Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Young future SM driver...

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Young future SM driver...
JC-MX5

Region: NASA Florida
Car #: 33
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JC-MX5   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been lurking for a while and thought I would finally post an intro thread. My name is Josh and I recently purchased a 1990 NA with about 83k on the clock. My plan from the beginning was to go spec racing. It's going to be a long, eventual build *due to a tight budget*, but I hope to gain a lot of knowledge during my stay here. I cannot wait to share my experiences and maybe even mix it up with some of you guys one day!

On a side note; Is the metal bracket that holds the ECU to the floor a requirement? I know the rules say that if it's not a legal modification in the books to stay away, but mine is rusted down quite a bit. Being the only bit of rusty metal on the car, I removed it to prevent any spread. The floor pan appears to be intact underneath.

Again, I'm glad to be aboard and look forward to learning from you guys!

--------------------
Josh Chaney
Future Rookie/Build in progress...

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome to the club JC, and the world of sometimes confusing rules. (BTW- a name would help for a proper introduction)

It's going to be a long build so for now I wouldn't sweat anything as minor as an interior bracket. You have a while and chances are you're not going straight into the runoffs and into a position where you're under a lot of scrutiny.

I had a number of bits with some surface rust that I just primed with a rattle can of rustoleum and then when I welded in the cage I sprayed everything the same color. They looked pretty cool with just the primer, looked even cooler with the fresh paint (I took pictures even) but don't fall too in love with the pristine look of fresh shiny paint if you plan to use it as a race car. [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

JC-MX5

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JC-MX5   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh believe you me, paint is a non issue. A lot of SM cars are rattle canned anyway! lol As is my future racer. I know how much contact to expect, that's for sure.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll be moving to Oregon in a couple of years when my fiancee finishes her associates degree down here.

--------------------
Josh Chaney

jim kettelkamp

Region: GRR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jim kettelkamp     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

just curious JC, what is your previous track/racing experience?

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

JC don't know where you are located in Florida, but we are racing at Sebring this weekend and PBIR labor day. Come down and talk with some of the drivers. OPM, ISC, Autotechnik, BSI, will all be there this weekend.

--------------------
Paul McLester

RoninGT21

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RoninGT21   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I might be making my racing debut in SM hopefully in couple of years. I could not find it around, so I'm asking here. Do you need a special license and if yes, how do you obtain one?

--------------------
Professional Sim-Racer... Rally, VLN, F3... still manage to have a life too [Smile]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You need either an SCCA Novice permit or a NASA Novie license. Check out SCCA.com (club Racing) http://scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=43
or NASA
http://www.nasaproracing.com/

--------------------
Paul McLester

JC-MX5

quote:
Originally posted by jim kettelkamp:
just curious JC, what is your previous track/racing experience?

I have a background in karting. I was driving during high school but unfortunately my enabler (dad) backed out and told me I'd never be a race car driver and to give up. Needless to say, we aren't on good terms. I have a couple unofficial wins to my name. It was just fun, exhibition stuff.

Admittedly, I am very much an amateur and will be getting the proper training/seat time before I even hope to enter any races.

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
JC don't know where you are located in Florida, but we are racing at Sebring this weekend and PBIR labor day. Come down and talk with some of the drivers. OPM, ISC, Autotechnik, BSI, will all be there this weekend.

I'd love to make it out to Sebring, but I just got myself a new job so no days off for me. However, I will definitely try for PBIR. I live 15 minutes from the track in Jupiter.

--------------------
Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

The PBIR event... is it ON labor day itself? Or labor day weekend? I've been checking their website like a madman, but their schedule doesn't say squat.

--------------------
Josh Chaney

RoninGT21

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RoninGT21   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
You need either an SCCA Novice permit or a NASA Novie license. Check out SCCA.com (club Racing) http://scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=43
or NASA
http://www.nasaproracing.com/

Ok, thank you. How big are the fees for the race?
And are the prices for renting a car on the race day the same as the prices tor the driver school?

--------------------
Professional Sim-Racer... Rally, VLN, F3... still manage to have a life too [Smile]

Here in Florida we have probably the lowest entry fees in the country...so adjust these for your area. A regional here in CFR is $180-$220 for a weekend which usually includes at least 2 qualifying sessions and 2 races. NASA Fl has been offering $199 per weekend for the same thing. The double SARRC race this last weekend was $300 for the 2 q, 2race weekend. A double national will cost $400-450 here in CFR. Now add fuel, food, lodging, parts, wear and tear,etc. Don't know about rental prices.

--------------------
Paul McLester

NASA FL at PBIR is Sept 4-5. http://www.drivenasafl.com/speed/

or read the NASA Southeast postings.

--------------------
Paul McLester

JC-MX5

And of course I don't check NASA. D'oh. Thanks!

--------------------
Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

Well, after asking in advance, the only two days I'm scheduled to work this week are this Saturday and Sunday. :/

Looks like I'll have to immerse myself with in-person SM knowledge another time. There goes my weekend.

--------------------
Josh Chaney

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: