Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA San Francisco Region » June Laguna event - what happened? (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: June Laguna event - what happened?
dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You aren't going to make us all wait for the MyLaps results, are you??

I heard rumor of Will Schrader winning on Saturday and 4 FCY's, including a pileup during a restart?

Details and results, please!

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Region: San Francisco Region
Car #: 14
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viet-Tam Luu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian Ghidinelli ran a race of his own on Sunday, winning flag-to-flag by about 10 seconds. I think I remember seeing Will S in 2nd place.

Niemann won SSM on Saturday, Makishima on Sunday.

I had a pretty good weekend, keeping my newly-painted car shiny and undented and staying out of trouble for once. Engine started misfiring randomly (new symptom) during Thursday testing; threw a bunch of parts and ECU tweaks at it without any decent success. Still managed to qualify P7 overall in Group 5 for Saturday. Engine worked well enough for me to race my way up to a P3 finish (P2 in ITS), including an exciting T11-to-finish drag race with Vodden. Put in a couple of semi-decent quali laps for the 2nd race before the engine started misfiring like mad; qualified P6, started P5 due to a no-show on grid. Raced my way up to P3 and ran with Vodden in my mirrors for a few laps--talk about pressure! Engine started missing again and I'd overdriven my front tires (not happy with my new alignment settings) and he repassed me; finished P4, P2 in class.

Both Group 5 races had one FCY due to someone going off and getting beached, but no major incidents as far as I was able to observe.

--------------------
Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region

dp35 Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 51
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dp35     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Race 1: Ken Sutherland on pole with Brian G 2nd & Will Shrader 3rd. Will got into the lead & I moved up from 5th to 2nd thanks to mistakes by Ken & Brian. Brian finished 3rd & Will 4th. Vodden moved up from 20th to around 5th or 6th. There were 2 FCY's, including one at the end, leading to a single lap of green to the finish. That lap was when 90% of the carnage happened, especially when the field accordianed entering T11. I think we only had 7 laps of green flag racing.

Race 2: Brian on pole ahead of me, Doug Makashima, & Team Oregon. FCY after 1 lap. Back to green, I blew it & spun, Brian checked out, Ken S finished 2nd ahead of Will & Tommy O. Congrats to Brian for breaking the Oregon streak of winning on our tracks.

It was great to meet & race with the Oregon guys and also Dave Mc. All great people as expected in SM.

--------------------
2010 SCCA Regional Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E1 Class winner, MX-5 Cup

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Saturday was Ken Sutherland on pole, me P2, Neimann in SSM P3 and Will Schrader P4. Race was Sutherland-Schrader-Me for first couple of laps until Ken went wide in T2 and Will and I got by and Darin got by Ken shortly after as well. Then we had the first FCY, I think for Makashima beaching it in T10? After the restart we ran Will-me-Darin until I turned in too early at T6 and went wide saving a pretty big off. The front 3 had a bit of a gap so Darin got by but I held onto 3rd. Then we had another FCY for a car in the wall at T4 - the pace car pulled out at the last minute and split Will and Darin from me but we got back together. On the restart we went slow to T11 which caused an accordion effect further back and Juan Pineda's car got beat up. It was 1-to-go and we came around T10 at full steam to find the safety truck sitting just before the apex of T11. In my video the yellow was not out at T10 so it was a bit of a shock. We checked up and gave them room and then came around to take the checkered - Will Schrader first, Darin second, me third and then Ken, Vodden, Tommy O, Mike McCarthy, Neimann, McAnaney and Robert Linse rounding out the top 10. I set fast lap of the race at 1:47.121 but the track had slowed and my car was a handful. It was so good in morning quali but the warmer temperature really changed the balance of the car.

Sunday morning we made a small change or two for quali and I set pole with a 1:46.19. I had a mistake in T10 which makes me think a 45 was possible but not to be. They had more involved tech this weekend and I had to show RP, air box, crank position sensor and pull the starter to inspect the flywheel. Glad to see things being looked at. I was also weighed after the race on Saturday IIRC.

P2 was Darin with a 1:46.6x, Makashima's SSM in P3 and the Oregon boys were a couple spots further back. I think they started 5/6? I held the lead on the start but a car went into the wall at T4 hard so we went FCY at the end of the first lap. Neimann was parked on the outside of T2, don't know why. I learned some sage advice from Tommy and McAnaney about restarting at Laguna and things ran smoothly from there with I don't think any real shuffling. On the first restart lap, Darin went side by side with Sutherland at T6 and lost it and I watched in my mirrors as he slid across the track but everyone missed him. I checked out at that point while the guys behind diced it up and finished first with a decent margin. This time I remembered to take my victory lap. [Wink] They didn't have results printed by the time I left the track so I'm fuzzy about the top 10 but Ken finished 2nd and I think Will 3rd. I think Tommy was 5th, McCarthy 7th?

We made a lot of changes this weekend (thanks to Tim Barber who has a mobile alignment rack at the track) that really improved the car. Running without our untested/underdeveloped Laguna exhaust made a big difference in power and the 99 torque helps with the hills. The car was so great to drive - as the tires were wearing down we just got faster and faster every session. I wish every race weekend was like this one! [rolling on floor laughin]

It was great meeting and racing with the Oregon guys. We also had some infrequent faces show up on and off the track that made it a great weekend all around. McAnaney, JD Morris, Kim Ouye, Kevin Baillie and several others. Good times - see you at Thunderhill!

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Moonwalker

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Results are up:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1547896
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1547940

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Will and Brian! That looks like a very competitive field up front...

Brian, it's troubling that you've "figured out" the new car. What chance do the rest of us have, now?? Time for the west coast boys to start complaining about the 99's, too! [Wink]

Will and Ken, how'd you like Laguna?

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Dave McAnaney Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave McAnaney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was great to see everyone. Brian was solid all weekend and the Oregon guys (again) showed that they're guaranteed to bring some good and friendly competition with great showings by Ken and Will.

Beyond the SM racing alumni we also had another special visitor in John Bauer from SCCA National Tech. He orchestrated a more rigorous tech than normal for all the classes including SMT/SSM. Over the weekend tech looked at flywheels, weight, restrictors, airboxes, and CAS. See the bottom of the Sunday Qualifying Results for fallout.

--------------------
Dave McAnaney
SM#45 San Francisco Region

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viet-Tam Luu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dave McAnaney:
we also had another special visitor in John Bauer from SCCA National Tech. He orchestrated a more rigorous tech than normal for all the classes including SMT/SSM. Over the weekend tech looked at flywheels, weight, restrictors, airboxes, and CAS. See the bottom of the Sunday Qualifying Results for fallout.

Ruh-roh!

And congrats to Doug on the new SSM track record. [Smile]

--------------------
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can someone clarify what happened with the 1 and 62? And the 42 on Saturday?

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ruht roh 2. what happened? What's RFA?. Sounds like some boys were not quite Kosher. Sad really.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I started 38th and it was like Days of Thunder. Mylaps shows who didn't make it for Sunday. 3 safety cars if I remember correctly. The Safety car pulled off for the last lap and we raced back to the checkers. You get the idea.
Later, Juan P was getting his trunk pulled out with 2 trucks on each end and chains.

The videos should be pretty good.
J~

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

and..... That's why I stopped racing LS. Well, one of the reasons anyway..

--------------------

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The damage had nothing to do with LS, just bad driving. We get the same thing in T5 at TH...

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

hoverducky Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for hoverducky     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's my video of the last-lap restart from the midpack. Made it through 11. 2, not so much.

http://vimeo.com/12567853

Scott

Phillip Holifield Verified Driver

Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Phillip Holifield     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's my video from the restart.

http://vimeo.com/12561683

can't see it Phillip. Stops at 9 seconds.

--------------------

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Try it again Dan? Works for me.

--------------------
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS

Retired Racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

@Dan - Turn off HD and it should work.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like as much or more excitement off the track as on... You still think we don't need compliance team?
Send in your letters!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Sounds like as much or more excitement off the track as on... You still think we don't need compliance team?
Send in your letters!
Jim

You mean tech isn't optional? [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One driver said he was one of a few that would have to have his flywheel inspected.
J~

Moonwalker

I thought the tech was great - I wish we would have more of it. Goes to show that without any kind of tech people will try to get away with pretty blatant stuff. Well, no confirmation of that since the inspection was refused... [scratchchin]

--------------------

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Allen:
Can someone clarify what happened with the 1 and 62? And the 42 on Saturday?

Car #1 CSA All qualifying times disallowed - refusing to cooperate with, interfering with, 14:17 or obstructing the actions of the Chief Steward 15:10

Car #62 - RFA - Disqualified, 6 months suspension, $250 fine - GCR 7.4.D Failure to allow inspection

This was after Sunday qual. They were checking flywheels. Maybe other things too. It's awesome that the tech crew is doing this. I fully support it.

About the pile up, I got caught out when the cars came to a complete stop in front of me. When I say stop, I really mean stop. Unfortunately, I was committed to a much different line that did not include stopping. I hit the car in front of me, the car behind hit me, which sent me side ways, and I got hit again. I think the chain reaction went on backwards for several more cars as well. I'm not sure why the cars stopped, as the dozen cars ahead of me were stretched out to the entry of T11 as I rounded T10.

Fortunately, I got the #34 back together for Sunday. Everyone that stopped by was amused to watch us stretch it out between two trucks. It's amazing how well that worked. I will post pictures and videos when I have a chance. Car was great after!

Thanks to everyone that helped or came by to give words of encouragement!

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Retired Racer

What should the penalty be for evading a compliance check? In SFR the penalty appears to be quite different depending on who you are...

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dan:
What's RFA?

SCCA jargonese for a steward's action. I had to look it up as well:

quote:
8.1.2. Request for Action
The Chief Steward may submit to the SOM a Request for Action (RFA) describing a suspected breach of the GCR or the Supplemental Regulations, asking the SOM to investigate and determine whether there was a breach, and what, if any, penalties to impose.

--------------------
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How do you check flywheels...pull the trans out?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
How do you check flywheels...pull the trans out?

Pull the starter motor; the flywheel, or at least some of it, can be seen through the resulting opening.

Seems to me a disguised or lightened flywheel might be hard to spot without unbolting the clutch from it, but some inspection is better than none, I guess.

--------------------
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Viet-Tam Luu:
Seems to me a disguised or lightened flywheel might be hard to spot without unbolting the clutch from it, but some inspection is better than none, I guess.

They were using a borescope and magnet on a stick.

-Juan

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Kim Ouye:
What should the penalty be for evading a compliance check? In SFR the penalty appears to be quite different depending on who you are...

NS+1

So they remove qual times. big deal. that's not a penalty.#___ always has an excuse.

--------------------

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

quote:

One instance was a CSA (Chief Steward's Action), the other an RFA (Request for Action--i.e. by the SOM). I would presume the circumstances were significantly different. The one-line description makes the two incidents sound the same but I'm sure there's a lot more to the story.

--------------------
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS

dickball Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: sfr
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dickball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can remember a race day with car#--.
Car #(un named) started last in a field of 30+ cars. By lap 2, he was behind me in second place.
I did everything I could do to keep him behind me. So he gave me a bump draft. I must have gained 5-10mph at the end of the straight at TH, him shoving me along the whole way!

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
quote:

They were using a borescope and magnet on a stick.

-Juan

Can you elaborate? What would a magnet do? Also, who was responsible for pulling the starter motor, tech? What if a driver doesnt have the knowledge, tools or time in between sessions to pull the starter?

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

quote:
What would a magnet do?

I'm gonna let you think about that and give you a chance to delete your question and save a little face. [Wink]

quote:
Also, who was responsible for pulling the starter motor, tech? What if a driver doesnt have the knowledge, tools

Just because you've never turned a wrench on your own car doesn't mean that everybody in Impound is mechanically clueless. [Razz]

--------------------
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS

Speed Freak

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Speed Freak     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All work was done by the driver and/or crew.
Magnet's dont stick to Aluminium.
I presume SCCA does'nt care if you have the time needed for another class, as this is a spec class you must obey.

Sean,

It's in the GCR. If you want to compete in SCCA club racing, you have to be prepared to respond to the demands of tech. Either you have to be prepared to do it yourself or be prepared to find and pay someone to do the work for you. Either way, that is part of the deal.

Tam, I assume you either don't know Sean Allen or have him confused with another Sean, as he's done a little more than "turned wrenches" - he's built multiple cars from a rotisserie style build.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Dean, I know Sean and am just giving him a hard time. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:
or have him confused with another Sean

Oh, which Sean do you think I might have him confused with? [Big Grin]

--------------------
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS

posted 06-15-2010 05:37 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
I presume SCCA does'nt care if you have the time needed for another class, as this is a spec class you must obey.

unless your car # is _____

--------------------

Oh, I thought you were trying to bust Sean Yepez' balls but failed... [Smile]

--------------------
www.molaps.com

quote:
Dean, I know Sean and am just giving him a hard time. [Smile]

He just missed the ferrous metals class is all.

--------------------

quote:
Oh, I thought you were trying to bust Sean Yepez' balls but failed... [Smile]

WHAT Balls? expect a post in 3...2.....1... [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

quote:
Just because you've never turned a wrench on your own car doesn't mean that everybody in Impound is mechanically clueless. [Razz]

To clarify my half-sarcastic, half-humourous remark, I simply meant that if a driver doesn't have the knowledge or tools to do it, there's certainly someone around who can help.

--------------------
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS

Veteran Member

Here's the pile up from my point of view:

http://vimeo.com/12598016

Had I read the situation better, I would have gotten on the brakes sooner, or taken evasive action like the red car ahead that avoided collision by pulling left. Probably I would have been hit anyway, as everyone was bearing down not expecting the cars to be stopped.

-Juan

--------------------

Retired Racer

quote:
quote:

One instance was a CSA (Chief Steward's Action), the other an RFA (Request for Action--i.e. by the SOM). I would presume the circumstances were significantly different. The one-line description makes the two incidents sound the same but I'm sure there's a lot more to the story.
The result is identical, both evaded the compliance check. I know the story of each and one just did a better job of evading...

As for Juan's video...when is the corner worker in front of him going to throw the yellow?

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

Veteran Member

quote:
The result is identical, both evaded the compliance check. I know the story of each and one just did a better job of evading...

Does this count as race craft? [Eek!]

-Juan

--------------------

WTF happened in that video?!?!?!?!?!

It looked like the red car in front of (is that Tim Weaver from SoCal? Hey Tim!) the gray car came to a complete stop, but that the cars ahead of him were still moving... For the life of me, after watching Philip's video and your video, Juan, I cannot understand what happened here.

BTW - that flagger is past the incident. Why would he throw the yellow? [Smile]

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
...when is the corner worker in front of him going to throw the yellow?
The reason is he's downstream from you. It's the previous corner-worker whom had responsibility for that section of track. Unless there's an accident ahead not visible in the video, that corner-worker's section of the track is clear.

Draw an imaginary line from where the corner worker is perpindicular to the track and across it. If even an inch of your car crossed that line then it could be considered his responsibility. Whenever there's an accident so close to where one section ends and the next one begins it can be confusing.

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Speed Freak:

Magnet's dont stick to Aluminium.

Doh!

I was more thinking along the lines of what would a magnet do to an excessively machined stock flywheel... I wasn't even thinking about someone trying to run a completely aftermarket aluminum flywheel.

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
WTF happened in that video?!?!?!?!?!

It looked like the red car in front of (is that Tim Weaver from SoCal? Hey Tim!) the gray car came to a complete stop, but that the cars ahead of him were still moving... For the life of me, after watching Philip's video and your video, Juan, I cannot understand what happened here.

It was the Frank Constanza "stop short" move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujqM2u-BVo#t=1m55s

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Veteran Member

Dean, The black #54 is very close ahead of the red #48 who goes left to avoid hitting him and getting sandwiched by the silver #81 ahead of me. Had he not done that, I believe the initial contact would have been there. Unfortunately, the #81 camera was pointed backward, so all it shows is the view of my car. You can download my video from Vimeo if you want to single step though it.

I vote for more yellows, even if the incident is 10' ahead of the flag stand!

-Juan

--------------------

Speed Freak

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Speed Freak     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone know what the #42 did that was deemed unsportsman like conduct ?

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: