Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » New GUY! Looking to Get in. Question about diff years of Miatas

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New GUY! Looking to Get in. Question about diff years of Miatas
dowellz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dowellz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi, my name is Zach. I live in Dubuque, Ia which is pretty close to about 4-7 tracks. I am looking at getting into racing and have some questions about what year Miata's are being used the most? What makes the 99' so special?
I realize that from like 90-93 94+ the suspension is a different. and that the later year miatas have a 1.6 and the 94+ have 1.8's but what I am wondering is, is it worth the extra money to get the 99 instead of a 94? Thanks alot for any info.

jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's huge can of worms! Check the classifieds, there are some really nice cars for sale there. If your new to racing and do not have aspirations of being a national racer, any year car will do.

--------------------
Jason Ball

dowellz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dowellz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

haha, i kinda figured that would be said. Im not looking to be a Champion but I like to look deep into things before making a decision. I have found some 99's for sale in my area for about $3-4000. But I can also find a 94 for about $1000. These cars have a load of miles on them, but I plan on freshening up the motor anyways, so that isn't a concern to me.
what is a concern though is, would i gain alot from the extra money invested in the 99?
I looked a site that outlines the changes. It looks like for the 99 it is OBD 2 and a gauge changed.

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

IMO , I think everyone should start out with a 1.6 (90-93) car, I think it teaches you better car control and in general alot of fun to drive.

I think no matter what you decide you will have alot of fun in SM, All the cars will teach you alot about competition driving.

I've been in a 1.6 for a few years (my brain works a little slower than most), and have a hard time keeping up with some Random Guy in a local " Hill-Billy " rental car at Sebring Short

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Start with a 1.6 and buy a car already done. You will save time and money in the long run. You never said how much you weigh. If you are a big guys over 200 you might want to consider a different car than the 1.6

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My ULTRA-SLIM physique is exactly why I like the 1.6 so much... [thumbsup]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Zach, Just buy a 99. Otherwise you're going to have to rebuild a 1.6 every year when the rules change again. I'm serious.

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cliffy Chains:
IMO , I think everyone should start out with a 1.6 (90-93) car, I think it teaches you better car control and in general alot of fun to drive.

I think no matter what you decide you will have alot of fun in SM, All the cars will teach you alot about competition driving.

I've been in a 1.6 for a few years (my brain works a little slower than most), and have a hard time keeping up with some Random Guy in a local " Hill-Billy " rental car at Sebring Short
[/QUOTE
The National champ Von C in a 119HP 1.6 showed just how competitive that car can be with a good driver.
If you can get a good deal on a 1.6 buy it. Of course if you can get a good deal on any SM buy it. Don't listen to the naysayers as all of the cars have been competitive at various tracks over the past year; especially the 1.6.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

KW78

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KW78     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dowellz:
Hi, my name is Zach. I live in Dubuque, Ia which is pretty close to about 4-7 tracks. I am looking at getting into racing and have some questions

Hey Zach,

In the name of shameless self promotion, buy my car! [thumbsup] Complete race effort, and I'll give you a spot under the tent with support in our drivers schools and first couple regional weekends. link

(Drago, Wheel, Bickam and others will attest to the quality of cars we build and support...)

But to actually answer your question, I agree that at most tracks, the different model years are very close. The differences are noise compared to getting your setup and tire choice right as you start getting the most out of your driving.

Assuming you can work on the car yourself, you can plan on putting about $7K into most donors just to get out there. IMO used race cars are always what someone should start with. You can always sell it for a good chunk of what you paid and then build your dream build after you learn about the class, driving, the rule differences, etc...

My .02
Kyle

dowellz

Thanks for the great info so far. To answer one of your questions. I am about 5'10 and 170-175 lbs.
To comment about buying a car already done, I would love to do that, but I plan on getting a car and start working it towards being a spec car. I wont be able to just buy every part at one time but hopefully by next year or possibly 2 years from now I will have it done. In the mean time I will do what races I can like autocross or what ever so I can get practice.
I plan on going to Black Hawk Farms the most since its only about 2 hours away. I am very excited, sucks that the season is only just ending and now I have a long wait till spring! [Frown]

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Zach, Come out to Blackhawk this weekend, Oct 23-24. I will have about 15 cars at the track this weekend.

If you like to do research, spend a lot of time reading the "garage" section of this website. Then read the rulebook for the club you plan on racing with. Then buy my book. Then read them over and over and over.....

Hope to see you at Blackhawk

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

notsure Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for notsure     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Zach,

Well, I've been paying my library dues (donating) but it's time for a "give back" (helping others) post from me.

I was in your shoes one year ago (including "getting into racing") and I bought a 91. I'm a couple months away from completing the build.

I don't want to suggest building or buying. There are plenty of pro's and con's to both that you can find via the search feature on this site.

However, if you build, regardless of the year, just ensure a good inspection prior to purchase ("got your whole hand in there doc? Ever do time Doc?".. ).... "Fletch" for pour souls that don't know any better...

Seriously, get it up on jack stands, and crawl underneath. Get the knuckles out for puddy checking, then pop the hood.

Top 5 donor prerequisites / checklist to help prevent spending 10k more than you planned, being a year late getting on the track, another few grand on booze, driving your wife and community members crazy with your confusion, options and questions regarding your screwed up donor you're trying to build/salvage: (all before you've even met most of them, let alone raced with them) [fight]

1. Not a bunch of puddy (knuckles test).
2. Healthy pinch welds
3. Rust Free
4. Engine not leaking from every orifice.

And.. the number 5 blah blah blah..

5. STRAIGHT !! (Again, maybe tuff to tell via the naked eye, but just ensure the bottom side of the tub doesn't look like the friggin surface of the moon).

A donor not meeting all or even some of the above criteria will equate to a fastrack education but you'll pay for it in more ways than one, and it's
amazing how one that does not can drive and run so well. [censored]

Ask for help, reviews and opinions (that includes PM'ing me) regarding donors you're looking at.

This community (specmiata.com, it's members and supporters) are a great group, and they want to help get you out there on the track with them. That's pretty cool in my book. So you're in great hands. I wouldn't be where I am without them. Some may even keep you out of straight jacket (thnx wheel).

Lastly: A "good donor" can still have surprises. So no matter what happens, don't give up. Just keep after it and you'll get there.

Just got mine rolling with the SM susp kit, brand new everything underneath, it's in my trailer and I'm dropping it off at the frame machine tonight.

Then my "donor" will be done and I can start building my SM.. see top five list above...

[banghead]

dowellz

I might be there this weekend at Black Hawk. I can't get a hotel in Iowa City for the Iowa V. Wisconsin game, so I might watch my friend Tim race his car there. I would love to take one of your cars for a spin, but I know I don't have the money to rent one of your cars. I WISH!!!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: