Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » SM Rollcage kits for tall people

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SM Rollcage kits for tall people
David de Regt Verified Driver

Region: NWR
Car #: 47/479
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm a silly-shaped person that has head clearance issues on most racecars. My dad had the cage in his SM (that he bought used) modified to raise the cage more to formfit to the ceiling, which made it fit me much better as well.

I'm now looking into building my own SM, and looking at cage options. The miatacage is the primary one people praise, so I'm wondering how the stock kit is on tall people. I can always just have my fabricator ignore the top bars and do his own overhead beams, but the cheaper the better, so if the cage is already quite good, I can just go with that.

Similarly, if there's another kit that's better on silly-shaped people, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well.

--------------------
My Spec Miata Build Sheet - Hope people find it useful
 -

RYGAR Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"The Unethical"

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 29
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RYGAR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like you're in the Northwest...Miatacage is located up there. It's a good kit. I'm 6' 3" and fit in mine (miatacage). The cage is pretty maxed to limit as far as height goes (right to the hard top). Not too mention the NASCAR bars on both driver and passenger sides... Good leg clearance too...

Depending how tall you are, you'll probably have to fit the seat directly to the floor, hammering down the two stock mounts (humps). I know this has been discussed here numerous times.. there's a search feature on this site that is very helpful on finding good specific info.

Good luck with the build!

Cheers,
-Ryan

--------------------
Ryan G. #29
http://www.RentMoneyRacing.com

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All car numbers that include "79" are taken, David. [Big Grin]

Give a call down to Miatacage and talk to them about it.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just made it 479 cuz it's easy to turn a 0 into a 9 on my dad's car. ;-)

Sounds pretty good, and for 930$ shipped that seems like a good deal. From reading around here, it seems to be the best thing out there.

--------------------
 -

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Turning the 0 into an 8 is even easier -- besides, then you don't have to listen to Pat whine.

But I thought you were building your OWN car? As in, his numbers won't be on it anyway...?

jim (only a little confuddled)

--------------------
Just a clown

I've been running in my dad's car for the last race and a half since I'm in novice stuff anyway. My intent is to build my own car over the winter, but in the interim I'm still using his car. I think I requested 478 and it was taken so they gave me 479.

--------------------
 -

Cole

Region: Philly
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cole     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm wondering if I can get away with the stock miatacage or if I need to get a custom job. 6'3" tall. Before I call specmiata, I wanted to see if anyone had experiences to share.

--------------------
Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't know if your in a hurry or not and if you mind the shipping expense but Drago does great custom cages - as tall as he is you know he has it figured out.

MZ

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 6'2", and I fit in David's car with the Miatacage cage just fine. It's a great cage.

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Actually, David's car doesn't have a Miatacage -- it's got the DGE Motorsports "Tall Person" cage, which seems to allow significantly more room for the driver than the Miatacage than I've got.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Brian Towey Verified Driver
Not a Suspect

Region: Oregon
Car #: 26,1,11,2,67,87
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Towey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm nearly 6'3" and I have plenty of room left over in the standard Miatacage.com cage. Also, the Miatacage "kit" is under constant development and Sean (the owner) has been a huge supporter of the class.

Great product. Good reputation. Fast service. Gives back.

You've got racing to do. The cage really is the way you would want it done as a "custom". Order it and get on with your life. [Smile]

BT

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26
http://meettheroad.wordpress.com/

DionJ Verified Driver

Region: SF
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DionJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe DGE makes the miatacage and now offer a tall version...I would get the tall.

Dion

Cole

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cole     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the replies, Drago told me to talk to Sean at miatacage, so that seems like a good plan. I just wanted to make sure the miatacage kit that Saferacer was selling was the way to go.

Based on Towey's testimonial, I'm good to go.

--------------------
Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keep in mind the top 5 or 6 inches of Towey is all hair..... [duck]

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The cage is really not the limiting factor. It is seat position.

Last Saturday I had Robin, my secretary, in a rental car. She is all of 5'3"

On Sunday I had a guy 6'4" in the same car.

Obviously the cage was one of mine.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Cole

What kind of seat did you have in there, Dave?

--------------------

- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

Karl B

Region: NYR
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am also very tall and have seen the DEG motorsports tall man cage on their site. I have a question, the main hoop terminates on the pachage shelf, is that legal? I understanf that by not having the bar go to the floor it frees up alot of room for a larger seat and to move it back further. Will this pass tech?

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have my personal cage that way( on deck) it is legal. One would think that it would provide more room, it really does not. The cage, if installed properly is all the way in the far corner. With the recline in all the seats, the back of all seats hits the package shelf before the bottom ever hits the cage. I am 6'3 and my seat could go back another 1-2 inches if need be.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

misterwaterfallin

Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

are you guys then mounting the seats directly on the floor kart style? I am thinking about doing this with a Evo II, and it looks like it should sit me pretty far down

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

SeanH88

Region: OR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Drago is correct, the main hoop sits in the corner and the seat will hit the package shelf prior to hitting the main hoop or main hoop perch.

The issue with landing the hoop on the package shelf, is what it does to the upper nascar bar. The number one rule of cage design is to triangulate as many tubes as possible. The reason that MiataCage has never made a tall man version (and never will) is because it does not add any value and sacrifices driver safety. To have the main hoop land on the package shelf requires that you put an S bend in the upper nascar bar. Since it is an S bend, then it is not triangulated and in a position of shear and therefor a potential point of failure.

The S bend ends up right against the drivers torso on the left side and is not where I would want a failure point.

Just my 2 cents..... Sean

SeanH88

Region: OR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SeanH88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by DionJ:
I believe DGE makes the miatacage

Dion

This is not an accurate statement. DGE has not ever and does not make the miatacage kit and no longer has any involvement with MiataCage.Com.

This is a former consultant who chose to start his own company competing with us.

Just wanted to clear that up..... Thanks Sean

Team Cochran Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member For Rent

Car #: 80
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Team Cochran     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David

Check out the tall man kit from Dave Gilbert.

http://www.dgemotorsports.com/store/product_info.php?pr...c2a2f145887daa9bdc32270ac

Kinda interesting how the cage design drawings at the DGE website look so much like some on other websites (minus the copyright watermark of course). [Eek!]

--------------------
Geoff
SM 80

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Car #: ICSCC #322
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So who's the chicken and who's the egg?

Does "consult" = designed? And does "chose to compete" = Didn't sell exclusive rights to said design?

I'm confused. It seems like these are 2 cages that spawned from the same original design and may have undergone separate iterative updates. Pure speculation on my part though.

Pricing and shipping are also identical.

Bottom line, they both appear to be great kits. I doubt you could go wrong with either.

--------------------
Brian

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Be careful with your accusations. I for one, find your post pretty insulting.

On a broader scope, this thread will not degenerate into a melee. Keep that in mind when you post.

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Jarhead Made Donation to Website

Region: 34
Car #: 89,90
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jarhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have had many dealings with Sean at MIATACAGE and he has been a straight up guy. I have built (4) cars using his kits and they have all been of great quality. I am 6'5"/ 275 and fit in my 91 Spec with a little room to spare. My biggest problem is shoulder clearance (52 coat) but that is an issue in all cars that I drive. A 12lb sledge will be the ticket to "massage" the floor pan. It gained me a full 1 1/2" of head room. I also took a hole saw and cut a relief in the underside of the hardtop to gain another 1/2-3/4". We are saving for 2 more kits from Sean right now.

--------------------
Problem Solved/ReelScreensSE/RE Power

Brian Towey Verified Driver
Not a Suspect

Car #: 26,1,11,2,67,87
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Towey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Disclosure – I, like many in the Northwest, am a Miatacage.com supported driver / crash tester.

For the past week I’ve been working on a car that has the very latest version of the Miatacage.com kit in it – new, new, new. We started looking at seat placement last night and at 6’3” I still have plenty of room up top and space to move the seat rearward.

THERE IS A TON OF ROOM!!!

It is my opinion that this is the best version of the cage yet – especially for taller drivers. You short guys (with all of your right side ballast) can kiss my shoulder level ass. [Big Grin] [butthead]

BT

p.s. If you have questions about the newest cage, email me - speed at gorge dot net.

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26
http://meettheroad.wordpress.com/

Towey, does this mean you're coming out again next year for real? [Smile]

--------------------
 -

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

don't forget that it's not always about how "tall" you can get the cage to be but its also how low you can get your seat. i'm getting my seat mounted to the floor because i've been having problems with my head hitting the roof and i'm only 6'

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

Caged Russ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Caged Russ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here is what the 09 GCR says for door bars and main hoops. Some of you know may not know the rules and may be trusting the supplier of the cage or the fabricator to know the rules. Read them and interpret before buying any kit or going to any fabricator. Knowledge is key here.

First example is the door bars, two bars attaching to the front and rear hoops, not the Main hoop mounting plate.

Second is main hoop, floor pan or and rocker panel, not package tray shelf. Both are an interpretation and are subject to discussion.

D. SIDE PROTECTION
Two side tubes connecting the front and main hoops across both door . NASCAR-style side protection or one bar
bisecting another to form an “X” is permitted. Door side tubes may
extend into the front door. E.

ROLL CAGE ATTACHING POINTS
1. AMERICAN SEDAN, IMPROVED TOURING, SHOWROOM STOCK, SPEC MIATA, AND TOURING CLASSES The rollcage must attach to the vehicle structure (floor pan/ rocker boxes) within the passenger compartment in a minimum of six points and a maximum of eight points as specified in these
rules.

I am not telling anybody here what is good or bad, just do your homework before you spend your hard earned money. Be safe!

--------------------
Racetech Motorsports
Complete Race Fab & Design
Chassis-Roll Cages-Seats
Suspension-Chassis-Exhaust
Vinyl Packages

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kind of a generic question I know, but if I bought a kit from someone like miatacage, what should I expect to spend having it installed? I don't do any welding myself.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Caged Russ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Caged Russ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check Sean's website, may be he has a "How many hours to" install like the Mega companies show.

--------------------
Racetech Motorsports
Chassis-Roll Cages-Seats
Vinyl Packages

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Greg,
Mine cost me an even $1000 based on 40 hours of fab. That included seat mounts, window net, and some custom tweaking. I think the builder short changed himself.
Keith

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

TR6

Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

$25 per hour is cheap labor for welding/fab. I doubt I'd be that lucky to find someone willing to do it that cheap.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Caged Russ

I need to charge more for a Custom Cage. With interior removal, prep, dash and actually bending the cage and welding it in along with seat mounts take 4 8 hour days for a Miata. I just finished one for a guy in the NorCal area. Even mount a Aluminum seat. There are plenty of Fab Shops in the Dallas Ft/Worth area that can weld in a kit. If you removed all of the interior and prepped the floor it would save a lot of time.

--------------------
Racetech Motorsports
Chassis-Roll Cages-Seats
Vinyl Packages

TR6

I've actually already got the interior gutted except cutting out the metal in the doors for nascar bars, and already have an Ultrashield seat mounted to the floor (I'm 6'3"). I checked with Topp Racing, a well known local cage builder who has done spec miata cages, and he quoted me about $2200 to build a custom cage tailored to fit me. I've seen lots of his work in the Porsche club race cars and it is superb. So that leaves me with the question of whether I am better off buying a kit and having someone weld it in or just spend the $2200 or so and have a custom cage done.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just don't get an ankle breaker cage. Now that I've been looking for two years the majority of cages I see have the patented ankle breaker design

Dan Lipperini Jr

Region: NEPA #25
Year : 1995 Spec Miata & 1990 S2000 powered Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Lipperini Jr   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by -Bob-:
Just don't get an ankle breaker cage. Now that I've been looking for two years the majority of cages I see have the patented ankle breaker design

Ankle breaker design? Care to elaborate or share a picture?

Thanks,

Dan

--------------------
Dan Lipperini Jr
http://www.Racelabz.com

S2000 powered Miata trackday toy
New 1.8 Spec Miata(for sale)

Caged Russ

I can help there. Some kits and some builders will build up boxes of the floor and rocker for the A-pillar/front hoop to mount to. The box sticks up so far it can actually rest against the ankle and lower leg. Since the box is a square it has sharp edges than can hurt you in a wreck.

I am not going to post any pictures of the kit or the cages i have seen online for the obvious reasons. I am not here to start any fights or talk bad about anybody. We just do things different.

Here is how we do it, takes more time but it moves the bar further away from the ankle and has more surface contact area to the rocker/floor.

http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00017987/th_Picture027-1-1.jpg

--------------------
Racetech Motorsports
Chassis-Roll Cages-Seats
Vinyl Packages

Dan Lipperini Jr

Region: NEPA #25
Year : 1995 Spec Miata & 1990 S2000 powered Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Lipperini Jr   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks. I appreciate the info and picture. That is how I do them on the T-3 S2000's that I build and will see how it goes on the Miata.
 -

-

--------------------
Dan Lipperini Jr
http://www.Racelabz.com

S2000 powered Miata trackday toy
New 1.8 Spec Miata(for sale)

Caged Russ

Yep, its the only way. There are a lot of similarities with the S2K and the Miatas.

--------------------
Racetech Motorsports
Chassis-Roll Cages-Seats
Vinyl Packages

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: