Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Sebring? (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Sebring?
WANNABE

Region: Central Florida Region
Car #: whatever I can talk someone into letting me drive
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WANNABE     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Carlos,
Welcome to the Miata community bud!

And Hey Carlos G,
MISS YA BUDDY!

Matt Weisberg Verified Driver

Region: 11
Car #: 10
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Weisberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will be seeing Toni at the SEDIV meeting in a couple weeks. I plan to meet with her on a number of issues and perhaps I'll add this one to my list. It sounds to me like we need to find a "middle ground". I know Toni pretty well and I don't think there's any intention of installing a SM gestapo for National racing. But, I do think they are concerned in not letting things get out of hand early. In other words I think they want to keep the leash pretty short. Let's see what we can do because from Jim's description it sounds to me like it went a little too far and is not in line with how other classes are regulated expecially with regard to cosmetics. There's a few prod cars out there that look like they belong on a front lawn with old kitchen appliances in front of a double wide.

Just be patient guys. I'm sure it's just a matter of settling in as a National class. I think JD who has been National racing a long time probably agrees with this. JD?

2fast4u Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for 2fast4u     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can understand fixing a car that is wrinkeld up but having to fix small dents is totaly wrong. Even the teck inspector that I talked to said that this is over kill. Keep the cars presentabel. If this is the way that the nationals are going to be I can see a lot of the local reginal guys not going to national races. Becouse they dont want to have to go threw all the B/S. The people that got efected the most was my famaly.

--------------------
NO MO MONEY RACING

Gone Production Racing

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have almost 50 or 60 national races and 7 runoffs in my log book and I have NEVER seen anyone busted for slight dents, scuffs and tire marks. After crashes the log books of those involved are noted with "fix before you race" and the next race the tech guys look at the car before they give you a tech sticker. But never for little stuff.
If a car has to be showroom, and I don't care what class, you are going to have very small fields in every class with doors or fenders.
Trailer rash alone will knock out half the field in Production or ASedan.

Steve Johnson Verified Driver

Region: KC Region
Car #: 41
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wheel, Had troubles loading the car lately or sometihing? [duck]

--------------------
Stephen Johnson
#41 Mid-Div

Evan D

Region: CFR/FL region
Car #: 71
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Evan D   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was pretty comical...I guess that is Nats. Good experience for me...It was my second race in a SM and the first time in that car. I spent all weekend doing Transmissions for friends and didnt touch the "potato chip" I was driving (yellow #35)...it was in dire need of set up it pushed like a pig turning left and pushed right just not as bad...also needed service...belts squealing like an old street car on the grid brakes vibrating, oil burning, rear end sitting 1 inch higher than everyone on the grid...looked wierd....but the car got it done! mine should be done for this weekend I hope. Great competition in SM!!! I hope to be closer to the front from here out. great racing with all of you and see ya on the track!!

--------------------
Evan Darling
SEDIV SARRC ITA Champion....(In an Integra)

whenry
Veteran Member

Region: East Tenn
Car #: 06
Icon 1 posted  Profile for whenry     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As Jim said, welcome to the big time. Anyone familiar with the history of SportRenault/SpecRacer could see this coming. The Series Steward is charged with keeping the class "in line". Sebring just set the tone and it will probably continue throughout the country for the next few months. The perceived violations of SM are widely known and the rules will be enforced. I wonder how many folk will do engine and other compliance mods before the next National.
I just wish that I could join y'all in Florida.

--------------------
Wayne Henry SM 06

Jim Daniels

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Just be patient guys. I'm sure it's just a matter of settling in as a National class. I think JD who has been National racing a long time probably agrees with this. JD?
Yup, it will pass, just a wake up, one that many foretold. National will never be as relaxed as regional events though, nor should it be.

SS means clean bodies, should be that way in regionals too but....

Did you guys think I was kidding when I said I've been tossed for missing the drivers side wiper wind deflector? I was not...

But, to me, this is not bad. The way I look at it I just got 5 years of relaxed racing, now time to get with the program (albeit after this crack down settles a bit).

Let me suggest something, read the GCR and the SM rules, make sure your car complies on the easy to detect items, your life will go much easier these next few months.

Jim Daniels

quote:
Originally posted by OnlineAlias:
So,what would be a reasonable alternative to bump drafting? Lifting? [rolling on floor laughin] Ya, right...

Lift or pass, no different than every other class out there. You guys are spoiled I tell you.....

Jim Daniels

Mark, that was much more concerning to me. I suspect it is coming, stay tuned.....

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With time to reflect, I think it will take a few races perhaps half the season, but the new enforcement of the "No contact rules" will be OK. I think the drivers will tighten up and the Stewards will be loosening up at the same time. No one was effected more by the penalities than me, I went from 5-10, I feel my race was as clean or cleaner than anyone in top ten. If I can get over this, so can everyone else. I have put his weekend behind me and plan on moving on.

No one has really commented on just how great the racing was so, I am done with the negatives, Heres what I saw!

I won a few races last year and did pretty well in my division, but whenever I would get the least bit cocky, I would go down visit my friends in the SE div and get my a$$ handed to me. I expected more of the same. This time with Deweys help all day in the test day, I was able to qualify under the track record, unfortunately that put me only 4th [banghead] No small feat as I started about 4 seconds off the pace when we started the test day. Thanks Bud!

The race itself started off with a bang, or should I say a bump [Big Grin] and a two position penalty. Buras and I went from p2&4 to p1&2. We stayed that way for 1-2 laps and then Foss came up and went under me in T3 like I was stuck in first gear. Van Hurst soon followed. I was content to latch on to the 4 car train and break away from the pack. Seemed like we broke away almost immmediatley. Buras,Van hurst and Foss were really dicing it up, why I don't know, but it sure was fun too watch! We were still pulling away, so all was fine. I think we had like a 6-8 second lead. I was hoping to sneak by on the last lap when those three came together. [Big Grin] My race was basically over on lap 11, I got checked up when Foss and Vanhurst came together, I got bogged in third and missed the downshift to second a few times. By the time I looked up, I was a good bit behind. I drove the tires off trying to catch up and eventually went off and dropped back to 5th as Chip Herr got by as well.

The racing was great, I must say it was really fun racing with you guys some of my best friends in racing are in that division.
If I was in the SE division, I think I would be concerned by a guy named Foss! He is the real deal and I think he is a threat to win your division, maybe even the whole enchalada! I saw him do some things in the car that I haven't seen before, He is a one cool character! Todd, what can you say, somehow you always pull them out! When I dropped off the pack, it seemed that Vanhurst had the car to beat and he was driving the wheels off of it as well.
It was nice to see Chip Herr back in the Miata as well, Next time Dewey and I are going to hang him from a telephone pole, not fair to be a 100 lb pilot in a Miata! [Razz] We will be pulling for you this year.

In the end, I take more from the compliments and phone calls I receievd from the guys I raced with up front and friends than I could ever get from a little trophy or some points. I will make them up somwhere else, I'm sure. I appreciate all the calls guys! You know who you are.

Carlos G, thanks for the words, sorry to have missed you this weekend.

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Krys Dean

Region: Florida
Car #: 44
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Krys Dean   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Guys,

I was the Tech Steward for the Sebring National, but Toni is the Steward for SeDiv National SM and she calls the shots. It should have been no surprixe that the first few Nationals were going to be closely scrutinized, SM has a bit of a reputation and that is something National DOES NOT want perpetuated in, what will be, a very visible class. Mazda has a dog in this hunt, they don't want a bunch of "barbarians" showing off the cars they sell, and National would very much like to improve Manufacturer support in all of National Club Racing so SM is VERY much a Spotlight Series.

As to the stewards encouraging protests, I was one of the most vocal about doing just exactly that, most SM drivers are good considerate drivers who want to win, but not at any price, however there are a few loose canons out there that need to be cooled down, the Stewards can't do a lot about that without driver cooperation, if you want to clean up the series and avoid three hour impounds, writeups for minor body damage and incidental contact, get involved. No one likes to file a protest, but you guys have to make the decision about whether you want a serious National Series, or if you are content to settle for a crash and burn series that will fade into obscurity because no one wants to get their car torn up week after week. Were there protests filed at Sebring by drivers? yes, at least one for jumping the start, but I dont know of any others. The bottom line is when a driver comes to me complaining about rough driving and contact with damage, I WILL tell him to file a protest, it is the only way anything can be done to stop the carnage. Were ALL of the classes treated the same? Probably not, but not every class has the reputation SM has right now and incidently, the Formula cars in the shunt earlier in this thread, There were two expensive cars totally dstroyed (the tubs were penetrated), one driver transported with SERIOUS, even life threatening injuries and a much shortened race, do you Really want us to just let you "go for it"? Lets all work together for a series that can be one of the best National series SCCA has ever done, one of the first National series in a long time that makes it possible for the everyday racer to be a part of a National series.

Many Stewards are also drivers (I am), and we don't always do everything right, but we try, we don't do things just to pump up our egos or to create problems for racers, after all we want to enjoy the racing too, and I personally HATE to write paper, but I also hate to take photos of destroyed cars and write reports about injured drivers, I would much rather just watch the races.

--------------------
Krys Dean

pdmracing Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: atlanta
Car #: 58
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pdmracing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You want to learn "Foss's" secrets , just take the Panoz school at road atlanta where he is the lead instructor, he wwill coach you for a fee of course!

--------------------
http://www.loansquick.com

Jim Daniels

quote:
If I was in the SE division, I think I would be concerned by a guy named Foss!
For sure! While I'm at it, Eric is the newest addition to our team. He will be heading up our school in TX and racing a "MER-JD" SM at select events (TX, June Sprints and Runoffs) for the shop, what a talent.

Bernard Verified Driver
Really Tall Member

Region: CSCC
Car #: 57
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bernard     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Frankly, not withstanding my sympathy for Drago and others who had to feel the Masters' punishing hands, I for once like the idea of being able to race and not have to worry about too many "loose canons" who drive like their Formula 1 contract depends on it.

On the SCCA production board, there are some drivers considering to jump from the slowly dying G/P and H/P classes into SM. You should read the comments there in regards to SM, that basically say: "either you do engine or body work; I rather do engine work."

SM does have a rather questionable reputation, we all know it, so I don't mind the stewards' intention of cleaning up the act.
I'm also one of the few who maintains saying that a car should not be neglected, not even if it's "only" a race car. And while I think body damage should be fixed, I don't think writing up shallow dings in a headlight cover will get much sympathy from anybody. Could it be that they went a bit too far with that? Time will tell. Phoenix is coming up for us West Coast guys and probably a few cowboys from the Lone Star State, so we'll know more in a week from now.

--------------------
Bernard
World's Tallest Ex SM Pilot

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SRF and SM get the reputation of being "crashers", but that's simply what happens when you put 35+ closely matched cars in the same bullring. It is more a sign of a SUCCESSFUL class than anything else.

I suppose it is pretty easy to keep one's nose clean in the typical National class, with 3-10 cars, many of them entire seconds off each other's times. It takes no extraordinary skill or restraint to avoid driving your Spridget into the one 10 carlengths ahead of you ... perhaps we should put the Mid Ohio Neon Jamcar Batallion in every GT and Prod class to liven things up for them? [Big Grin]

Open wheel is obviously a different story ...

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for pdmracing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Daniels:
quote:
For sure! While I'm at it, Eric is the newest addition to our team. He will be heading up our school in TX and racing a "MER-JD" SM at select events (TX, June Sprints and Runoffs) for the shop, what a talent.
what school?

--------------------

Dave J Verified Driver

Region: St. Louis
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave J     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for your perspective, Krys. Knowing you and that you are a driver first and foremost, it helps to establish a more calm view of the situation. I believe you that you want what is best for all of us.

With my nearly 30 years of GT background, I was uneasy about SM and the apparent willingness to engage in body contact. Sure was different than what I was used to! While it sounds like the Sebring race was used to make a point, I am glad Drago has given a more favorable report after the emotions ebbed a bit, and I for one will be more comfortable participating knowing the class is being scrutinized. As long as we all know the rules, and they are administered equally, we can have clean races where the best person wins, as it should be.

Thanks to all who have contributed comments to this topic. If nothing else it will be a wake-up call to those whose seasons haven't begun yet and help us avoid the same mistakes.

Good luck and good racing to all for 2006!
Dave Jones

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by MBennett:
SRF and SM get the reputation of being "crashers", but that's simply what happens when you put 35+ closely matched cars in the same bullring. It is more a sign of a SUCCESSFUL class than anything else.

Well put. While we do have a few cowboys in the class, most of us do want to keep our cars straight.

At the same time, I don't think that means we need to be singled out for special monitoring, like the headlight covers. That's just harassment, and I hope the officials have more important things to do.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Krys Dean

Region: Florida
Car #: 44
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Krys Dean   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Dave, this is a great class with a super future and who know, maybe I will decide to get rid of my GT-1 car and move up to SM one day.

The statement that there are a few "Cowboys" creating most of the problems is correct, that is where the drivers come in, let them know their behaviour will not be tolerated, but do it officially, write paper, I know filing protests is distasteful, but it wont take long to send the message loud and clear, as Stewards we will back you up.

Frankly, I am not crazy about standing around the impound area for hours either, but maybe the statement had to be made and now that it has been, we can move on to the rest of the season.

See you at Homestead

--------------------
Krys Dean

Jim Daniels

quote:
Originally posted by pdmracing:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Daniels:
quote:
what school?
We currently operate 10 Mazda 6s (corporate events mainly) and do one-on-one driver coaching at MSR. We plan on adding a small fleet of SMs (all Ď99s coinciding with the opening of our new shop) and a driving / setup clinic for the SM racer (a popular request I get). Eric is my personal coach and friend, Iím glad to have him head up our effort.

Look for a very interesting press release soon!!

Not to hijack the post, but I have known Eric for years & have run some large events @ R/A for D/C & the clients LOVED him. Good choice.
Pete

--------------------

Jim Daniels

Yeah, sorry for the side step, had to plug him since it came up.... Back to Sebring....

Matt Weisberg Verified Driver

Region: 11
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Weisberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Guys, this will get worked out. There was some initial nervousness about SM and the close racing unlike any other class given the numbers. Give it a little time. The officials need to understand that things are a little different and they need to understand a little more about the class and some of its unique components. Just be patient. It's going to be great.

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Weisberg:
Guys, this will get worked out. There was some initial nervousness about SM and the close racing unlike any other class given the numbers. Give it a little time. Just be patient. It's going to be great.

Someone has kidnapped Matt Weisberg and is posting under his name.

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let me preface this by saying I was not at Sebring.

I kinda take it personal that I've been looped into the loose cannon bit. I have raced in the SEDIV and several national level events and have run door to door with many of the people you are calling loose cannons. I have to say that we are very respectful. In the SEDIV last year I did not have a single racing contact and that included many door to door races for wins. I think many of us are very respectful of each other and contact is very minimal and many times accidental. Don't get me wrong, intentional contact should be punished. Toni did warn us and I understand the enforcement so now I know how things will be handled the rest of the year.

What really upsets me is that the cars post race inspection was a joke. If people really want to get this class under control there is going to have to be a little more in this department. It was the first race and now we are under control on the track thanks to the many penalties, but now it's time to treat us like everyone else. thanks,

Mat

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:

On the SCCA production board, there are some drivers considering to jump from the slowly dying G/P and H/P classes into SM. You should read the comments there in regards to SM, that basically say: "either you do engine or body work; I rather do engine work."

If production's fields (or any of the closed wheel national classes) were as large and close as ours, they'd do engine and body work [Wink] You saw the EP runoffs this year, right? or GP last year, or T2 in 2002, or AS in 04, or GT1 in 2001 or... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Jason Saini Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Saini   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Something has been bugging me about this topic... It finally dawned on me. Wile I appreciate the role and sacrifice of the volunteer stewards, I stand by my assessment that this particular sequence of events on this particular weekend was uncalled for. I understand that the Stewards are looking out for the greater good, but we're all in this together and it's much more effective to deal with problems (percieved or otherwise) by treating people as your peers - not your subordinates.

SM has run four times now at a high profile National weekend... the first two were at the Milwaukee Cup race, organized by George Kofman and run in conjunction with the CAT National at Road America. We had our own run group, and were watched like hawks by the stewards of the National race. We were not treated like third-graders, the rules were spelled out to us in a special driver's meeting - BUT the whole thing had an air of professionalism and courtesy about it. From the reports coming out of Sebring, it sounds like things weren't handled in a professional manner.

Also, I don't remember hearing similar stories from the Phoenix National weekend?

Again, I wasn't there - so I'm going on second hand stories... and I fully unnderstand and appreciate the stewards reasoning behind it. Just remember... this wasn't the first National race that SM has run with, it was simply the first one in a certain geographical area.

As has been mentioned here before - SM has a reputation, but having raced here for the last two years, I think it's a misconception. In the whole time I've been racing, I'm loathe to come up with ONE incident where someone INTENTIONALLY took someone out of a race or 'punted' them on purpose. The contact that happens in our class is a byproduct of the close, competitive nature of the racing. I don't think it's gonna change anytime soon.

I don't think the SM bunch deserves the hooligan status they have been given... It's just a big fat old-fashioned case of 'Can't we all just get along?!' And I think we can.

Good luck to everyone at Homestead, wish I was there to play. [Smile]

[ 01-12-2006, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Jason Saini ]

--------------------
-Jason Saini :: Fort Worth, TX
-Team MER :: 2007 MX-5 Cup Champion
-2008 SPEED TC Rookie of the Year!
-Based at Motorsport Ranch
-Autobarn Mazda . SafeRACER

Steve Johnson Verified Driver

Region: KC Region
Car #: 41
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ya wanna see hooligans, come race in the Mid Div.! [duck]

In all reality, we have a pretty good group of officals in Mid-Div. For the most part, they are more than fair, knowledgeable and want everyone to have a good time. I'm not just saying that because I am pretty good friends with the oldest Steward in the history of auto racing. Ask around, most will say that the races here are run top notch. All the stories I hear make me not want to run out of division.

--------------------
Stephen Johnson
#41 Mid-Div

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by springfielddyno:
If production's fields (or any of the closed wheel national classes) were as large and close as ours, they'd do engine and body work [Wink] You saw the EP runoffs this year, right? or GP last year, or T2 in 2002, or AS in 04, or GT1 in 2001 or... [Big Grin]

I nominate this for "Post Of The Year" ...

P.S. And SSB in 2003 ... or was it 2004? Whatever, the one where Grahovec gets punted 17 times ...

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

jmark

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jmark     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A few pics from Sebring.

-

-

Superman

Region: Buccaneer
Car #: 21
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Superman   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hmm...I can't seem to make out his car #...hehe!
Just kidding, Todd. ;-)

Mike King
SM Newb

tburas Verified Driver Series Champ
SM

Region: 003
Car #: 56
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is an interesting story. Just ask Drago, Dewey and Chip VanVurst.

We were in a 4 car nose to tail line going down the back stretch, 4 inches from the grass. Along comes a GT-3 prod car and turns down on me. He almost wrecked his car. The key word is turns down on me going in a straight line!!!

Dewey, Drago take it from here..

--------------------
[URL=http://www.toddburas.com]
//East Street Auto//Traqmate//SafeRacer//

alberto_mg

Car #: NE
Icon 1 posted  Profile for alberto_mg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As an outsider who has been considering SM and other classes such as ITA and other Spec Rx7 classes, I read this thread with great interest. I've been racing karts for the last 4-5 years and am looking for a change.

Let me start by saying that I love Miatas and driving them fast on track. To date, driving a Miata on track is the most fun I've ever had. Even compared with faster cars such as my 93 RX7, e36 BMW and other 2nd gen RX7s.

Now I'm going to piss some of you off by stating my outsider's observation of SM racing...

I've seen a few events where SM ran at Lime Rock and was always let down with the quality of driving I observed. Especially after watching drivers in other classes such as IT and EP. Way too much unnecessary contact, blatant blocking and just plain poor racing etiquette. I saw one guy get blatantly punted by some moron in the S'es after Big Bend and wound up rolling. Poor guy lost his car b/c of some moron. Pathetically reminded me of a NASCAR race.

I'd love to race SM because the Miata is a great car and a Spec class has very attractive economics, but given the above observations it would be cheaper and less risky for me to run a 1st gen RX7 in ITA or one of the other Spec RX7 classes. Even ITS might be cheaper given the cost of some developed Miatas.

Anything they can do to decrease contact and increase driving/racing quality is a good thing for the class. You spend less money fixing your broken car and actually get to drive, race and earn a win.

Thats my 2 cents.

WANNABE

Car #: whatever I can talk someone into letting me drive
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WANNABE     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by alberto_mg:
As an outsider who has been considering SM and other classes such as ITA and other Spec Rx7 classes, I read this thread with great interest. I've been racing karts for the last 4-5 years and am looking for a change.

Let me start by saying that I love Miatas and driving them fast on track. To date, driving a Miata on track is the most fun I've ever had. Even compared with faster cars such as my 93 RX7, e36 BMW and other 2nd gen RX7s.

Now I'm going to piss some of you off by stating my outsider's observation of SM racing...

I've seen a few events where SM ran at Lime Rock and was always let down with the quality of driving I observed. Especially after watching drivers in other classes such as IT and EP. Way too much unnecessary contact, blatant blocking and just plain poor racing etiquette. I saw one guy get blatantly punted by some moron in the S'es after Big Bend and wound up rolling. Poor guy lost his car b/c of some moron. Pathetically reminded me of a NASCAR race.

I'd love to race SM because the Miata is a great car and a Spec class has very attractive economics, but given the above observations it would be cheaper and less risky for me to run a 1st gen RX7 in ITA or one of the other Spec RX7 classes. Even ITS might be cheaper given the cost of some developed Miatas.

Anything they can do to decrease contact and increase driving/racing quality is a good thing for the class. You spend less money fixing your broken car and actually get to drive, race and earn a win.

Thats my 2 cents.

Seems to me you haven't been watching the FRONT RUNNERS
[Smile]

Evan D

Region: CFR/FL region
Car #: 71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Evan D   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think you will find those bad elements in any class. I instruct at track days and spend alot of time doing them and you will find much better driving at those events than in a club race...no passing and hand signals to pass...SM has alot of really close competitive racing and I dont think you will find a closer group out there. I race ITA as well and see some crazy stuff. If all ITA cars were as even as SM's are and the fields were as big, I'm sure there would be blocking punting etc...

--------------------
Evan Darling
SEDIV SARRC ITA Champion....(In an Integra)

Bill Pruitt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
You know you miss him...

Region: WMR
Car #: 18
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Pruitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Part of the issue is large field numbers, but another is being included with other classes, a necessity until the large SM entries of the past year or so gave us our own class at many venues.
To race in a spec class is frustrating enough, with the cars so evenly matched that an outright run on a leading car often means that you barely cover his back quarter panel. Double the frustration when you're held up by cars that should be faster by class.
It's been my experience that fewer incidents occur between SM guys than between SM'ers and ITA/B/C, (etc.) drivers that can wax us on the straights but wank in the corners and block everywhere else. Driving wide is one thing, quite another when the obviously faster car isn't even in your class. Such is racing.

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Evan D:
I instruct at track days and spend alot of time doing them and you will find much better driving at those events than in a club race...

Huh? My experience is quite different. Around here anyway (different end of the country, I know), track days seem to be filled with ego-driven people, often with more money than brains and way more car than skill.

Now you certainly could say the same for club racing, but at least in a club race you can dispatch Mr. Ego by passing him under braking or in a corner, as opposed to driving around in a train, waiting for a point-by that will never come.

I must race with the right group of people, because blocking and punting really doesn't happen very much at all here in the NW. Strangely, when it does happen, it happens up front. [scratchchin] I guess it's because we're a relatively small and close-knit group and everybody knows everybody, their wives, their kids, etc.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

alberto_mg

Icon 1 posted  Profile for alberto_mg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Actually the front runners drive well. But at the few races I observed, anything after the front runners were... disheartening to watch.

Now that I think about it, I didn't catch any races last year so perhaps what I saw was just a lot of newbies early in their careers. Maybe the ranks have gotten better. I know when I was racing with the newbie karting class it was a similar situation. Thankfully I had 10+ years of HPDE to pull me out of that class quickly. [Smile]

The Kart classes I run are all spec classes so I know very well the frustration. I still wouldn't intentionally punt a competitor to get them out of my way if I couldn't find a clean way around.

It IS worse in classes with lots of cars. It really puts an emphasis on qualifying well so you don't have to spend as much time [trying to] passing slower cars/karts.

Best of luck to you guys. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the track this year. [Smile]

alberto_mg

Oh and fwiw, I've experienced both the ego centric at HPDE track days as well as the quality track days. It all depends on the maturity of the participants.

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alberto
No offense buddy, But this is one of those deals, until you walk a mile in our shoes...
As mentioned time and time again, the racing is close, but you have sometimes 40+ cars that are equal.
I willing to put the upper tier SM drivers against any other drivers in any other class.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

dewey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: 083 Central Florida Region
Car #: 74
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dewey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just for the record the contact that Todd has on his car was from the test day on Friday and GT-3 Nissian forgot that he had any car behind his drivers seat.He (the driver of the Gt-3) passed four of us on the back straight or should i say Three and a half of us.Ran into Todd on the straightaway.One of the wierdest things I have ever seen on a race track.

Dewey Harding

--------------------
deweyrx7@aol.com

MegaModerator

Had to see it to actually believe it! Even better than the visual was the commentary from the GT3 driver. I think it was "you turned into me!" [Big Grin]
Almost as funny as he wife telling others that is why we are not a National Class! We don't know how to drive! At least the GT# driver finally did come around and admit he made a mistake after three or 4 people told him what happened. I guess our SM's were just a tick faster than he anticipated! [Big Grin]

It was almost as strange as the corner worker not throwing the flag when a car blew up in turn one leaving Dewey and I find out there was no longer a braking zone, just an oil slick! Not a fun way to get up to speed at a track! Still amazed we didn't hit each other or the wall!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

alberto_mg

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Drago:
Alberto
No offense buddy, But this is one of those deals, until you walk a mile in our shoes...
As mentioned time and time again, the racing is close, but you have sometimes 40+ cars that are equal.
I willing to put the upper tier SM drivers against any other drivers in any other class.
Jim

No offense taken Jim. No offense meant to any of you guys either.

I was just stating an observation and hoping to learn a bit from reading the forums here as I decide what my next steps should be.

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim, could the oil be seen from the station? Out of the blowups I have seen only about 50% resulted in actual fluid droppage, rest have been lots of purty smoke.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

MegaModerator

Lance
I don't know to be honest? I would assume that the standard procedure would be to error on the side of caution? It did suprise me however after we both spun the corner work just held the flag out and not waved the hell out of it? I have to be honest, I am guilty of watching the corner worker as much as the flag sometimes. Maybe not the best practice? If I see a corner worker holding a yellow I lift a little, if I see one waving the hell out of it, I go a heck of a lot slower. [Big Grin]

In no way am I trying to take away from our corner workers, I appreciate all that is done so by you guys so I can enjoy my hobby.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No offense taken at all, was more curious then anything else.

I tend to wait to know for sure that something is down before throwing the debris flag. The debris flag encompasses so many issues I hate to throw it needlessly for something that is not/may not there(i.e.-not sure of fluid being down) only to have someone lose an exhaust a lap later leaving pieces all over the track.

Mike B Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidSouth (66)
Car #: 67
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Drago:
...If I see a corner worker holding a yellow I lift a little, if I see one waving the hell out of it, I go a heck of a lot slower. [Big Grin] ...

Jim,

This is good news! (But when did you start looking at the flags?) [duck]

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: