Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » National Auto Sport Association » NASA Southwest » SoCal: March 7th & 8th @ Willowsprings - ROLL CALL

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SoCal: March 7th & 8th @ Willowsprings - ROLL CALL
John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SoCal NASA is alittle over a month away from the first event of the 2009 season. So, I'm checking in to see who is planing on going to it... It's a perfect time to dial in those new FatCat bummpies prior to the Cal Spdwy event at the end of March.

EVENT REGISTRATION: https://secure.drivenasa.com/event/878

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

cert24 Verified Driver

Region: SP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cert24     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Everyone will be there. Rush Motorsport gang will be there as well as the Christian Family and the Walkers. And I know quite a few others. Everyone is looking forward to it.

ethan666
noob

Car #: 42
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in! Haven't raced since August '08! See you there. Still have my novice permit so I'll be the slow red #42 with the big target on the back.

--------------------
ethan

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am in if I can get my car through NASA tech. Need to order more padding!

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ethan666:
Still have my novice permit so I'll be the slow red #42 with the big target on the back.

Novice?!?!?! Not the way you run... How many RACES have you participated in?

ethan666
noob

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John Mueller:
quote:
Still have my novice permit so I'll be the slow red #42 with the big target on the back.

Novice?!?!?! Not the way you run... How many RACES have you participated in?
Only two races so far (one NASA and one SCCA). Well glad you think I'm doing ok! I need to spend this year figuring out how to make up 5 seconds per lap!

--------------------
ethan

quote:
I need to spend this year figuring out how to make up 5 seconds per lap!

That's every year bro !!! [yep] [Big Grin] [yep]

I'll be there but wont be racing... My car is getting a new roll cage and won't be ready in time for WS but will for Cal Spdwy. See ya then.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How much more to run PTE as well as SM? Does anyone have notes on how to fill out the classing worksheet for a spec miata?

Thanks,
Rob

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burgoon:
How much more to run PTE as well as SM? Does anyone have notes on how to fill out the classing worksheet for a spec miata?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob, I'll find out if the Supersize Option will be offered & post.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

The key is car count!!

If we get 20+ SM's we should get our own run group, thus Supersize should be offered and we can go play PTE too.

If we fail to get enough cars for own group it depends who we share our group with... There is a chance for it if we get paired with the Honda's (but it depends on how many they have too).

The bottom line: REGISTER for SM or SSM by Wednesday (2/25) so we can get the necessary number of cars to get our own run group then it should be possible. I should know for sure by Thursday night.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

What's the SoCal NASA cancellation policy for race groups?

I am going to try to install the required center net this weekend.

--------------------

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Rob,
all of us in the Rush Motorsports paddock will help you with any last minute details. Try and register no later than today as I think we are hovering on the 19 or 20 mark.
Thanks,
Grant

Thanks I appreciate the offer.

I'll pull the trigger and register today if there is some kind of cancellation policy.

I don't like signing up for things that the car isn't ready for if there is no chance for at least a partial refund.

--------------------

There is a refund policy, just check the web site.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

I wasn't able to find it navigating the site, but the search function worked.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/cancellation_policy.html

full refund minus $30 for racers (not HPDE) if you do it within 5 days after the event.

I'll sign up.

--------------------

ethan666
noob

Did we hit the 20+ SM mark?

--------------------
ethan

quote:
Did we hit the 20+ SM mark?

Close, we got 19... There still is a good chance we got our own group tho.

Call your buddys!! If they are thinking about going get them to commit NOW.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

WChristian 2

Region: So Pac
Car #: 10
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WChristian 2     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ill just sign up twice, no one knows how many Christian family members there are anyways [tipsy]

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Man, I wish I was still living in SoCal! I'd be #20!

I need to win the lottery so that I can fly in each race weekend and rent a Spec Miata. Kind of like Boris Said, but without the talent. [Smile]

And we got it! Thanks John and Grant! Looks like we will get a bigger bang for the buck.

Now, back to my previous question, do we need to fill out PTE worksheets to run in PTE? If so, does anyone have any notes I can crib off of? My car is a 95.

--------------------

Yeah, SM has our own run Group!!! Big thanks to everyone for signing-up and a HUGE THANKS TO GRANT !!

If you want to run some more go to the Event Registration page and choose "Supersize PT" option... For an additional $129 you'll play with the PTE's too (group C). Someone at the registration desk in the cafeteria can help you with your PTE form, just print it off and bring it with you.

Here is the entire event schedule: WSR March 7 & 8, 2009

Thanks again everyone!

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For the 1995, the PT points would be as follows:

Base class is PTE.

TIRES
2) +7 for R888s OR
3) +5 for RA1s

AND

5) -7 for 205mm wide tires

ENGINE
26) +2
28) +1
32) +3

SUSPENSION
3) +3
4) +2
6) +2

AERODYNAMICS
1) +3 (if you have the R-chin spoiler)

TOTAL: 16 with R888, 14 with RA1

Final Class with points mods: PTE

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Awesome, thanks Rob!

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
Final Class with points mods: PTE

Thanks Rob!!!

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

I have a request to see if there is interest in running an inverted field Qual Race on Sunday in place of the "flying lap" session.

Starting line-up for Qual Race would be the inverse of Sat race results (Sat DQ's or DNS would start in back).

Any interest?

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

So that would be like an inverted grid short sprint race on sunday morning to set the qualifying order for the main event sunday afternoon?

Sounds like fun to me!

Some other weekend I would love to try a standing start just for kicks. We would probably only want to do that in a race we have to ourselves though...

--------------------

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John, I think inverting the top 10 would be more ideal, last time we had a full inverted grid with 14 cars there was mayhem at the top of omega. With 20 i think it would just be worse. So my suggestion for an inverted grid is flip the top 10. my other concern is that we have a quite a few first timers this weekend that just finished the scca school 2 weeks ago. Putting them in the front of the field might be a bit risky.

Alternatively we could just have timing and scoring 'pick names from a hat' and start in a random order.

Yep, if we did an invert that's how it works, Sunday would look like this...
Session 1. Warm-up
Session 2. Invert Qualifying Race (based on results of Sat Group Race)
Session 3. SM Race (Staring line-up determined by Qualifying Race results)

Standing starts are tough on the older Miata Diff's... I doubt that would fly unless everyone has done an upgrade.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

quote:

Standing starts are tough on the older Miata Diff's... I doubt that would fly unless everyone has done an upgrade. [/QB]

Ahh, forgot about the poor old 1.6's... someday...

As for invert, partial invert, or random order, it might be good practice for the newbs to start from the front...

I am a little biased though, I will probably be in the bottom 10 after the first race.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Christian:
John, I think inverting the top 10 would be more ideal, last time we had a full inverted grid with 14 cars there was mayhem at the top of omega. With 20 i think it would just be worse. So my suggestion for an inverted grid is flip the top 10.

My other concern is that we have a quite a few first timers this weekend that just finished the scca school 2 weeks ago. Putting them in the front of the field might be a bit risky.

Alternatively we could just have timing and scoring 'pick names from a hat' and start in a random order.

I agree (and like both those ideas).

I'm beginning to think that with this being the first event of the year it might be a bit too dodgey to mix-it-up so soon. However, with that said, I really would like to see something like this for the Cal Speedway event in a few weeks (3/27-29)... We did it last year @ CalSpdy and it was a hoot! I seem to recall everyone made it through clean, well clean by SM standards anyway. [Big Grin]

This kind of dialogue about HOW WE WANT the event to be run is why NASA is so cool. Thanks, and keep the ideas coming.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hmmm, did anyone notice that John is not even running this weekend. No wonder he wants to see an inverted start to amuse himself!

We'll probably have to see SAT finishing results (based on how far apart the cars were) to determine how many cars to invert... my guess at WS will be more like 6 or so..

If anyone is looking for lodging, my motel sponsor will knock $5-10 off if you mention me when you make your reservation.

This place got good reviews from the T1 guys two weeks ago. Shoot me a pm for details if you're interested!

--------------------

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I like the pee pick, but putting all the slow guys up front and all the fast guys at the back is just asking for trouble. I started 15th out of 30 last year at Cal Speed (my first race) and it was CRAZY. How I avoided contact is still a mystery. I vote for the qualifier race based on either points or in this case finishing order from the day before.

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For an inverted race Jonathan/Clements idea I thought was the best.

BTW, John has kindly offered to be the master of ceremonies for the podium throphy presentation. All the cars will come in to tech and we'll go right to it.

Thanks John !

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: