Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Crashing at the Runoffs. (Page 3)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 3 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  next » 

Author Topic: Crashing at the Runoffs.
Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Tim you said in an earlier post that you were protested and penalized. Care to enlighten us so we can learn from your situation?

I was not protested. The driver that passed several of us down the front straight during the 1st FCY was.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the clarification.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
quote:
Originally posted by Waterboy:
I'm sorry but that guy is an ass, you are doing 115 +/- at that point. Same guy took me out in qualifying. Doesn't show real clear in Blake's video but he went 4 off in the grass after Canada corner and at least took part in that wreck that took 2 cars out of the race. If I am remembering correctly he received quite a penaly in NASA a couple of years ago-possibly even banned.

I've heard he is a nice guy, sure can't tell that from his track record.

Tim you think somebody is an ass for having an accident and collecting you in it? Maybe if you would hang it out every time you get on the track you would not be 3+ seconds off of the pace. By the way you might want get you facts straight before implying that he did something wrong at NASA. HE was hit by another driver and he got pissed and took it out on him at impound. It was what happened off the track that he got in trouble for. Also if you think 2 wheels off or holding your line when someone tries to move you off the track is bad form than you may not want to race in the SE.
To use your phrase from another post, don't let the facts stand in your way.

I don't think someone having an accident and collecting me in it is an ass. I think someone that tries to be a hero and save a car that they cleary can't is an ass. Especially when they don't locate the other driver involved and discuss it. Jeff might be the greatest person in the world, I wouldn't know since he never bothered to find me and discuss the incident.

I'm not going to bother to do the math for you but I think if you go back and look you'll see I was not 3 seconds off the pace, that is until after my car was wrecked on Wednesday. I think were I qualified and finished in a 63 car field was pretty respectable for never having been to the track. As far as hanging it out there, doesn't both me at all I just try to make sure I know when I've gone too far.

As far as NASA, yes I would say that someone who intentionally "t-bones" someone at 30 or so miles per hour(from what I heard) while they are sitting still in tech is an ass as well, I don't care what happened on track.

Finally other videos have now surfaced so people can form their own opinions. You have mine.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

quote:
quote:
I'm sorry but that guy is an ass, you are doing 115 +/- at that point. Same guy took me out in qualifying. Doesn't show real clear in Blake's video but he went 4 off in the grass after Canada corner and at least took part in that wreck that took 2 cars out of the race. If I am remembering correctly he received quite a penaly in NASA a couple of years ago-possibly even banned.

Please! That whole post is like me telling Michael Schumacher that he has no car control What you were implying about NASA is as equally incorrect! But I do thank you for the door handle; you saved me $8.72 on my bill as I needed the very one you gave Jeff.
Never implied he did not have any car control. From what I hear he is a very capable driver. Apparently on this particular weekend he just chose to not use his car control skills.

You are welcome for the door handle. Sorry I didn't get the chance to paint it for you.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

mr von charbonneau

Region: 83
Car #: any
Year : any
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hahahahah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Y50hE5ri8

hey jammie you still need to pay for that door handle it was 8.45 plus tax

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:

Tim you think somebody is an ass for having an accident and collecting you in it? Maybe if you would hang it out every time you get on the track you would not be 3+ seconds off of the pace. By the way you might want get you facts straight before implying that he did something wrong at NASA. HE was hit by another driver and he got pissed and took it out on him at impound. It was what happened off the track that he got in trouble for. Also if you think 2 wheels off or holding your line when someone tries to move you off the track is bad form than you may not want to race in the SE.
To use your phrase from another post, don't let the facts stand in your way.

I don't think someone having an accident and collecting me in it is an ass. I think someone that tries to be a hero and save a car that they cleary can't is an ass. Especially when they don't locate the other driver involved and discuss it. Jeff might be the greatest person in the world, I wouldn't know since he never bothered to find me and discuss the incident.

I'm not going to bother to do the math for you but I think if you go back and look you'll see I was not 3 seconds off the pace, that is until after my car was wrecked on Wednesday. I think were I qualified and finished in a 63 car field was pretty respectable for never having been to the track. As far as hanging it out there, doesn't both me at all I just try to make sure I know when I've gone too far.

As far as NASA, yes I would say that someone who intentionally "t-bones" someone at 30 or so miles per hour(from what I heard) while they are sitting still in tech is an ass as well, I don't care what happened on track.

Finally other videos have now surfaced so people can form their own opinions. You have mine.

See thats where you go wrong already! Listening to others and than implying that somebody did something that they did not. Do you really think that he drove into tech and T Boned another car at 30 MPH? Was that joke? What weed smoking moron did you hear that from? He drove into tech (pissed I might add) and was going to pull up close to the other driver to have words. Instead he slid through the mud and came to a rest up against the other car. Yes slight contact was made and he was wrong for that BUT that is completely different than T-Boning another driver at 30MPH.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

mr von charbonneau

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

that family pic was chips earley family pic

mullett head

mr von charbonneau

im sorry i stoped smoking

mr von charbonneau

by the way who was the retard that brough a door handle to dinner

mr von charbonneau

must have been meathead he worked for thrre hours

trying to open that door .hey tim he faked it dont let him charge you. in the spec miata manual

.5 for door handle at 12 bucks an hour

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mr von charbonneau:

The same one that was smoking the weed I think!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

chirp, chirp, chirp

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

David Levin

Region: washington dc region
Car #: 29
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Levin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, how old are you Jamie you act like a 5 year old. And yeah sliding into tech to yell at somebody is a d-bag manuever that should not be tolerated.

--------------------
DaveL

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty: I worked the runoffs and found myself being criticized for racing a Spec Miata with most of the people I met. The majority of comments were that we don't know how to race....just how to bang into each other and wreck the guy next to us.
Paul, I heard this from corner workers for the first time, almost a year ago when I sat out a race with a damaged car. First I thought they were just messing with me, but I have now heard it several times; from drivers in other classes, from several SCCA officials both in the SE and NE, and from medical personnel, that I am now getting the idea that there is a growing number of people affiliated with our sport that believe that Spec Miata drivers CANNOT drive cleanly, and CANNOT be trusted to drive in a way to earn their respect. (And in some cases they honestly believe we cannot drive at all)

So here we have the conundrum

What makes the class so great is the equality of the cars. (lets ignore the 99-1.6 parity argument for now). At Road America, if you discount Gorriarans Q1 time of 2.42.983, you then have 10 drivers from 2.44.0 to 2.45.0 (1 second). So over a 4-mile track that takes us 165 seconds to navigate, there is less than 0.6% variance over 4 miles, including 3 long straights and 14 turns, for the first 10 drivers, and then another 0.6% variance for the next 10.

If you think of the variety of
• Cars, their origins, their builders, their previous wrecks, etc.
• Engines, and engine builders
• Prep levels
• Setups, tire press, camber, castor and toe settings, cross weight, ride height etc.
• driving experience, styles and skill levels
present in those cars and drivers, it is something close to amazing that we are that close to each other.

And that is precisely what we love about Spec Miata, this super close racing. But this is also what breeds the frustration and aggressive driving behavior. That and the ability to so easily and relatively inexpensively rebuild these cars after these incidents . I have no doubt that throughout the TOP 20 qualifiers there were drivers who came to the Runoffs believing they had a legitimate shot at the title, and maybe there were drivers with those aspirations beyond the top 20 qualifiers as well. So here we a have a deeply talented pool of drivers in essentially equal cars all who believe they can get to the front.

And some behave better than others while trying to do it, some showing some respect and courtesy, and others feel that respect and courtesy have no place in a championship race.

Sure we know that Spec Miata drivers move on to do damn great things in this sport in Koni, Rolex, World Challenge, etc. (possibly more so from SM than any other class), but if we do not clean up our act, we are going to drive people away from what is in my opinion, the best game in town by far.

I think we, all SM drivers, collectively, should do a better job of keeping ourselves on the straight and narrow.

I like the NASA idea of having to fill out a Contact Forms for ALL contact. I think that airing these videos publically helps. It allows us all to weigh in on these matters and as we saw from the variety of viewpoints expressed by as all, many hold completely different opinions on what is right and what is wrong. But I think that if we do it in the open, do it with complete transparency, free of personal agendas (if possible) then I believe we have a chance of keeping this sport clean. And instead of heading home after a race with a whole lot of sheet metal damage to repair, we can head home with heads held high that we raced a clean race and showed our fellow racers the respect and courtesy they deserve.

Of course there will be unintentional contact, we all make mistakes, and when we do we seek out the person we wronged, we apologize profusely and beg for forgiveness.

The alternative is not pretty. Incidents mount, never forgotten. Resentment builds and grudges form, alliances made and tensions escalate, until someone gets really hurt and that is something that this class does not need.

Just one man's opinion, Flame suit on.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

quote:
must have been meathead he worked for thrre hours

trying to open that door .hey tim he faked it dont let him charge you. in the spec miata manual

.5 for door handle at 12 bucks an hour

Funny. I'll make sure to pass that along to him. Congratulations on the win.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

mr von charbonneau

hey dave better in tec then on the track.
I have raced with jeff for six years no mal intent stop it here. Pombos move bigger than jeffs

pick on me please.
ps were you a school teacher

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by David Levin:
Wow, how old are you Jamie you act like a 5 year old. And yeah sliding into tech to yell at somebody is a d-bag manuever that should not be tolerated.

A little older than 5 but not much! And yes I would agree that what he did was wrong. Hell he would admit it but that is not even close to T-Boning someone at 30 MPH at tech. If your going to call someone out you should have your story right.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Von C.

Hope you like your photos...tried to find your good side...still looking! [rolling on floor laughin]

P.S. Where's my Goodyear hat! [Smash]

--------------------
Paul McLester

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty: I worked the runoffs and found myself being criticized for racing a Spec Miata with most of the people I met. The majority of comments were that we don't know how to race....just how to bang into each other and wreck the guy next to us.
Paul, I heard this from corner workers for the first time, almost a year ago when I sat out a race with a damaged car. First I thought they were just messing with me, but I have now heard it several times; from drivers in other classes, from several SCCA officials both in the SE and NE, and from medical personnel, that I am now getting the idea that there is a growing number of people affiliated with our sport that believe that Spec Miata drivers CANNOT drive cleanly, and CANNOT be trusted to drive in a way to earn their respect. (And in some cases they honestly believe we cannot drive at all)

What makes the class so great is the equality of the cars. (lets ignore the 99-1.6 parity argument for now). At Road America, if you discount Gorriarans Q1 time of 2.42.983, you then have 10 drivers from 2.44.0 to 2.45.0 (1 second). So over a 4-mile track that takes us 165 seconds to navigate, there is less than 0.6% variance over 4 miles, including 3 long straights and 14 turns, for the first 10 drivers, and then another 0.6% variance for the next 10.

• Prep levels
• Setups, tire press, camber, castor and toe settings, cross weight, ride height etc.
present in those cars and drivers, it is something close to amazing that we are that close to each other.

And that is precisely what we love about Spec Miata, this super close racing. But this is also what breeds the frustration and aggressive driving behavior. That and the ability to so easily and relatively inexpensively rebuild these cars after these incidents . I have no doubt that throughout the TOP 20 qualifiers there were drivers who came to the Runoffs believing they had a legitimate shot at the title, and maybe there were drivers with those aspirations beyond the top 20 qualifiers as well. So here we a have a deeply talented pool of drivers in essentially equal cars all who believe they can get to the front.

And some behave better than others while trying to do it, some showing some respect and courtesy, and others feel that respect and courtesy have no place in a championship race.

Sure we know that Spec Miata drivers move on to do damn great things in this sport in Koni, Rolex, World Challenge, etc. (possibly more so from SM than any other class), but if we do not clean up our act, we are going to drive people away from what is in my opinion, the best game in town by far.

I think we, all SM drivers, collectively, should do a better job of keeping ourselves on the straight and narrow.

I like the NASA idea of having to fill out a Contact Forms for ALL contact. I think that airing these videos publically helps. It allows us all to weigh in on these matters and as we saw from the variety of viewpoints expressed by as all, many hold completely different opinions on what is right and what is wrong. But I think that if we do it in the open, do it with complete transparency, free of personal agendas (if possible) then I believe we have a chance of keeping this sport clean. And instead of heading home after a race with a whole lot of sheet metal damage to repair, we can head home with heads held high that we raced a clean race and showed our fellow racers the respect and courtesy they deserve.

Of course there will be unintentional contact, we all make mistakes, and when we do we seek out the person we wronged, we apologize profusely and beg for forgiveness.

The alternative is not pretty. Incidents mount, never forgotten. Resentment builds and grudges form, alliances made and tensions escalate, until someone gets really hurt and that is something that this class does not need.

Very well said.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
hey dave better in tec then on the track.
I have raced with jeff for six years no mal intent stop it here. Pombos move bigger than jeffs

pick on me please.
ps were you a school teacher

[rolling on floor laughin]
Oh wait! That is what a 5 year old would do. How about this, [burst]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

David Levin

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Levin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not trying to pick on anyone just bringing to light how childish this all sounds.

--------------------
DaveL

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Von C.

Hope you like your photos...tried to find your good side...still looking! [rolling on floor laughin]

P.S. Where's my Goodyear hat! [Smash]

Von C said he will get you a hat when you stop talking about splitting the class [Eek!]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

mr von charbonneau

hey dave answer the ? {teacher or bad public servant} 10 posts its all childish so is raceing
you nerd

mr von charbonneau

hey gator go indians sorry got you hat in my bag will give it to you at sebring thanks for the support think you should be pres of scca

David Levin

Neither, should i be sorry that im new to the sport and only have ten posts MR CHAMPION sir.

--------------------
DaveL

mr von charbonneau

hey denny please can you ues cliff notes and send me the short. sorry about your luck have been ther all my life.

in all of the se races i hope you can say and i wish you would no one tried to crash you

contact is contact you hit me and i dont cry

i hit you never

mr von charbonneau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLQrbo_i2Zw&feature=fvsr

mr von charbonneau

no sir but you should have a dog in the fight
and not be a marter

mr von charbonneau

For other uses of "Martyr" and "Martyrs", see Martyr (disambiguation).

Saint Sebastian, an iconic image of martyrdomA martyr (Greek: μάρτυς, mártys, "witness"; stem μάρτυρ-, mártyr-) is somebody who suffers persecution and death for the people, a country or an organization, or refusing to renounce a belief, usually religious, political or

David Levin

I thought i was a nerd

--------------------
DaveL

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 45
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ummm....we've hashed this "big race and crash" thing out numerous times. Remember the start to the first Runoffs in Topeka? How about this beauty from the ARRC in 2008:

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/43/3878.html#000002

To comment on the videos- Mike's move in Canada was sweet. However, if he wanted to avoid a crash then should have checked up to avoid any possibility. The two are mutually exclusive.

Danny's wreck was unavoidable but tried a fairly low percentage pass in 5. No wreck but could have been bad. However, I might have tried the same thing.

Anyone taken a weekend off from racing and seen what race group the folks in the paddock stop down to watch? The same thing that makes it fun to race SM is also what causes all of us immense headache. In my opinion the two are inseparable.
ie- not a problem that can be solved.

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very, very well said Danny.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

wow.. go away for a few hours and I miss all the fun! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

LMAO.... Von C. keeping himself and us entertained!

http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00015983/IMG_0017.JPG.jpg

--------------------
Paul McLester

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brutal race, I can honestly say I'm glad I wasn't there. I could easily have been right in the middle of that scrum and would probably be dealing with a partially or totally crashed car after spending a few grand and a week for a couple laps of racing. No thanks! Y'all have fun with that. :hammer: It's a shame that what I perceive to be the actions of a couple drivers can really taint the image of the class as a whole. For a showcase championship race that sure looked like some amateur stuff, and I'm not talking about the people at the back...

I believe SRF was green all the way to the checker? Maybe if all of the cars were the same in SM there wouldn't have been as many wrecks oh wait everything I've seen in the vids so far has been the same car [rolling on floor laughin]

CONGRATS TO VON C! TIME TO BACK IT UP WITH THE GOLD IN SRF NEXT YEAR!!!

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

mr von charbonneau

All kiding aside I will say when somthing happens at the track it should stay at the track
ps vidio on a open forum does not allow action to be taken if you had it share it .or right paper.

Jamie

I figured if they split the class I don't have to race you, Cliffie Chains, Alex, Chip, Danny, the new Munson mobile, and others! [yep]

Only thing wrong with my plan is that Buras is still running a 1.6! [Confused]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Mike Anzaldi

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Anzaldi     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

...and I'm the aggressive one. interesting.

--------------------
Mike

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First soap opera I've ever watched...I'm hooked [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Careful, I got my ass reamed a couple years ago for using the "r" word on this site.

I guess National Champions get a pass [Big Grin] [Razz]

-Denny

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
hey denny please can you ues cliff notes and send me the short. sorry about your luck have been ther all my life.

in all of the se races i hope you can say and i wish you would no one tried to crash you

contact is contact you hit me and i dont cry

i hit you never

I think you meant 'Danny', but honestly I'm not sure what you are saying. Can I get an interpreter [Big Grin]

-Denny... Danny... whatever

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Blake,
Thats the best video ever,awesome,thank you!
I know there is another 62 video's out there,works a little slow so lets see em.

--------------------
volante

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like everyone made new friends at the runoffs! [Roll Eyes]

JD... explain why your feelings were hurt? ...as you didn't have a car in the kill zone.

I have not met either Von C nor Jamie nor Jeff... but I do find this really entertaining.

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
quote:

• Prep levels

All kidding aside! Thanks Danny for taking the time to write this post. The class has gotten more aggressive over the past few years and we do need to keep ourselves in check better than we have in the past. I know I have made my share of low percentage moves (as we all have) that I wish I could take back. Wrecking your own car is bad but damaging someone else's car who was just an incident bystander takes the wind out of most of our sails; as it should. After seeing all of the torn up cars over the past year (many of which could have been avoided) I know that I certainly will try harder to avoid contact in the future. I hope the others do the same!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Filthy Phil

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Filthy Phil     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Blake,
Please post a little more video so we can see the wreck exiting the kink in lap one.

Does anybody else have video of the wreck in the kink?

When I came through there was a tire rolling one way and the wheel rolling the other way.

Car-nage everywhere caused me to shift to the left on the grass and do a little slide down the guard rail.

What a wild ride this race was.

--------------------
Phil

ADRENALINE! That’s my pay. You can’t buy it and you can’t bottle it.

Dennis Valet

Region: NYR/North East Division
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Valet     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spec miatas weren't allowed to bump draft, but that didn't apply to Formula Ford!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kbj3H2WO1E

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok.

I was sitting right behind the car in NASA tech that Jeff t-boned. It wasn't at 30 mph as implied, but there was no mudd either. The punishment of banning from NASA fit the action and SCCA would have done the same. I am not here to roast anyone publicly, but I witnessed it first hand. If people want the full story they can ask me privately.

There was a lot of stupid racing at this years runoffs for sure. If you look solely at the turn 5 incident sure they both had some fault. However if you take the whole lap before and the other accounts involving this driver this year I would reconsider. The red car clearly nailed my brother and valafar in a low percentage attempted 3 wide move out of canada ruining their races and taking out danny (saw it live). Granted Mark was defensive heading into 5 afterwards, but if I was launched airborn 1/2 a lap before I would not trust him beside me either.
We race with these same people year round in the SEDIV and all know who we can trust. Marks data was ~115 mph at that point.....

As an aside, I hate that this is taking away from an awesome drive by Von C. Congrats big boy.

ARRC 2010 Champ

Your brothers actions were stupid anyway you look at it and he caused his on crash! He drove Jeff down into the grass plain as day. There are a lot of drivers that would not lift in that situation. I don't think anyone was happy with the outcome as both parties are well liked. But there is no excuse for that move just as there was no excuse for going through the grass 3 wide into Canada corner if that is what happened. Although from the video I saw nothing wrong other than Mark making contact with another driver. In the end other drivers got the shaft and that's no cool no matter who was at fault .

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jamie,

not debating that. Just think the pattern shows more of the result. Watch the live race when it comes up on speedcasttv.com to see the canada corner incident. I watched it live and saw a poor choice that ruined 3 cars races. Most of the smart drivers at the front know if someone passes 3 cars in a lap and is going forward to follow them to the front as it will benefit both of you. Jeff always races without thinking in this way. He is very talented and is very fast. He tries to be clean and is a super person off the track that we consider a great friend. However, racecraft is something that is important in racing, especially when you get to big events to help place yourself in position to win. A lot of that requires you working with people and not racing every corner of every lap.....

People can battle accidents to no end. The thing that bothered me most was not the wreck, but when Mark went to talk to Jeff he blew him off and acted as if nothing happened. Not cool, any accident at ~115 mph on a straightaway, whether your fault or not, is worth figuring out.

This is not an attack on you or your peeps as you know we all race together and have a lot of respect for each other. Just with Jeff this is not the first time we have had similar incidents, with our post race conversations ending with him being on the border of asshole-ish.

I witnessed the NASA thing, other people at the runoffs this year have issue with him, and I know other people that do as well.

That's the pattern I'm talking about....

P.S. I'm done talking publicly about this. It's not fair to Mark or Jeff, who were the one's behind the drivers seats.

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mat pombo:
I watched it live and saw a poor choice that ruined 3 cars races.

Doc, keep counting - there's more than 3 [Smile]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Page 3 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: