Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Flat spotted tires

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Flat spotted tires
Rob Gendreau

Region: NorCal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Gendreau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unfortunately the car has been sitting on its tires for a very long time now; months, without moving.

I'm afraid they've become flat spotted. Anything I can do to remedy the situation before I take it out for a trackday (not racing)? (Short of buying new ones...).

Thanks,
Rob

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just put them to the proper pressure and drive it. They'll be fine.

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with DB, as soon as they get hot you will be good to go.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We flat spotted 4 just shaved RA1's. My son went both feet in at a point the car was perpendicular to the direction of travel which did a number on the leading tires(passeger front & rear)with a 4" spot down to the cord. The other 2 tires have about a 2-3" spot that went down to about 1/32". These are on the inside edge of the tires

Question? Other than a balance issue has anyone done this and had success getting more life out of the tire?? Or are they toast? We are mid-packers if that makes a difference.

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They will lock up again, at the same spot. This time it will flat spot down to air and your race will be done.

Dennis Valet

Region: NYR/North East Division
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Valet     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you flatspot a tire bad enough, it will most likely experience skidding/lockup just about every rotation at that spot when you are braking, wearing it down to the cords slowly but surely.

Ken Wilkinson Verified Driver

Car #: 228
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The flat spot that Rob Gendreau is describing will be no problem after the tire gets warmed up.
The flat spotted tires that Ron Alan describes are probably toast.

--------------------
Ken

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the info guys...I figured this was the case but was holding out hope for a better answer!

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 the flat spots caused in a skid or spin normally can't be used again, I do know someone who "track shaved" some flat spotted tires..... they worked fine. Track shaving involves burning the tires down to the flat spot by hooking the car to a tow vehicle and.... well, you can guess the rest.....

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm planning to run my Watkins Glen wreck tires in a few weeks and will report back on how they perform. They're not bad but I can see the flat spots.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
I'm planning to run my Watkins Glen wreck tires in a few weeks and will report back on how they perform. They're not bad but I can see the flat spots.

Wear a mouthguard... [Big Grin]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by tony senese:
+1 the flat spots caused in a skid or spin normally can't be used again, I do know someone who "track shaved" some flat spotted tires..... they worked fine. Track shaving involves burning the tires down to the flat spot by hooking the car to a tow vehicle and.... well, you can guess the rest.....

[scratchchin] Makes me think I can salvage 2 of them by having them shaved again to 2/32?? Pretty sure our local guy will do this... [yep]

--------------------
-RA

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the flat spot is shallow enough rotate it to the rear inside, non loaded tire, to the predominant turn on the track and run a couple of practice sessions. It might be a little bumpy at first but it will smooth out and be serviceable in a pinch. If you leave it on the front it will continue to lock up and increase the flat spot.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Alan:
quote:
Originally posted by tony senese:

[scratchchin] Makes me think I can salvage 2 of them by having them shaved again to 2/32?? Pretty sure our local guy will do this... [yep]
This is 2nd or 3rd hand info so take it fwiw...

I'm told that rocks and other crap picked up on the tires is bad for the shaving machine so if you're going to take used square tires and try to get them round again, at a minimum you'll need to clean off the marbles or pay someone to do it. I take a heat gun and a putty knife and slowly heat and scrape my tires if they're covered with tire turds before balancing used tires or if I want a nice clean set for an out lap. Unless they look nice and clean, it's probably a must before someone will put them on a shaving machine.

Personally I just throw out the square ones and rotate the round ones in with other sets

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most places won't touch a used tire on a shaving machine because the debris in the rubber wears out the blades on the shaving tools.

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We shave used tires~if you make them clear of stones.
We have had success shaving flat spots out IF there is enough rubber on the spot to worry with.

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Ron,

The two that are showing cord are no good. But the others can be used. Just put them on the back. Additional lockup probably won't be a big deal. I do this all the time.

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Les Schwab will shave used. They ship them to Oregon so it takes a week to get them back.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bruce- Greg B. told me the cost has gone up so now it's hardly worth having LS shave them. Something like $25 a tire plus shipping both ways. I was thinking about doing that with my 888 rains but now I'm thinking different.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
Hey Ron,

The two that are showing cord are no good. But the others can be used. Just put them on the back. Additional lockup probably won't be a big deal. I do this all the time.

-Juan

Thanks Juan...I was definitely going to give this a shot. Plus the flat spots are actually on the inside edge of the tire...not in the middle.

Wait...are you trying to keep the kid behind you?? [Razz]

--------------------
-RA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: