Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southwest » SoCal: April 26 & 27 @ Buttonwillow - ROLL CALL (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: SoCal: April 26 & 27 @ Buttonwillow - ROLL CALL
John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey gang, just checking in seeing who is planing to run.

CalSpeedway was way too fun, with close clean hard racing... Buttonwillow #13 (clockwise) should be just a great.

For those who want even more track time there is a 3hr endruo the evening of the 26th.

For more details: Buttonwillow Registration

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

jeremybarnes

Region: San Diego
Car #: 14
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jeremybarnes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in -- just registered! See everyone there.

Jeremy Barnes
SM #14, Very Yellow

tvance85

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tvance85     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Im in.

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Definitely in on the enduro; we're focusing on the WERC championship this year.

Going to try to do SM sprints. But we're running Kumhos for the enduro and I'm not thrilled with the idea of switching tires back and forth (not to mention the setup is different).

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not sure if the the Kumho's are good to roll in PT Class but there is a chance that there will be a SUPERSIZE option offered again... As soon as Ryan has a decent idea of car counts he'll let me know and I'll post it here.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PTE is what we were thinking of...as long as we get enough competitors. The supersize option at CalSpeedway worked great.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
PTE is what we were thinking of...as long as we get enough competitors. The supersize option at CalSpeedway worked great.

I should know in a week... Thanks Rob/John/Tim !!

If we keep posting back and forth, it will look like a lot of people have responded. haha.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

4 christians will be there and im pretty sure don clement grant edmisson angela will be there

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be there!

And how about this for thought, scrap the inverted qualifying race and add time back into the main race for both days?

Looking at MyLaps for our CS event, we only had 28 and 26 mins of green flag time. It will be nice to see 40 mins...

Not to get ahead of ourselves, I just looked at the BW track config for Jun 21/22, it will be better racing to have #25 CCW (instead of #1 CCW).

Ok, back into lurking mode...

I've never gone through the Bus Stop CCW. Does it get hairy? I like it!

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

quote:
I've never gone through the Bus Stop CCW. Does it get hairy?

The Bus Stop CCW is tight but nothing like CCW over Lost Hills... Can you say AIRBORNE!!! ( BW #1 CCW Track Config )

J

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i wish they took some of those turn out for the 99+ cars [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Christian:
i wish they took some of those turn out for the 99+ cars [Big Grin]

#1 CCW it is then!

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

CLee

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Compared to #25 CCW, #1 CCW is not as good for racing because there is basically one line thru Riverside, Bus Stop and Grapevine.

Whereas #25 CCW there is the classic long run along the $backstretch into the hump and corners at Grapevine [Smile]

I guess #1 CCW is more appropriate for HPDE while #25 CCW is more fun for racing.

I agree. I was more joking on not giving the 99s an advantage.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

CLee

Ethan, are you going to race at BW? You should plan to go test on Friday to get more track time...

Who's Ethan?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Isn't Ethan the rookie that bought Clements car that was once Tim's car that will be going through his first race weekend?

If so Rob, I expect that you will give him all of the support that rookies deserve. Remember your first weekend.

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

yes sean, that ethan

inflatable Series Champ

Region: CalClub
Icon 1 posted  Profile for inflatable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Clement:
Compared to #25 CCW, #1 CCW is not as good for racing...

I guess that all depends on your definition of "good racing." From a spectator's view, sure the racing is not as good.

But for an underpowered mid-packer that possesses more skill than horsepower, it would definitely be "better racing" for him. If he manages to overtake through a turn, he is more likely to keep a pro-motor "happy gas" car at bay longer, thus giving him more of a shot at the podium.

But what do I know? I still view SM as a driver's series.

inflatable Series Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for inflatable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SWDouglass:
Isn't Ethan the rookie that bought Clements car that was once Tim's car that will be going through his first race weekend?

If so Rob, I expect that you will give him all of the support that rookies deserve. Remember your first weekend.

I think I have a nice clean bulls-eye graphic lying around somewhere.

who in the front of the pack has a pro motor [Confused] there is only 1 that i am aware of, and his just blew up today.

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And who has the 'happy gas'?

Inflatable - you know us, its only fair that we also know who you are. How about a name and car number?

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
And who has the 'happy gas'?

Well I did have a bean burrito before the inverted qualifying race @ CalSpeedway. [Big Grin]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No fair!

--------------------
Mark

Robert Edmison Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"Bring out zee gimp!"     - Max Mosley

Region: CSCC
Car #: 55
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Robert Edmison   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Note to self...stay away from the tiger car.

Count me in for BW.

Any chance we can ditch the perverted Sunday qualifying grid? It's only a matter of time before that's going to get ugly. Let's save that silliness for the local figure 8 track.

I like Clement's idea of getting more race time. Not sure how we'd determine the grid for Sunday's race though. I'm all for turning Sunday practice into a traditional qualifying format or even a straight up qualifying race based on Saturday's finishing order.

Robert "Pro Motor without the Happy Gas" Edmison

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Edmison:
Any chance we can ditch the perverted Sunday qualifying grid? It's only a matter of time before that's going to get ugly. Let's save that silliness for the local figure 8 track.

It already got ugly at willow. I know that Ryan only included the qualy race this year because some of the guys that came over from scca wanted it. There weren't any qualy races in nasa in any class last year.

I say we ditch the qualy race too. But include a standing start occasionally. What do the rest of you guys think?

[ 04-06-2008, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Gibscreen ]

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A standing start could be the death of a 1.6 diff or two. Which means a red flag until they can clear the track.

Our cars, and our drivers for that matter, are not made for standing starts. While cool, a standing start could certainly end up being a disaster.

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

perhaps e can do a simulated standing start, a very slow 1st gear roll to the green.

Not bad. But I'm an all-or-nothing kinda guy. And I'm sure the 1.6L guys wouldn't like that as much because of their lack of torque.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

tvance85

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tvance85     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree, ditch the inverted field race on Sunday and go with a qualy based on the finishing order from Saturday. Starting 16th on Sunday (my second race in SM) was eye opening to say the least. The fact that I managed to get through it without contact is still a mystery. I agree with Robert, it is only a matter of time before its going to get ugly.

I like the format where both days have the same schedule. Mainly because if you have a bad race or mechanical prob saturday it won't screw up your sunday race. Plus, it's simple.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

CLee

I think having a combined Prac+Qual session on Sunday will work well. (Typically done at CalClub.)

Then the time normally used for Sun Qual race can be added back to both Sat and Sun race, making the race duration longer than it is now.

I don't know how the HC guys feels about the inverted qual race, maybe John can find out.

quote:
I think having a combined Prac+Qual session on Sunday will work well. (Typically done at CalClub.)

Then the time normally used for Sun Qual race can be added back to both Sat and Sun race, making the race duration longer than it is now.

I don't know how the HC guys feels about the inverted qual race, maybe John can find out.

I'm happy to do explore any and all options with Ryan to make us all one big happy.

I'd like to understand how CalClub "combined Prac+Qual" works and lengths too. So I can talk with an understanding.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

I think what NASA did at Cal Speedway, with the exception of the inverted grid for the Qualifying Race, was nearly ideal. I like having a practice session before qualifying, or a qualifying race, to try a different setup or just to warm up a bit before getting into full race mode. I did not like the inverted qualifying race grid very much though.

--------------------
Mark

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree for the most part with Mark and Clement other than I like a practice as well before qualifying but I would shorten qualifying (and prac if neccessary) to add some time to the main race.

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

.......and start Sun as a new day, not with the results from Sat nor an inverted race.

If we made practice and maybe even qualy 15 mins each instead of 20 each we'd have a 35-40 min race. It's worth a try.

I agree with mark re: having a separate practice session on both sat and sun.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Keep in mind that the SM class is running along with other race classes with NASA right now and we don't have as much flexibility as we might have if we had our own run group. Hopefully someday NASA will grant SM a run group of its own and then we'll have more flexibility in terms of schedule and race/qualifying options as we won't be impacting other classes with our shenanigans.

John - Any idea of what it would take for SM to get its own run group?

--------------------
Mark

quote:
If we made practice and maybe even qualy 15 mins each instead of 20 each we'd have a 35-40 min race. It's worth a try.

I think this format might have some legs; it has something for everyone and does not radically deviate from current scheduling.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Hopefully someday NASA will grant SM a run group of its own and then we'll have more flexibility in terms of schedule and race/qualifying options as we won't be impacting other classes with our shenanigans.

John - Any idea of what it would take for SM to get its own run group?

A SM run group is the ultimate goal, but one can only guess that it comes down to economics and available track time… What are the points of critical mass?

I'll be talking with Ryan this sometime this week to get a start on this stuff.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

bc88 Verified Driver

Car #: 21
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bc88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been in one standing start, not sure I would do it every race but it was fun. At Cal Speedway the standing start was on the back straight before turn three, might be a little tight. But maybe worth a try. As far as the inverted start, so far I have had good luck. And I think we as race car drivers should be able to deal with that kind of a start.
With a practice and qualifying each day, NASA will start to look like another club we race with. And after all is that not the reason people switched?
I think for Sunday qualifying we could try an Australian pursuit.
The reason I race with NASA is because it is a young group and Ryan is doing new and different things.

Bob.

CLee

quote:
Originally posted by bc88:
...As far as the inverted start, so far I have had good luck. And I think we as race car drivers should be able to deal with that kind of a start...

That's the thing, most of us have been "patience" in letting the qual race run the way it did. The track we run next (BW) is much tighter than the others we ran at. Like Robert said, with a small mis-step, it can get ugly quickly...

ethan666
noob

Car #: 42
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Ethan, are you going to race at BW? You should plan to go test on Friday to get more track time...

I'll be there on Friday and will be sure to have a nice shiny 'Rookie' sticker on my rear bumper. I'm sure y'all see it as you come around to lap me. [fight]

They asked me to do one more HPDE before I race, so I will be doing that on Saturday and will race on Sunday. [Big Grin]

--------------------
ethan

Part of the reason I've been coming to NASA is because they allow Team entries. My brother and I share the car and switch off driving duties. So the duplicate days work great and the Supersize option works perfectly...we each get the same amount of track time.I liked the qualy race, but then again I won the coin toss to drive that day.

If you really want more track/race time, let's support the Supersize option so we can run SM and PTE. I pushed hard for that to happen at CalSpeedway and then only 4 or 5 people took advantage. To me, $150 extra for double the racing is a steal.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I for one REALLY like the Qualifying Race configuration and would like to see that become the norm.

I can take or leave the inverted grid.

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

Miataracer55

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Miataracer55     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also everyone there is going to be a special Mazda fund at this event, details to follow, it should be fun.

quote:
Originally posted by TimBuck:
I for one REALLY like the Qualifying Race configuration and would like to see that become the norm.

Okay, DIR hat off... Though I've only participated in one Qualifying Race I really enjoyed it (`08 Cal Spdwy). And, the reality is the fast guys are fast and will with few exceptions finish (thus start) ahead if the mid-pack and slower racers. Now, I wouldn't want it inverted every time but every so often it would be fun (given the appropriate track config).

I think Bob (bc88) made a great point that part of what is bringing cars to SoCal NASA events is it's fresh. Yeah, we can do the same-old-same-old but we can do an Inverted Qual race with a standing start too (though I'm personally not too hot on the standing start thing).

Okay, hat back on.... Stop goofing off Sean and pay attention. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

i think if we took away practice(sunday), had a qualify race that is not inverted, and ran a longer race(using the practice time) on sunday would be cool.

Louis Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Louis   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The race time block is now set at 40 minutes. There is also a 3 hour night enduro following the sprint races.

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: