can rest my hand on the tunnel and leave it there -- it's still warm, but it's not skin melting hot.

In my next build I'll likely use this stuff on the floor and some of the gold or silver radiant stuff to put along the floor above the exhaust and around the headers.

EDIT: Link to ceramic mix:
http://hytechsales.com/

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Vented wing windows work pretty well to help keep you cool.

I'm suprised how many people wear black helmets. Nothing absorbs heat better.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On a steel roof car it is huge. In the hot sun, the side with the material was warm, the other was very hot. With the fiberglass roof, it is not a big an improvement, but every bit helps.

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

what color is the roof of your car? I had a drag racer do a comparison of underhood temps right over the carb, after that we painted the hood white on the outside and it reduced the temp pretty significantly. I'm going to do it to my car I just have to figure out how to incorporate it into the paint scheme

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

I put on white retro-reflective vinyl, which also helped. The AS was dark blue, the SM is dark red.

wheel

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: