Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA San Francisco Region » package tray cage concerns resolved (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: package tray cage concerns resolved
Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Although the Racing Memo has the intent correct, in the rush to get it out, we made an error in the referenced section. 9.4.7.D should be 9.4.D. There will be a corrected memo issued sometime today.

Dave

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***SUBJECT: Correction to roll cage side protection specification
Effective immediately, in GCR 9.4.7.D, add a new second sentence:
Tubes that are welded to any part of the same mounting plate are considered to be connected to one another (see 9.4.E.3 below).***

Please help me understand. As I read the GCR, GCR 9.4.7.D. is a corrected rule added in Apendix G for 2007 Roll Cage Rules for cars registered before 1/1/08. How are cars registered after 1/1/08 covered by this corrected rule? [Confused]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Dave

Still [Confused] & have another question. Cars registered after 1/1/08 require the roll cage be attached to the floor pan/rocker boxes. By glossary definition the floor pan is normally used as a platform for seats. Taking another step if a car to be registered after 1/1/08 & has the main hoop attached to the top of the package shelf that seems to leave the question that the main hoop is not attached to the floor pan/rocker boxes. Stretching the package shelf main hoop mounting plate from the package shelf to the floor pan would exceed the allowed 15 inch length of the mounting pad. On a 1990 Miata the vertical height from the package shelf to the floor pan is 14 inches.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is the part of the roll cage rules you are citing.
E. ROLL CAGE ATTACHING POINTS
1. AMERICAN SEDAN, IMPROVED TOURING, SHOWROOM STOCK, SPEC MIATA, AND TOURING CLASSES–The roll cage must attach to the vehicle structure (floor pan/ rocker boxes) within the passenger compartment in a minimum of 6 points and a maximum of 8 points as specified in these rules.

The "floor pan/rocker boxes" is in parentheses and are only examples of parts of the vehicle structure within the passenger compartment to which the cage may be attached.

Dave

Evil Genius

Region: San francisco
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Evil Genius   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd like to thank everyone involved for the quick resolution on this, very well done! Mike Smith, Dave McAnaney and others went the extra mile to make it happen.

-John

--------------------
John L Pagel
http://www.evilgeniusracing.com
john@evilgeniusracing.com

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

who was the tech inspector that raised hell Sean?

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I actually don't know. I think it might have been someone in the San Jose area.

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Santa Cruz

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dan:
who was the tech inspector that raised hell Sean?

I find it ironic that people in this thread are framing the tech inspector as the "bad guy" but every other thread complains there isn't enough tech to catch the cheaters. Funny how feelings about tech changes when the finger points back atcha! [Smile]

David Luney Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 29-Killed
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

RACING MEMO
DATE: February 18, 2010 NUMBER: RM 10-02
TO: All Participants
SUBJECT: Correction to roll cage side protection specification
Tubes that are welded to any part of the same mounting plate are considered to be connected to one another (see 9.4.E.3 below).
SPORTS CAR CLUB OF AMERICA, INC
PO Box 19400, Topeka, KS 66619-0400
(800)

I could have sworn that this was in prior GCR's? Did it get dropped along the way or was I just dreaming?

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There was (maybe still there, not worth looking for) a reference to the fact that you could weld as many tubes to any plate, and they did not constitute additional cage attach points.

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian,

My guess is that you are not calling people with the questioned cage "Cheaters" and you are just pointing out that the poor tech guy was just doing his job. You are right, the tech inspector was doing what he was suppose to do, follow the GCR and we should be praising him instead of nailing him to the cross. I myself was caught up in that mess and took the word of others when I built my cage instead of following the GCR to the letter. For myself a lesson was learned. I am however glad the rules have been adjusted. I did a lot of research of cage designs and built my cage using a little bit of all the designs. I certainly didn't do this without considering my safety first. I " Thank All " involved with putting this to rest.

George Munson

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

***Although the Racing Memo has the intent correct, in the rush to get it out, we made an error in the referenced section. 9.4.7.D should be 9.4.D. There will be a corrected memo issued sometime today.

Dave***

Racing Memo:

***SUBJECT: Correction to roll cage side protection specification
Tubes that are welded to any part of the same mounting plate are considered to be connected to one another (see 9.4.E.3 below).***

Has the reveised memo been issued & or posted? If so where? [help]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

NV Racer Verified Driver

Car #: 70
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
Has the reveised memo been issued & or posted? If so where? [help]

It is in Club Racing Rules section
Here is the direct link

Dennis

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Dennis, I also found it there today.

Thanks

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Region: San Francisco Region
Car #: 14
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viet-Tam Luu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well put, George and Brian.

quote:
Originally posted by George Munson:
My guess is that you are not calling people with the questioned cage "Cheaters" and you are just pointing out that the poor tech guy was just doing his job. You are right, the tech inspector was doing what he was suppose to do, follow the GCR and we should be praising him instead of nailing him to the cross. I myself was caught up in that mess and took the word of others when I built my cage instead of following the GCR to the letter. For myself a lesson was learned. I am however glad the rules have been adjusted. I did a lot of research of cage designs and built my cage using a little bit of all the designs. I certainly didn't do this without considering my safety first. I " Thank All " involved with putting this to rest.

--------------------
Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: