Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Huge changes in August Fastrack (Page 6)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 6 of 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Huge changes in August Fastrack
Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LMAO as it is more true than most would believe [Big Grin] What was that car like 1/2-5/8 in lower on the left and 53% cross before qualifying? Still remember thinking helping you was going to cost me that race. [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
LMAO as it is more true than most would believe [Big Grin] What was that car like 1/2-5/8 in lower on the left and 53% cross before qualifying? Still remember thinking helping you was going to cost me that race. [Smile]

Lucky for you, Rich with a proper setup is like a mule with a spinning wheel. Nobody knows how he got it and damned if he knows what to do with it. [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Just to clarify, then I will let you guys back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Parts needed to convert from Mazdaspeed "IF" you choose to.

from Tim Buck:
Front conversion
Frt Crossmember $370.00
Steering rack complete $350.00
Left and right spindle $150.00
left and right upper control arms $184.00
Total $1054.00 new

Rear conversion
two spacers $10.00

Total $1064.00 new from Mazda. I am sure I am missing some small things, but it is no where near $2400.00.

Jim

Items I have found missing from this list include the bushings & cam bolts (~$200). I'm researching the small items...

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I haven't seen everyone account for the cost of shipping these presumably heavy parts halfway across the country. My guess is that will add a couple bills to the total.

Rick Buhl Verified Driver

Region: RMDiv
Car #: 82
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rick Buhl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been racing Spec Miata since 2002 (whenever my health and family life permits). I got into the class because #1 the cost was relatively low (see old GRM articles about the best race class for under $15K), and #2 because the racing was so competitive. My donor car was my daily driver I bought new in 1992, and from the first season on the track, I have been able to run competitively at the regional level. While I always aspired to race at a national event, I have always known my car would not be super competitive (nor would my driving skills), but I still felt that on a good day I could do well.

That being said, I wonder about the future of the class I got into 8 years ago, and how much longer I will be able to drag my 1.6 out of the garage and go compete against my friends and on a good day still podium at the regional level without spending a ton of money (other than the expenses of tires, gas, towing, etc).

When looking at the cost of modifications, there has been some focus on the parts list, shipping, and labor it would cost an individual racer to upgrade. It has also been stated (although no stats were provided) that 1.6's make up the majority of the class. When looking at the cost of a modification, it seems prudent to calculate not only the individual cost, but the overall cost to the class. This is easily done by multiplying the individual cost by the number of cars required to make the modification. That cost (as well as the individual cost) should be compared to the expected benefit in terms of closing the gap between the cars. The expected cost/benefit of various modifications could then be compared. This would make expensive changes to the majority of the cars (supposedly the 1.6) such as 99 suspension, 1.8L engines, etc look less appealing than things like weight and restrictor plates to the minority cars, or even more expensive modifications to the minority cars.

I would be very interested in the rough number of cars running of each type (ie 1.6, 1.8, 99+) and then seeing some comparison of the costs vs expected benefit for various proposals. In all of the posts I have read, I am still not exactly sure what upgrading to a 99+ front end is supposed to do for the 1.6l cars other than make the class more "spec" (the handling benefits seem to be disputed). I am not in favor of more spec just for the sake of more spec.

Just as a data point, as of today, there were 47 cars entered into the NASA Championships at Miller.
90-93 - 26 (55%)
94-97 - 7 (15%)
99+ - 12 (26%)
unknown - 2 (4%)

If this was representative of the overall population in SM, it would mean that 70%(+) of the cars would have to upgrade to 99+ suspension. However, I suspect that the actual population of SM's is even more weighted towards the early years. So this is a good idea why? From a class cost perspective, it would be a lot cheaper to have everyone run on the 1.6 front end (less than half the cars would have to make a change)

With the recent announcement of the SM5 class, why don't we seriously look at what it would take to make the 99+ cars competitive in that class, and then get down to solving the 1.6 vs 1.8 disparities. We would still probably field the largest classes (SM is the largest single field at NASA championships, and likely would not drop out of the top 3 without the 99's (who knows, it might even bring out a larger field).

While I appreciate all the time the SMAC and CRB put into the SM class, I sometimes wonder if the perspective of being so devoted to racing is driving the class to be developed for the top 1% as opposed to the 99% majority. Please keep SM as a great place for people to start racing and continue racing. I truly enjoy the few days I get to go racing each year and I especially enjoy the camaraderie and competitiveness of my fellow racers. The rule changes, tire wars, and tech compliance issues are the only things that harsh my gig.

--------------------
Rick Buhl
SM #82

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I work with data alot. Is there any way to get access to a majority of SCCA spec miata results by year? Would MyLaps be able to extract a file from their system?

If so, I would be willing to volunteer to crunch the numbers for the community.

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
I work with data alot. Is there any way to get access to a majority of SCCA spec miata results by year? Would MyLaps be able to extract a file from their system?

If so, I would be willing to volunteer to crunch the numbers for the community.

If your talking spec line numbers you will find minimal to nothing. The only place that I'v ever seen the event spec line year is at the Runoffs. Made a suggestion that the spec line years be tracked for data use.

Response IIRC:

Thanks for the input, it would confuse to many people.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Could a file from Mazda be merged with race results. Does Mazda have an accurate list of driver name and model years owned? Could this capture the majority of the class?

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
Could a file from Mazda be merged with race results. Does Mazda have an accurate list of driver name and model years owned? Could this capture the majority of the class?

Not when I questioned Mazda before I made the letter request to track spec line counts to the CRB.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Page 6 of 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: