Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Hot off last year's presses, 2009 Sprints footage from my 4th place 1.6 car

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Hot off last year's presses, 2009 Sprints footage from my 4th place 1.6 car
Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since I'm media-handicapped, I finally figured out how to edit this file I had from the race about a year later. Figured it might be good for a few laffs on here, have fun.

Part 1 - green flag to full course caution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRYS9Qy4MU

Part 2 - restart to when my camera dies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSTUe0dbns

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That was fun Rich - thanks for sharing

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice driving Rich, as usual ... Funny you had trouble with some of the same ones I did after restart and my camera also died about the same exact spot and lap? Conspiracy
My best win ever, just as proud to make it through that mess without as much as a ding on the car. [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUv6hIo9zQY
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Rich Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Watching that restart still makes me cringe a little. I was pretty sure I was going to die in the carousel. I thought it was fitting that I ended up doing a side-by-side hip bump with Phillips, he probably got all nostalgic for SM when that happened. [Smile]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice to see a post fatter on facts and evidence that it is on opinion- something Rich has always done.

Nice driving for sure, but I was surprised at the aggressiveness by several cars relatively deep in the pack, early in the race, and at a race that isn't so important I would want to be doing bodywork, alignments, or spinal traction "just for fun".

Was the camera car on POG, and were the 99s on POG?

I have seen other videos where the 1.6 gives up almost nothing on the front straight. Do we feel the 99s and 1.6 shown in the video represent the best legal prep possible?

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Rich Verified Driver

I'd have to say reynolds and sandlins cars are pretty high up the scale but who knows. No idea if they were POG. Sandlin probably wasn't, reynolds might have been.

I was running VP SR1 with a little track fuel mixed in, I think, though it may have been more POG than SR1. It was a year ago and I keep crappy notes. I also wasn't lifting for shifts on the straights. My car was pretty good that year, definitely, but it was also missing an oil cap in that video that some idiot left loose... Still had good <3% leakdown when I sold it and it held its own against one of the drago machines in midiv who can keep track of which car? They all look the same

Things never settled down the way we did in 2008. We didn't have you to keep us in line. [Wink] . The yellow car definitely thought he was going to the front on lap 2 and matt/pat got a little rough. The real fireworks started after the restart but at that point it was "us vs them" just trying to get through the melee.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rich:
I'd have to say reynolds and sandlins cars are pretty high up the scale but who knows.

Sandlin holds the track record and Reynolds was p5 at Runoffs, I think they were pretty solid [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Rich Verified Driver

Reynolds usually does pretty well at texas world drag...err...speedway too I believe.

But yeah Jim they aren't that fast. Midpackers at best. [Wink]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

reynolds is fast everywhere

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I love all of the hand signals telling those behind to get in line and bump draft. Oh, please help push me to the front... please! I'm not sure all of those were universally understandable. At 7:53 of the first video, I wasn't sure whether you wanted them to get in line or to steal 3rd?

Sorry D. Mathias - I'm treading into your territory of pointing out the oddly funny moments in racing.

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Uhhh... where'd the yellow car go?

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Ghidinelli:

It had a meet & greet [Embarrassed] with a Gehl in the pea gravel. The Gehl was there first retrieving another car. The Gehl is a WI based company that makes HEAVY duty lifting/moving equipment. The Gehl driver didn't know the Miata had hit his equipment untill he saw the crashed car. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Moonwalker

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Rich, nice moves!

--------------------

Rich Verified Driver

I was dead serious, but watching the video the hand signals look mostly hilarious desperation. [rolling on floor laughin]

Plus bigger events like that you end up drafting with people you never race with normally so it can help tell someone you're not worried about the paint on the bumper. [Wink]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Moonwalker

quote:
Plus bigger events like that you end up drafting with people you never race with normally so it can help tell someone you're not worried about the paint on the bumper. [Wink]

There are ways of dealing with that:

-

[Smile]

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

dont think anyone at the pointy end of the field cares about bumper paint in any event, especially not in the June Sprints!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Rich Verified Driver

They definitely weren't in this one!

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

MegaModerator

quote:
They definitely weren't in this one!

They werent too worried about my paint in this past Sprints either... bumpers I can take, but fenders and wheels kind of takes the fun out of it for me [duck]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Tom Maycock

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Maycock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Ghidinelli:

It had a meet & greet [Embarrassed] with a Gehl in the pea gravel. The Gehl was there first retrieving another car.
And it was VERY fortunate that he hit the Gehl, and not one of the ES workers standing there.

Edit: Forgot to say--cool video, thanks for sharing!

Tom

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I was dead serious, but watching the video the hand signals look mostly hilarious desperation. [rolling on floor laughin]

If there was a $4 trophy for best in-car hand signals, Dave Watts would have many such trophies.

We even have names for some of his moves!

1. "The Godfather" (Palm turned upward, signifying a minor but understandable crime committed by the forward vehicle.

2. "The Maestro" (More French horn! Like a Godfather, but with monotonically increasing vertical emphasis from bottom to top. Signifies moderate violation of forward vehicle committed in corner prior to straightaway)

3. "The WTF" (Like a Godfather/Maestro, but with oscillating up/down movement, followed by a sideswipe. Sideswipe must not be of enough dramatic flair as to be a "Billy Joel" or "Jerry Lee Lewis" - see also Item 14. Can be completed between successive turns.)

4. "The Beeker" (Extending all fingers above steering wheel while keeping thumbs in normal position. Least severe variant of the Godfather/Maestro/WTF family. Can be used to indicate minor crime committed by self, e.g missed shift or brief O.R.E. at track-out.)

5. "You're #1" (Normally prompted by visiting NEDiv drivers)

6. "You're #1, twice, simultaneously" (Normally prompted by Collins specifically). [Big Grin]

7. "The Karate Kid" (bumpdrafting signal, but with hand too low for anyone to see from behind)

8. "The Tomahawk" (bumpdrafting signal with excessive follow-through extending to shifter area, where nobody will see it, including the camera)

9. "The Blueball" (giving bumpdrafting signal to car 4 carlengths behind that you are putting distance on).

10. "The Rain Man Blue Ball". (doing a Blueball more than one lap in a row)

11. "The Prom Queen". Wave given to camera after self-induced near-death-experience. Often seen between Turn 1 and Turn 3 at Nelson Ledges.

12. "The Metronome". Like a bumpdraft wave-off, except way way WAY before the brake zone. If used less than halfway down the straight, this is called "The Tiley".

13. "The Texan". Giving thumbs-up to a guy that just hit you in a part of the track that made you both slower.

Some of them are not able to be succinctly named:

For example ...

14. "Hit the apex, I'm not trying to pass you and you are slowing us both up by blocking me for no reason!" (Given to forward car, usually Ken Simonson. We have suggested calling this "The Billy Joel" or the "Jerry Lee Lewis" because it resembles that thing piano players do when they try to sweep all the keys in a row.)

15. "Hurry up, catch me, I need you to push me!" (We have suggested calling this the "I Throw Like A Girl, While Wearing Nomex Gloves!" Likely to be followed by a "Tomahawk", a "Karate Kid", or both).

--------------------

Rich Verified Driver

[rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

"The Rain Man Blue Ball" rofl. I've gotten that one from more than one person...

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

MegaModerator

God those were funny.. I found myself making the hand signal and agreeing with myself.. "Yeah, I have done that" [Frown]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was course marshalling when the car hit the Gehl (there is a video where you can see it on Youtube...wonder if I can find that...)

Anyway, quote over the radio:

"Control from Gehl 1, we just got hit"
"Say again Gehl 1?"
"Gehl one was getting the car out of the gravel and we just got hit by another car"
"Gehl 1, is everyone alright?"
"Everyone on Gehl 1 is alright, can't say the same for the Miata...apparently we weren't big and yellow enough"

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

Damn Dwayne those were too funny, and yup Drago - I was doing the same thing with my hand and nodding my head - yup I've done that one too!!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where does he come up with this stuff:

Dwayne Hoover, is a normal-looking but deeply deranged Pontiac dealer and Burger Chef franchise owner who becomes obsessed with the writings of the other man, Kilgore Trout, taking them for literal truth.

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Dwayne Hoover, is a normal-looking but deeply deranged Pontiac dealer and Burger Chef franchise owner who becomes obsessed with the writings of the other man, Kilgore Trout, taking them for literal truth.

Bravo, Denny [Wink] ... and if you want to go to the Midland City Arts Festival, I've got some Fruitopia and vodka I'll share.

--------------------

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dang I thought Dwayne was a troubled teenager who has taken a vow of silence until he can accomplish his dream of becoming a test pilot.

The vow of silence thing should have tipped me off [Smile]

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Adam Figarsky

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quality video from all...
--
im sitting on the couch watching these videos and my right foot was actually involuntarily moving as if i were in the car trying to hit the gas...
---i guess i'm hooked...

--------------------
TeamFigMented

2009 NARRC and NYSRRC SSM Champion
2009 SSM NESCCA Enduro Series Champion

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Figarsky:
quality video from all...
--
im sitting on the couch watching these videos and my right foot was actually involuntarily moving as if i were in the car trying to hit the gas...
---

Mine was hitting the brake [Eek!]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I've got some Fruitopia and vodka I'll share.
I've been wanting to dye my tennis shoes purple (again).

Here's some the good Mr. Watts can add to his repertoire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVCuyrPk7P4

TSouth Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincinnati
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TSouth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice driving Rich. Now I know what I was giving up in the carousel. Ditto on hand signals too. Liked the "Wait, please don't pass yet" signal to Matt Reynolds going into 1.

Rich Verified Driver

The carousel is a little more challenging on DOT tires. The slicks on the SRF make it a lot easier to flat foot it. The rest is just turning the steering wheel as little as possible. Would have been nice to have jim there for comparison.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

MegaModerator

That particular Sprints for whatever reason the times were off and carousel and kink were far easier flat than anytime before or since IMO. That would have been the only race I think I would have been close to you threw carousel IMO. We tie maybe that weekend and you win 9 out of 10 other weekends? Best guess.
I have not taken the carousel flat before or since that race. I always have to work throttle now, even at the Runoffs.
At the Sprints the year before when Mark won, you were definitely faster then me there.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Hmmmm????

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
That particular Sprints for whatever reason the times were off and carousel and kink were far easier flat than anytime before or since IMO. That would have been the only race I think I would have been close to you threw carousel IMO. We tie maybe that weekend and you win 9 out of 10 other weekends? Best guess.
I have not taken the carousel flat before or since that race. I always have to work throttle now, even at the Runoffs.
At the Sprints the year before when Mark won, you were definitely faster then me there.

You have too much power and torque, Jim. Both of my cars can go through flat. Reduce your tune just a bit and you'll be able to go through flat again with no worries.

Rich Verified Driver

Agreed. Tom has the solution.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is the same Jim Drago that told me the kink wasn't flat after I said it was.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:
This is the same Jim Drago that told me the kink wasn't flat after I said it was.... [Big Grin]

Correct, same weekend I believe.. But you were 1500 miles away when you said and had only run a 110 hp SM there at that time. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I'm starting to see a pattern from Jim...

....Can't go flat out through the carousel
....Can't go flat out through the kink
....Gotta brake at the 3.5 going into 5.

The more I listen to him the slower I go [Wink]

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sager:
quote:

Maybe if you listened more and complained less [Big Grin]
Kink is flat, but I have only flatted carousel consistently one weekend in my life, that was the 09 Sprints. Must have been down on power [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Mike Tesch Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Tesch   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:

Kink is flat, but I have only flatted carousel consistently one weekend in my life, that was the 09 Sprints. Must have been down on power [Big Grin]

I have no comment !!

--------------------
"I've got 5 kids... here there are hundreds"

Mike Tesch
Go Time Racing LLC

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tesch:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have no comment !!
I'm sitting here laughing my a$$ off because when I was a working stiff I had this little work dictiorary with the word EXCUSE cut out of it & a tab on the page. Still have the dictionary. When a Drago was assigned to a project & he'd come over looking for sympathy I'd reach over, grab my dictionary & Drago would dissapear. One time we went to this page in the dictionary & discussed the word EXCUSE. [Razz] [Big Grin]

[ 07-23-2010, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: David Dewhurst ]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are those the lyrics from a Talking Heads song or?

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

MegaModerator

No, from the talking Clang Birds. [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: