Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Crashing at the Runoffs. (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  next » 

Author Topic: Crashing at the Runoffs.
Mike Anzaldi

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Anzaldi     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There has been relatively little discussion about the contact that seemed to define the event for quite a few. Being new to SCCA SM, I ask: Is this it? Is this type of contact really a part of the game? I can certainly appreciate all the discussion about making ten years worth of cars equal, but seeing that we can't seem to agree that all the 99's are equal, I think it's worth shifting some attention to racing safety- if there ever was an oxymoron. All of those in favor of 60 car fields have conveniently ignored the fact that this race was diminished by the impromptu yard sale taking place all over the countryside. This doesn't include those who crashed and were able to carry on. Two full-course cautions erased 5 laps of racing. Seeing that the race for a podium is ultimately between 20 cars or so, I'm wondering: what's the upside to a 60-car field? Big participation might be good, but shitty races are bad. In another thread, someone said the fields for the championship races are made up of less than 1% of the nationwide participants. People who struggle to keep control of their machine while trying to chase down positions they will never catch are a problem. Way too many dudes driving way over their heads because it's the 'big race.'

Contact in this class is much too acceptable, IMO. I honestly think that rational thinking and decision making is secondary to passing and moving through the field for some drivers. Patience and consistency is tough to come by outside of the top 10 in my region. I would be all for the club coming down hard on contact. Avoidable contact should be worth a seat on the sidelines. That said, if the contact is part of the class- that's fine, I can simply decide to move to a class where it is not tolerated. Love me a formula car [thumbsup] This is casual club racing and many of us have little kids, and other reasons to live. Swapping paint with loonies shouldn't even be on the menu.

Here is a link to a little bit of video from my car. It all goes wrong at the 1:45 mark. Sideways at 85mph through grass is a recipe for rolling over 5 times. I have no interest in assigning blame here. It is, however, dumb luck that the car is not totaled and I'm not injured. Not my idea of good times. this was the fight for a mid-20's position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxYogyB_370

--------------------
Mike

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did you protest? If not - why not?

(PS, I don't think you can categorize the Runoffs as "casual club racing")

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did you file a protest on the driver that made contact with you? I know this is not about placing blame, just curious if you did follow the due process to address the incident?

Edit: Mr. Mathias and I obviously think alike here, you beat me to it...

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was thinking the same thing. Did anyone file paper on any driver conduct at the Runoffs.

This isn't just a Runoffs problem. At all levels, this class races very close to one another. I think from now on I am just going to have the protest paperwork already started for section 6.11.1 A, B, C and D and taped to the rear quarter pannel on each side of my car. Maybe even in a stack of peel and stick post it note style just to keep up with the volume?

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Anzaldi:
People who struggle to keep control of their machine while trying to chase down positions they will never catch are a problem. Way too many dudes driving way over their heads because it's the 'big race.'

You outbraked yourself off track at 1:30, bumpdrafted in the turn at 1:55, and other guys are the ones pushing too hard?

I don't believe the contact was your fault, but were you moving to the right just a bit? I never saw the wheel straighten out. [scratchchin]

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah that was crap.

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think SM did better than this class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZxEleuPPc

At least the field got past the green flag!

Motor City Hamilton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CLee:

I heard that crash was the result of a drive train failure by a car in the front row, not the result of rough driving.

Mike Anzaldi

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Anzaldi     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No. I didn't protest. I hate being that guy. I protested some guy for running Toyo 888's at the June Sprints because he couldn't read the rule book. I felt like an idiot doing it. Imagine...a grown man telling other grown men about a grown man who wasn't playing by the rules. It took 2 hours of my time and didn't do a goddamn thing except make me feel like a 6 year old. I completely respect that the process is to protest, but I just couldn't spend anymore time in front of stewards complaining. I'm protesting right here, right now. I'm not pissed, and I don't really care about finishing 35th or 25th. I just want to continue to have the time of my life in my lovely Drago race car without substantial risk of bodily harm or death. Rubbin is not racin- despite what they say in the movies. Race car driving is not for everybody. It's really hard to lap a Miata quickly, and it's humbling trying to do it on the same track as some of the country's best amateur drivers in the class. I just think that it's worth everyone's time and safety to think about your hobby, and whether it's the right way to spend time and money. You shouldn't take a spot on the grid of a race track because you can afford it, and need to get out of the house. There should be more. Seems like the same folks end up in the wall every time. My point is: reel it in, for all our sake. Banging your way through a spec Miata field doesn't make you as cool as you think it does.

This is directed at NO ONE in particular, so I don't really want to hear from the moderators about how I'm being rude or disrespectful, Blake [Wink]

Just trying to start a dialog about safety. I really want to continue to race, and race in SCCA. I like that club and think they do an exceptional job. However, I won't come back to the SCCA next year if this culture of wrecking is the norm. The Sprints were the same story. I don't really care that it was a wet track. Drive slower.

Cheers

--------------------
Mike

Mike Anzaldi

quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.:
quote:
People who struggle to keep control of their machine while trying to chase down positions they will never catch are a problem. Way too many dudes driving way over their heads because it's the 'big race.'

You outbraked yourself off track at 1:30, bumpdrafted in the turn at 1:55, and other guys are the ones pushing too hard?

I don't believe the contact was your fault, but were you moving to the right just a bit? I never saw the wheel straighten out. [scratchchin]

glad you pointed that one out steve. seeing that i'm the one who compiled my video, it wasn't a mistake that i included my idiot rookie move in turn 5 while trying to get past my teammate and friend of 20 years. we were also on the radio during the whole race, and obviously, during that pass attempt. knowing my friend wouldn't punt my attempt, i tried the pass. the big loser: me. no one was at risk of colliding during that exchange. i went wide, period. i don't have issues with people going wide trying to stick a pass. i have issues with CRASHING. you can push till you shit your pants so long as it doesn't result in a CRASH. you are mistaken about the bump draft before the crash.

--------------------
Mike

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike,

If you just want to have fun, do what I do and stick to regional events.

If you don't care where you finish then why do you enter the championship event? Because you can?

Most of us hate contact too - we've had that discussion here many times. In the SCCA if you don't protest, nothing happens - just the way it is.

By the way - this is a substantially risky hobby.

"Drive slower" ?!? I'm afraid I don't understand.

-Denny

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hard to tell for sure, but your re-entry to the track around 1:30 didn't look very safe. You came back on track right at the track out point and the silver car had to avoid you.

What happened between you and the black car is hard to tell, but it looks like both of you decided to get close when you had room to create a gap between you.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
no one was at risk of colliding during that exchange.

I agree, you were not going to hit another car when you went out of bounds. However, when someone fights a spin like that it can easily stack up traffic behind, leading to other problems. Luckily, the several cars behind you were able to get through cleanly as you wrestled with a couple hands full of wheel.

quote:
you are mistaken about the bump draft before the crash.
Sorry, I was watching your helmet when I made that assumption. I guess you were nodding to the car ahead? (Like this, only a little faster? [yep] ) [Roll Eyes]

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And that car that took him out is the same car that took out someone in canada corner earlier in the video. Same guy 3 cars out of the race, not including himself who also didn't finish the race.

I wasn't one of the cars, at least not on that day. In Q3 I was taken out by someone trying to be a hero, in qualifying at that. He lost it before he ever turned in to 14 and continued trying to save it until he took me out at the exit of 14 and put me in the wall drivers right.

The sad thing is none of these incidents caught the attention of the stewards from what I understand. During the race there were also several passes under yellow, two people (at least) passed 6 plus cars under double yellow at start finish and the stewards did nothing until someone protested. It shouldn't be that way, I don't care if there is a protest procedure or not.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
quote:
Originally posted by CLee:

I heard that crash was the result of a drive train failure by a car in the front row, not the result of rough driving.
That is correct, Heinrecy on the outside pole had a mechanical failure leading to the chaos.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Two Problems:

First; I pulled up my grid sheet you started directly in the middle of the "kill zone". People that want to win, think they can, but have absolutely zero chance in reality. Back there I would recommend survival and minimize your risks with side by side action with people who are unknowns (or known crazy)

Second; I think this years format allowed way too many unqualified persons to participate. Some people were just over their head. Before this year, I went through the entry list, reviewed drivers experience and noted everyone I wanted to avoid. I only whacked one knucklehead on Saturday practice sending him around and wrinkling my fender.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have multiple issues with this thread. But first, I don't disagree that there are too many crashes in SM. That's part of the reason I chose to concentrate entirely on enduro racing as a PTE car--I just got tired of doing bodywork.

Now on to the issues:

First, you didn't protest because you didn't want to me "that guy." If it's a big enough deal that you spend 20 minutes writing about it on SM.com, it's worth 20 minutes of time at the track filling out a protest form.

Second, crashes normally happen when you "push till you shit your pants" so you can't really say that you're okay with that as long as it doesn't result in a crash. No one intends to crash, but it happens. I think this was just a bad choice of words on your part, because usually if someone is pushing till they shit their pants, it means they're driving past their limits. Personally I try not to scare myself while driving. I think what you meant is push as hard as you want as long as it's within your limits and

Third, an old saying about throwing stones in glass houses comes to mind. Your opportunistic passing at the 0:30 mark in the video is easily the most egregious thing I saw in the entire video. It didn't look like you checked up at all when two cars went off ahead of you. You just plowed right through the field. THAT's how crashes happen!

Finally, SCCA's practices regarding contact are kind of ridiculous. I started racing NASA where they have a very strict body contact rule--you have contact with damage and you have to fill out a body contact report. By the time of my first SCCA race I hadn't had any contact whatsoever in a NASA race, but that all changed at SCCA. My first SCCA race, I had door to door contact with someone trying to close the door after I was well alongside. After the race I ask an SCCA official where to get a body contact form. He looked at me like I asked him where to find unobtainium. He asked if I wanted to file a protest. I said no, we had already talked it over. He said "you're good then."

The moral of this story is that the only way to properly document who may not be driving safely is to actually DOCUMENT THE CRASHES. You start racking up body contact forms and you're going to get put on probation, suspended or even banned entirely. But it all starts with documentation. Not only that, but requiring a body contact form is a pretty decent deterrent to having contact, because who wants to be filling out paperwork after a race?

I'm not trying to start an SCCA vs. NASA discussion, but there are definitely things that each sanctioning body can learn from the other. And one thing SCCA can learn from NASA is how to properly document crashes with an eye toward avoiding future issues.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tim I worked with the SOC and can tell you that passes under the yellow were called in all week by corner workers, as well as passes under the red! Drivers were stopped at the end of pit lane, questioned, and in some cases fined before they ever left the pit lane. I for one am sick and tired of people bitching about contact and passes under the yellow and then not throwing paper because they hate "being that guy." If you want more contact called in and dealt with....tell your area director and stewards.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Mike Anzaldi

Well, okay.

It hadn't occurred to me that it would actually be my driving that stands out as suspect in this video. It's good to know. Maybe I'm one more reason why an open field at the Runoffs is worth a discussion.

Since I'm the one who could use a refresher in safe, gentlemanly racing, please offer suggestions for improving my racing and reducing my recklessness. I prefer to NOT be part of the problem, and some of these responses have really turned me around about this issue. I'm still not sure how my driving in this video actually caused crashes, but I'm still in the room and will listen with an open mind to any who can explain how my actions created an unsafe environment for the racers beside me.

--------------------
Mike

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob - IMO the idea of a Body Contact form for all contacts is a GREAT starting point - the document trail starts here. This should be mandatory.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Tim I worked with the SOC and can tell you that passes under the yellow were called in all week by corner workers, as well as passes under the red! Drivers were stopped at the end of pit lane, questioned, and in some cases fined before they ever left the pit lane. I for one am sick and tired of people bitching about contact and passes under the yellow and then not throwing paper because they hate "being that guy." If you want more contact called in and dealt with....tell your area director and stewards.

I didn't say they were not called in by the corner workers, I said nothing was done until someone protested and it should not be that way. The driver that passed me, as well as about 8 others, under double yellow was not stopped at the end of pit lane. That's great that others were but didn't happen in this case. And I have to say 4 off in the grass from the top of the hill all the way to turn one at full speed when the double yellow was out at 14 should probably draw the attention of stewards without someone protesting. As far as you being sick and tired maybe you should take some medicine and a nap. This particular driver was protested and penalized so your comment about people bitching and not protesting because they don't want to be that guy is just a bit uncalled for.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike,

Your actions didn't necessarily cause crashes, but that doesn't meant they won't. It's all a numbers game. Someone may get away with a risky move 9 times out of 10, but that doesn't mean it's advisable.

A few things that you could have done differently to reduce your risk of crashing:

0:30 Checking up. If you ever find yourself playing Pole Position with the guys in front of you (that's an Atari reference for the tweens in our audience) then you haven't check up enough.

0:46 Checking up when the silver car moves over on you. Yes, you had the momentum, but what if he hadn't seen you and stopped his move? Side by side contact with you in the grass (and the wall).

1:35 Keeping your car off track until it's safe to re-enter and/or re-entering after the track out point.

2:00 Don't even hint at fading to the right. You had plenty of space on your left. Use it.

These moves are only suggestions to keep you safe. They won't win you races, but they'll keep you coming back to race again and again.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike,

I'd like to understand better the positions of the cars when you touched. Judging from your view of the car ahead, it looks to me like you were a little left of center, with maybe a car width to your left. And also it looks to me like you squeezing toward the right side of the track as you nose ahead of the #140. The squeezing is hard to judge, but I'm looking at the relationship of your right mirror to the right side of track. Is that accurate?

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Region: NER
Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think I see the same things. No solid rev match causes your spin, then you DO bump the car in front of you in the turn - which COULD have resulted in him going off...

As to the black car, the hit seems way harder than anyone just moving in on someone. If that guy ounted someone prior (see his LF damange?) I am sure he whacked you.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports
www.flatout-motorsports.com

quote:
... but I'm still in the room and will listen with an open mind to any who can explain how my actions created an unsafe environment for the racers beside me.

[thumbsup] I commend you for that attitude.

EMI

Region: Ark
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EMI     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sometimes the contact is just unavoidable racing contact. The first full course caution was just that. In this instance there was no need to "throw paper". The two drivers in question have raced each other multiple times in the past couple of years and had a good conversation, both of them agreeing on what happened.
This was not a driver driving over his head, or one that has contact while racing. We have been racing the same car for four years and havent had to do any body work or paint work the entire time. He finished third this year in MiDiv behind Kyle Jones, and Jim Drago. Yes he was starting towards the back, but it was from transmission issues in qualifying. I can promise you it wasn't from him "driving over his head because its the Big Race"!

The funny thing about all of this is that we should be pissed off. He made it about half a lap, and now I have a trailer full of scrap metal. We are a very low budget team that has taken a 1.6 to the RunOffs two years now, but looks like 2011 will be spent at home saving up to build another car instead of complaining about making the 1.6 competitive!!

--------------------
Edens Motorsports Inc
Kevin Edens
Sponsor, motorhome driver, chef, and Dad to #26 SM Chris Edens

"Don't eat the track food, it'll kill ya!"

Neil O Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: DC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Neil O   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For me the race was quite a letdown because of some of the contact you can see in Mikeís video.

Iíll also say the driver of car # 40 really could use the ďtipsĒ Mike is getting. I would post my video but, the stewards have it. I knew the drive bomb was coming @ 31 seconds as soon as he didn't get in line to brake for Canada corner. I had seen enough of him by that point to know what was coming next. Sure enough he shot past me on the inside with all 4 locked up and used the #22 car as brakes. Had I not over slowed I would be fixing my car as well. #40 was 4 off again in the grass in turn 3. Then, he appeared again in my rear view at turn 1 and two more cars ended up with damage and in the grass. Finally, the #40 car protested the #7 car for contact. I gave the #7 my video.

--------------------
SM #06
http://www.columbiatile.com

Motor City Hamilton

Wow. I cannot believe how much abuse all of you are throwing at this guy. Let's just avoid talking about the real issues of real contact and pound on a guy for wanting to talk about fixing things. Yes, I agree that his move at :30 was pretty agressive, but please, what should he have done differently with the other two situations. He over shot a corner by a few feet and re-entered the track at a nice smooth angle. It wasn't like he was off in the weeds for twenty seconds. Everyone behind him saw him go off and could see him easing back on. And the crash... we are analyzing if he moved over a smidge to the right. Come on. He got planted! Was the 140 car pissed at him for some reason? Where did the 140 car damage come from prior to this incident. The 140 car had two lanes to the inside yet noone is putting him at fault. Unbelieveable.

Mike, you were a little agressive in one spot on your video. The rest, I see your point. I would have protested getting sent like that in such a straight part of the track. Just uncalled for. There has to be more to this story that what we saw on the video.

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by EMI:
Sometimes the contact is just unavoidable racing contact.

Not commenting on your crash in particular, but in my experience I have yet to see one of these.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA