Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Belt expiration...

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Belt expiration...
W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can't find in archives...my belts dated October 2008..
Will they make it one more season?? Seems to me it's either 2 or 3 years from manufacture. Thanks.

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are they FIA or SFI? Look at your sanctioning body's rules. As I recall, in NASA SFI's are good for 2 years and FIA for 5.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If not FIA, the belts expire at end of 2010

juliancates

Icon 1 posted  Profile for juliancates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And if they are FIA belts, there should be a tag that explicitly says "Not Valid After 2011" or whatever year they expire.

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Belts are SFI...5 Point Crow...I've liked them especially with the 2" lap belt...2 years then???

Thanks.
Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The year built plus two years

W. Bonsell

Thanks wheel...sounds like it is based on calendar year. 2008 manufacture means replace in 2011...am I understanding this?

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Eau Rouge

Region: sfr
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eau Rouge     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When they expire send them back to Crow for re-webbing. They turn them around in a few days for an insanely small amount of money.

Your belts are good until 12/31/2010. If you buy new, make sure they have a 2011 date. Re-webbing is also an option, if there is no wear or corrosion on the hardware. Some manufacturers will not re- web.

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eau Rouge:
When they expire send them back to Crow for re-webbing. They turn them around in a few days for an insanely small amount of money.

http://www.crowenterprizes.com/

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Dave Stevens

Region: So Cal
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Stevens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Crow used to recert any manufacturers belts but that was against SFI rules. They only changed the policy in the last year or so to cover only Crow products.

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace
http://racing.roaddog.com/

Dave Metz

Region: OVR
Car #: TBD
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Metz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not real familiar with crow. Any of the other manufacturers reweb?

fishguyaz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have several friends who use the crow belts in their cars, and none have had one bad thing to say about them.
for some reason I still choose to buy willans or schroth though.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For SFI belts:
Last time I looked the NASA rule was 2 years from date of manufacture, with no additional time. So belts dated 4-2008 expire on 4-2010.

SCCA and also Midwestern Council have the same wording giving the remainder of the callandar year. So a belt dated 4-2008 would expire 12-31-2010

FIA belts will have a tag stating something like "not valid after 2012" This is 5 years from date of manufacture. Note that some belts carry both a FIA and SFI certification. Th longest date takes precidence.

There is virtually no difference between SFI and FIA testing/certification. The difference is which group gets paid for the certication. I was told FIA is $5000 per belt design. 5 point costs $5k, another 5 k for 6 point, another 5k for pull ups, another 5 k for 2" belts, etc. Since SFI is a USA based group, USA sanctioning bodies generally require the SFI standards.

Most seat belt companies will reweb their own belts for a nominal fee.

Off the shelf belts are generally dated 2-3 months after manufacture. So belts built this week (Nov 2010) will have a Jan 2011 build date tag. This allows for a certain amount of shipping and shelf life.

Whenever possible try to buy belts in the early part of the year. This gives you the longest usefull life

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

htron435 Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA GLD
Car #: 113
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for htron435   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So who makes/sells FIA belts? Just curious to see if it makes sense from a dollar standpoint to go with them over SFI.

--------------------
Jay
Car Dealer
ATC/Motiv Trailer Dealer
http://www.jaynorthauto.com

fishguyaz

quote:
Originally posted by htron435:
So who makes/sells FIA belts? Just curious to see if it makes sense from a dollar standpoint to go with them over SFI.

schroth among others.

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Competition/formula/formula-II

i always buy FIA over SFI.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Safecraft rewebs their belts once for free.

--------------------
Paul McLester

I am certain that nobody would reweb belts that they did not make.
wheel

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FIA belts include Sparco, Willans, Sabelt, OMP, Schroth, and others.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Stevens:
Crow used to recert any manufacturers belts but that was against SFI rules. They only changed the policy in the last year or so to cover only Crow products.

Who beside Crow will re-web thier belts? I have used Simpson belts for years and like them, but I don't believe they offer anything other than new belts. At ~$150 per set, it's worth investigating.
Rick
P.S. No hijack intended, but as I recall, NASA enforces a five year expiration on window nets.

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Simpson used to reweb their belts for a typical fee of $75. $10 shipping each way, is it really worth it to save $50

SCCA requires an SFI tag on window nets with no expiration date. I do recall NASA enforcing a 5 year rule on nets

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Ken Wilkinson Verified Driver

Car #: 228
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Last year I sent my G-Force belts to their reweb program and paid $110 plus shipping. They sent me a completly new set of belts.
http://www.gforce.com/programs/reweb.php

--------------------
Ken

SM Police

Region: Chicago
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SM Police     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have used Crow belts in several of my cars. Great to deal with. Often if you call you will deal with Fred Crow himself. Very helpful and make a good product. No affiliation here, just a happy customer.

I have used the HANS 5 point and 6 point harnesses. Good stuff.

--------------------
Speed Dog Racing, Inc.

Dave Stevens

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Stevens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
I am certain that nobody would reweb belts that they did not make.
wheel

Crow did it for years.

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace

Dave Stevens

quote:
Originally posted by davew:
Simpson used to reweb their belts for a typical fee of $75. $10 shipping each way, is it really worth it to save $50

Save 50 bucks 15 or 20 times a year and it adds up. Watch the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by htron435:

HMS Motorsports for Schroth belts

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

trey

Region: houston
Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ultrashield camlock harness reweb :

- 5 pt = $ 50
- 6 pt = $ 55
- Harness with pads & sternum = $ 85

Just sent mine off

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: