next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Racing Radios

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Racing Radios
Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am not sure if this is the place to post this question but you all have helped me slide down this slippery slope and I am almost off the side of the mountain by now.
I am now looking at in car radios. I am thinking about doing a 12 hr and can see a radio would be handy. I have gone online and looked at the different radio systems, and I also read the article in SportsCar about radios. So I think I am sold on the 5 watt system and trying to figure out what I need and what is nice but not really needed. Any comments for an almost broke SM guy?

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought my in-car wiring setup from Sampson. IIRC the car harness and helmet harness was around $400, and I specified the radio connector to use radios I already owned.

The other thing to keep in mind is IMSA vs. NASCAR helmet connector. I bought NASCAR, all my buddies have IMSA, another brilliant move on my part (although they do sell an adaptor).

Money well spent.

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

Bill Pruitt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
You know you miss him...

Region: WMR
Car #: 18
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Pruitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have just such a system for sale, using Motorola radios. Anyone interested can give me a shout.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Will a radio run 12 hours? I bought a set of 6 (couldn't find just 4 matched) used radios so I can have some on the charger at all times and swap out radios during a pit stop.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Frank,

Just a thought on buying radios, conceder buying from a vendor that comes to the tracks you run on. Support is extremely important at the track. I can't tell you how many times we've had small issues that were repaired on site.

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Will a radio run 12 hours? I bought a set of 6 (couldn't find just 4 matched) used radios so I can have some on the charger at all times and swap out radios during a pit stop.

Good question, I don't know but would be something else to consider.

Also some radios have 8 channels some 16 do you ever go to an event and you are sharing channels, that would suck unless they are faster than you and you can learn something?

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Buy a mobile base radio, which is hard wired into the car (I have a Motorola M1225 off of ebay, for example). Then you don't have to worry about battery life.

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My Vertex vx-160 radio bought from Sampson racing has a hardwire pack that replaces the battery. Can't remember the price, but very affordable. We've used in a 2 25 hour races and now I have it wired into my car, and never have to worry about charging again. But better check with Sampson about the newest Vertex to make sure they have the hardwire pack available. Last I heard they hadn't made it yet.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Todaro:
Also some radios have 8 channels some 16 do you ever go to an event and you are sharing channels, that would suck unless they are faster than you and you can learn something?

8 is plenty. I've used 2 of my 16 and the second only to test in case we had too much cross-talk on 1. Either nobody else talks on my channels or the encoding works well. I know some guys who share channels intentionally. I'd find it annoying to have some random team sharing my channel but at Chump Car it was amusing listening to some guy named "Bubba" who was having a real hard time with his first racing experience and his teammates had to talk him down.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Shawn@sampsonracing.com Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA/SoCal
Car #: 2
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shawn@sampsonracing.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Guys thanks for the shout-out.

We have a complete 4watt Expert System that can have a battery eliminator (hard wired to 12v)added w/o a issue. Its a great way to run a enduro set-up for sure. After that its going to be our Pro Enduro System which is a 25watt mobile in the car (hard wired 12v) and a 5 watt crew radio.

NOTE*** Make sure to check before you buy a mobile unit as some, such as Motorola, take a special harness that has to be set-up for them (could cost more than the unit itself). Also, make sure you have a IMSA helmet kit as mobiles will not work in a NASCAR systems-

--------------------
Shawn Sampson/Sampson Racing Communications
Offical NASA Racing Communication Company
NASA SM/PTE/E3
2005- 1st Place EO 25 Hour Enduro NASA 86' Mazda Rx7 (RIP)
http://www.SampsonRacing.com
http://www.SRCProducts.com
Toll Free -866-396-7231

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: