Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Springfield Dyno Exhaust @ Laguna Seca

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Springfield Dyno Exhaust @ Laguna Seca
tvance85

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tvance85     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We were planning to run the NASA HPDE event at LS and wondered if we would have any issues with this exhaust (92 db at 50 feet is the requirement). I am assuming it will be over the limit...Id so what modifications can I make to make it legal for the weekend? Thanks in advance.

Sacslider
Uber time waster

Region: SFRegion
Car #: #27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sacslider   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No, you will not pass sound. At minimum you will need to add another muffler (most use a magna flow, offset in center out) to the system. You would be better off building a laguna system rather than cobbling something together if you will be there more than once this year.

--------------------
Craig Evans
#27 Spec Miata
San Francisco Region
Life, Liberty, and pursuit of another checkered flag.
SpecMiataSuperstore.com

Ken Tubbs Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Oregon
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Tubbs     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What can be done with a Mazda Comp exhaust specifically for Laguna?

Ken

Jack Arluck Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jack Arluck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A Mazda Comp exhaust with a hollowed out cat will pass sound 99% of the time. A Mazda Comp exhaust with a full cat will pass sound all the time. That said I run a Mazda Comp with a hollowed cat and have never had a sound problem.

Jack

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A search turns up good answers to your question:

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/26/426.html#000019
http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/44/928.html
http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/26/51.html
http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/26/257.html

JD

JeffG11 Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 11
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JeffG11   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by tvance306:
We were planning to run the NASA HPDE event at LS and wondered if we would have any issues with this exhaust (92 db at 50 feet is the requirement). I am assuming it will be over the limit...Id so what modifications can I make to make it legal for the weekend? Thanks in advance.

I can't offer advice specific to Laguna Seca, but here is my experience with the Springfield Dyno Exhaust (SDE).

Waterford Hills has a requirement of 75 dB at the property line. I ran a SDE with a turn down pointed down and away from the sound wall. This system blew a 77 dB. People have had success with adding a 2.5" Supertrapp attached to the end of their SDE. The Supertrapp is good for approximately 3-4 dB, depending on weather. I recently tested a SDE, SDE w/Supertrapp, and a stock exhaust system on a chassis dyno. The Supertrapp only cost the car 1/2 hp.

For reference, my car blew a 94 dB with the SDE at Mid-Ohio during an OVR-SCCA regional this summer.

For what it is worth, I am going with the Supertrapp next year.

Jeff

[ 12-23-2007, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: JeffG11 ]

--------------------
 -

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can I have my Supertrapp back now Ski? [Big Grin]

tvance85

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tvance85     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jeff - Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for.

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

77db??? That doesn't sound right...I put on a Laguna specific exhaust system and it blows sound at 90db once in a while. The SD exhaust I have is orders of magnitude louder...more like 96db-98db...

I found a 90 deg elbow to be worth maybe 1 db at LS...

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I asked for sound checks last time at Laguna with my SDE and 90 degree elbow during the ITA race. They recorded 97,98,97 if it's foggy or low overcast add a dB or two to those readings.

Dennis

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: