search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Seat Time

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Seat Time
tom_hampton

Region: SW
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tom_hampton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okay, so now I've done all of two HPDE events in rented SM cars (one from keith Verges, and one from TeamMER), and managed to upgrade to the next run-group. Now, I'm completly hooked. All pretense at resistence has been thoroughly washed away.

I have a car now (a 92). It came with a hard-dog roll-bar, and a hard-top. The engine was replaced about 5 years ago. I just need to go over the corners to make sure they are safe and trackable, replace the brakes, replace the radiator, and put some Dunlop Starspecs on.

The issue is that the HPDE events that I'm aware of are pretty spread out in time (every couple of months or so). Once every 2 months is hard (esp as a new driver), because you back-track so much. There must be more options out there, I just don't know them. So....

I'm in Dallas. What do the others in the area do (or recommend) to get more seat time for a novice/intermediate driver...without just throwing rediculous amounts of money at the problem? I know some money is going to be involved, but $1000/day for private instruction isn't very realistic. I'm still just a working stiff.

thanks.

-tch

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton
Miata build: http://www.tomhampton.info

tom_hampton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tom_hampton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I suppose I should also list the HPDE that I already know about:

1. Apex Driving Acedemy (Keith Verges' school)
2. The Driver's Edge

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

tLinder

Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome, sounds like you "drank the Kool-Aid". [laughing]
In my opinion you've going down the right path...
Apex (Keith), The Driver's Edge (Rick) & Team MER [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Eagles Canyon has track days, $150/day
http://www.eaglescanyon.com/2008/ecrtd.php

NASA TX has HPDE, $295 w/e and you'll be able to meet the some local SM'ers. Next event Oct 2/3.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1088

(And hate to tell you this, but you will end up throwing ridiculous amounts of money at this, but it's worth it [Smile]

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

BMW club in Dallas is a bunch of good guys.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

tom_hampton

Ahem...yes, looking for more Kool-Aid to drink. [Big Grin]

Have a pile of money, but its not infinite. So, I do want to be somewhat efficient about its use. The HPDE events all seem to be about $100 / hour of track time. The private instruction I've looked into is more like $500 / hour. Maybe I'm wrong, but driving the car at speed seems like most of what I need, rather than monopolizing a single instructor for a day. That seems like it makes more sense once I'm in the advanced groups...looking for tenths, rather than 10's of seconds. Am I wrong in that assumption?

The Oct 2/3 event looks pretty packed with stuff: HPDE2-4, TT, etc. I can't tell how many run sessions per group per day...or how long the track sessions are?

The description also doesn't mention HPDE1. Since I'm new to the group, presumably I'd need to start there. But, the registration doesn't list a contact email. Do you know who I could ask before registering?

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

tom_hampton

perhaps I should have been more clear:

Private instruction ~ $700 to $1000 / day which includes about ~2 hours of track time.

-tch

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom,

Get use to trailering the car around. Texas World Speedway (TWS)in College Station has an HPDE every month and Driver's Edge also holds events at TWS. Once you graduate to Blue Solo (esentially one level above where you are now) then you can go to TWS Open Track Days (about once a month) on Friday afternoons for $125 for 4 hours of track time.

--------------------
Michael Ross

tLinder

Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by tom_hampton:
Ahem...yes, looking for more Kool-Aid to drink. [Big Grin]

Have a pile of money, but its not infinite. So, I do want to be somewhat efficient about its use. The HPDE events all seem to be about $100 / hour of track time. The private instruction I've looked into is more like $500 / hour. Maybe I'm wrong, but driving the car at speed seems like most of what I need, rather than monopolizing a single instructor for a day. That seems like it makes more sense once I'm in the advanced groups...looking for tenths, rather than 10's of seconds. Am I wrong in that assumption?

The Oct 2/3 event looks pretty packed with stuff: HPDE2-4, TT, etc. I can't tell how many run sessions per group per day...or how long the track sessions are?

The description also doesn't mention HPDE1. Since I'm new to the group, presumably I'd need to start there. But, the registration doesn't list a contact email. Do you know who I could ask before registering?

NASA does has HDPE 1, it's under the pull-down option. NASA TX is geared towards the competition side and their HDPE car counts are <20 for HDPE 1-4.
If you're in Green / non solo Blue, then TDE and Apex would be good use of your funds / time. If you've been soloed by TDE / Apex, then most organizations will honor that and not make you start over. They would probably place you with an instructor for a session or two, which is always good!
General info here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html
NASA TX contact, I'd start with Kevin Nixon, http://www.nasatxracing.com/contact.php

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in the Dallas area also. I'd recommend the TWS DE's (run by TWS), ECR DE's (run by ECR) for just seat time. But I actually run quite a bit with Porsche club and can highly recommend their instructors. And there are a surprising number of miatas running at PCA DE's. At the PCA Lonestar region events at TWS, we have 6 or 8 spec miatas running typically. It's a blast.

NASA HPDE makes a lot of sense for you if you plan to get licensed to race NASA SM at some point. They are a great bunch to run with.

Bottom line is that if you want track time in Texas, there are so many organizations running at the three primary tracks (ECR, MSR-C, and TWS) that you could just about run every weekend if you had the stomach (and cash) for it!

PS. PCA (Maverick Region) is running a DE at MSR-C September 18. Don't know if it is already sold out, but I'll be at that event. Registration for PCA is through clubregistration.net .

PPS. You definitely want to register for the NASA event at ECR at the begining of October!

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Find the clubs that stick an instructor in the car with you. You'll get more out of the experience when you're starting out than just driving around solo at your 4th, 8th, 13th or whatever HPDE making the same mistakes over and over. Hell, you may not even know that you're making those mistakes. I think I did around 60-70 HPDE days in my massaged street car over a 4 year period before I got into racing...and I don't plan to go back to HPDE anytime soon as it is boring in comparison [yep]

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

tom_hampton

Ok. So, I see the following:

1. Apex
2. TDE
3. NASA HPDE
4. BMW club
5. Porsche Club
6. ECR track days
7. TWS track days

Gonna have to go collect and colate all the calendars.

Yes, I much prefer the idea of having an incar instructor. I like Apex because of the level of instructor involvement even in the intermediate group. Also, because I like Cresson, too.

I don't intend to go all the way to 60-70 track days before getting into racing...but, that really depends on how quickly the driving ability develops...and how quickly the car reaches a full-race-prep state. Since I don't intend to mod the car until I'm ready for the "next level" the two are intertwined (unless something breaks).

-tch

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did one year of HPDE approx 12. This year went to the SCCA comp school, obtained my novice race license. You already have a race preped car, buy the required gear, Hans etc, and you are on your way. I have now done five races SSM, two more this year and I will have my National. Jump in, like they say most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: