Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » SCCA,, Broader Input

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SCCA,, Broader Input
JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a great time seeing old friends at the Runoffs. Stewards, BoD members, old teammates you name it, what I blast, really miss it.

A common topic came up, one few want to talk about. Our Club's future given the current structure. Since I love the club but am black balled to the inner workings (bad roofer Jim wanted some crazy class called SM to be national) thought I would summarize the common conversations and thoughts from the week for your input.

We have issues and we have lots going well. Regarding the issues...

1. Is it inappropriate to have CRB members with primarily formula and sports racer backgrounds making decisions on production based cars and vice versa? These groups are so far apart philosophically that they only muck up each others situations and good work.

2. Is it equally inappropriate for either to be making decisions on specs for Spec Miata?

3. IMO, the BoD needs to be making the big decisions on number and type of classes.

4. There needs to be separate CRB level groups for the formula/sports racer (including SRF,) production/GT/Touring/SS/IT and Spec Miata categories with authority to make technical specification decisions for that group only.

5. There needs to be a separate group advising the BoD on event operations, but the BoD needs to be making those decisions with input from the regions and stewards.

Thoughts?

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why separate CRB groups? Just make the advisory committees more than advisory committees. Make them the equivalent of working groups in standards. They will draft rules for their class. The level above (CRB) would basically ratify class rules (looking out for the club per se) and deal with cross-class issues like safety, etc. The BOD has NO business on day-to-day running of the club. They need to be making much higher level decisions (strategic). You have an professional executive team to deal with daily tasks not related to racing classes. The problem I saw from the inside is everyone meddling into the classes. So I agree with #3, #1, don't agree on #4, not sure what you mean with event operations (runoffs?)

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Site Founder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

#4 Separate the CRB so decisions are made by folks experienced in the class/category in question. This would prevent CRB members for going along with a decisions they don't understand. "If you support me on this in my class I will support you on that topic in yours". It's the influenced decisions that cause most of the adverse effects of late.

Event Operations = minimum practice/qualifying time
for Nationals, race length, driver penalties, etc...

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim,
As a member of the CRB for just under a year, I can tell you that not once have I heard anything even remotely close to the "If you support me..........." statement.
The Advisory Committees make all the calls on rules for their respective classes and groups. The CRB then works to bring the decisions of the various AC's to membership for comment and, finally to the BOD. The CRB might have to reword a decision to fit it in the GCR format, but the CRB, in the past year, has not gone against any AC request. Some AC requests have been turned down, by the membership input, but none have been turned down by the CRB.

Your final sentence is absolutely not true.

wheel CRB member and SM driver, and AS driver, and Licensed Scrutineer and former Advisory Committee member.

Site Founder

Wheel, thanks for the comments!!

So, you are saying that no decision within the CRB is ever influenced member to member (BoD, Adhoc included) or, that you have not seen it the past year? I assume that means every decision is done so unanimously in the end?

Laura Olsen and I are under NDAs with the SCCA from 2007. The details of that are probably not available to you. If they were, you might understand some of the issues I touch upon. I have never been on the CRB much less one year. I do have 22 years experience dealing with the various CBs (old name for what you do now), CRBs and BoD representatives. I know for sure that my last sentence "has" been true. I don't fault anyone, just looking for long term structure change.

I fully understand what the structure is on paper. That said, a whole other club is thriving built much upon the frustrations I echo here.

Again, thanks for the comments! Please continue, a healthy future is the only goal. I am hoping that my limited view from the outside is misguided. I'm also hoping to avoid details and situations opting to focus on the bigger picture of long term structure. I've been around for quite some time and have learned a great deal of patience.

(not so side note: many and sincere thanks to all who contribute their time to the club!)

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim,
When I first came on the CRB, moving from the ASAC, I was told that the system was designed to let the Advisory Committees do the research and write the rule changes and specifications, etc. My job, as part of the CRB was to move the AC's recommendations through the system. That included making them work within the GCR structure, put them out for member input, talk to racers who would be effected by the action, and then present them to the BOD.
To date, that is what has happened. The CRB has not forced anything through the system.
As an active AS driver and advocate, I have initiated some things that I have sent to the ASAC for them to deal with, as they would any request. Do they take my requests more seriously than the requests of any other? Maybe. But, my letters go through the same system that every other letter goes through.
Each advisory committee has several members of the CRB as their liaisons. I am a liaison to SM, AS and IT. As such, I attend all of their conference calls. Usually my function is to tell them if I think their action would be a rule change, a clarification, or whatever. I don't vote, and often don't even express my opinion.
When they vote on an issue, I present it at the next CRB meeting.
EVERY recommendation, from an AC, that I have presented has been supported by the CRB.
more later, I need a martini

Site Founder

You are the man Wheel, many thanks!

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

As and anecdotal story. A rule change was asked for, discussed in the advisory committee, researched, sent out for member input, passed by the committee, sent to the CRB, supported by the CRB and presented to the BOD, passed by the BOD and will become a rule for 2011. I got a call from a racer, who said, "How can you pass a rule like that? It will be terrible for the class." I said, "Well, the Advisory Committee voted 6-1 for it, and the members were 14-1 for it. In fact, your letter was the only letter in opposition."
He said, "But, it doesn't make any sense. It is a terrible rule."
Talk about frustration.

It is a lot like the mantra of rules stability. DO NOT KEEP CHANGING THE RULES. We demand rules stability. Just put my rule change through and then no more rule changes.

wheel

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
As and anecdotal story. A rule change was asked for, discussed in the advisory committee, researched, sent out for member input, passed by the committee, sent to the CRB, supported by the CRB and presented to the BOD, passed by the BOD and will become a rule for 2011. I got a call from a racer, who said, "How can you pass a rule like that? It will be terrible for the class." I said, "Well, the Advisory Committee voted 6-1 for it, and the members were 14-1 for it. In fact, your letter was the only letter in opposition."
He said, "But, it doesn't make any sense. It is a terrible rule."
Talk about frustration.

Arent they all that way?

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:

It is a lot like the mantra of rules stability. DO NOT KEEP CHANGING THE RULES. We demand rules stability. Just put my rule change through and then no more rule changes.

wheel

Amen

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 45
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Too many Jims in this thread so I'll break it up [Smile]

But- thanks to all for your work.

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jims, and wheel, I have to say that while I was in the SMAC, things started changing. The AC's got more respect. I know that wasn't true in the past. I have to believe it was mostly in part to two gentlemen that brought a fresh perspective to the CRB. Things are working more like the way I believe they should work as I stated above.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: