Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » What would your weekend schedule be?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: What would your weekend schedule be?
John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you had your choice how would you like your weekend racing schedule to look like?

Please feel free to dialog more options...

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can't think of a reason to have a qualifying race based on the 1st day results. But I'd love to hear the allure.

To me, that sounds like the best recipe for a processional race. I'm cool with those in F1 cause they have pit stops and strategy. But pretty darn boring in a sprint race.

Here's a scenario: You're slighly faster than someone but have a bad start and get stuck behind that person after the start of the Saturday race. If the track is difficult to pass on (Curiously enough, Configuration #13 CW at Buttonwillow comes to mind), you'd be looking at a Saturday race, Sunday qualifying, AND Sunday race all stuck behind the same person--even though you can run slightly faster lap times. It wouldn't be long before someone gets frustrated and makes some stupid move to force the issue.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

bc88 Verified Driver

Region: CalClub
Car #: 21
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bc88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John or Rob, You guys have been running with NASA for the past few years, right? I would like to know in years past have they always had standing starts and inverted races?

Bob

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Never had qualy races, inverted or otherwise. Sometimes standing starts for the honda challenge guys if they wanted it.

So if enough ppl want something and it's feasible, it will get done (hence the poll).

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bob;
2007 was my & RJ Racing's (Rob) rookie year and we were 2 of the 3.7 SMs per race running SoCal NASA over the season. Sean has been around a few years he could answer better than us (but car count was low then too).

Anyway, at the four events I attended last year SM's were gridded with Spec 944, PT, & E30 a rolling start every time and never had a qual race (let alone inverted). Now, we shared the sessions with HC and they had standing starts a few times but they had 20-30 cars and we had less than four.

I like this years variations but if it makes our new friends unhappy (not attending because of the format) I'd rather go back to a more classic/predictable schedule to have more cars. [thumbsup]

IM if you have specific thoughts, concerns & ideas.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

tvance85

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tvance85     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob - I think the allure is simply the addtional racing laps...Three races in a weekend as opposed to two. My personal preference is using the results from Saturday to grid, but we could always go with a pea pick to make it a bit more interesting. The inverted field thing is all wrong in my opinion. Just my two cents.

quote:
Originally posted by tvance306:
Rob - I think the allure is simply the addtional racing laps...Three races in a weekend as opposed to two. My personal preference is using the results from Saturday to grid, but we could always go with a pea pick to make it a bit more interesting. The inverted field thing is all wrong in my opinion. Just my two cents.

If it's about racing time, let's make a Practice Race too then. [Smile]

Personally I'm not a fan of using any prior day results. I like going back to Zero each day and everyone having to do their best to stay ahead.

And while the inverted qualy race at Cal Speedway was fun, I think that was mainly because it was a novelty. Qualifying for me is about getting that one "perfect" lap. And then the next time I try to beat that perfect lap, and so on. Unfortunately "perfect" laps don't happen under race conditions, especially with an inverted grid.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
...the allure is simply the addtional racing laps...Three races in a weekend as opposed to two...

I think Tom summed it up... we want to race. We want to race door handle to door handle, not do track/lap days. The more opportunity to race, the better. 2x40min race a weekend is good, 3x30min race is just as good, but all "races" need to count (i.e. points wise, trophies), otherwise it's not a "race".

Also if the other class (say HC) in a combined race group wants a standing start on Sunday, by all means do that. We did that in WS. The first class did a rolling while the 2nd split did a standing. Everyone's happy [Smile]

CLee

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also for scheduling, on the final day, the earlier we can finish the better because we usually have a long tow back home.

So for me is ok to have different schedule for Sat vs Sun.

tvance85

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tvance85     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob - I agree, the inverted field thing is ridiculous, and I hear you on putting together a perfect lap, but to me that is what TT is all about.

Like Clement said, the more time we can run mirror to mirror the better...I also like the idea of running for points in all three races. I'm not sure how drops work, but maybe add a drop in this scenario?

tvance85

Clement - Are you going to test on Friday?

I'm not talking about the perfect lap for the sake of a perfect lap--I agree that is what TT is for.

We use the perfect lap to gauge performance gains or losses with changes to the car. We'll do that within sessions even. We're not one of the guys that's been doing this for years and has the perfect setup for all tracks and conditions. We're still trying to figure it out.

And if you want nothing more than wheel to wheel racing without any prep or car development, you can find plenty of that at your local Golf N Stuff go kart track. [Smile] It's a lot cheaper there too.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

CLee

quote:
Clement - Are you going to test on Friday?

Yeah, I think most of us will be there Friday. [Smile]

tvance85

Rob - When you say "We use the perfect lap to gauge performance gains or losses with changes to the car. We'll do that within sessions even" to me that is testing and I typically try and do that on a test day as opposed to a race day (it's a heck of a lot cheaper).

Believe me, I am not the guy who has it figured out...I have raced one weekend so far, but I would rather gain experience racing on a race weekend and fine tuning / developing the car on a test day. You asked what the allure was, I replied. Not trying to wage a war, just stating my opinion. [Smile] See you out at BWRP

I wasn't trying to wage a war either. We kind of got off track anyway--funny how that happens in an internet forum.

Obviously I'm making the case for what's best for my team. But I'm also kind of a traditionalist. The buildup to the race with practice and qualy is half the fun for me. Getting the car as good as it can get for the conditions of that day is important to me. Then the race actually feels like an event to me. And then starting the next day fresh let's me do it all over again. I can see how some guys just want to race race race. But that's not me.

Looking forward to racing with you again at buttonwillow. Altho if they do a traditional practice and qualy I'll have enough time to improve the car so that I'll be too far ahead of you. [Smile] You best hope for a qualy race now. Haha

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

tvance85

If I recall correctly I actually finished ahead of you on Friday at Cal Speed with the traditional format, you beat me on Saturday with the inverted field, so I am now routing for the Qualifying session [Smile]

I wasn't racing against you on friday. That was my bro. Nice try tho. [Smile]

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

jeremybarnes

Region: San Diego
Car #: 14
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jeremybarnes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just out of curiosity, as BW is designed to have multiple configurations and can be run in both directions, any particular reason NASA couldn't arrange a complete track change between Saturday and Sunday? Perhaps we run the same configuration in the other direction, or a completely different configuration? You know, just to mix things up a bit... Not to put the cat amongst the pigeons here, but food for thought?

Also, my money's on race, race, race, rather than simply driving as fast as you can in a practice or qualifying session -- that's what SMs do better than anything else I've ever driven, and that's when they're the most fun. After a rather uneventful proactice and qualifying session at the SCCA BW National last week, I had an amazing race with Chuck Matthews, swapping positions at least twice a lap for 10+ laps. That's why I built a Spec Miata, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Jeremy Barnes
SDR SCCA/SoCal NASA, #14

I think what would prevent a change in track config is just a logistics thing. They'd have to rearrange all the cones and whatnot--and course workers already work hard enough during the weekend. Also, with HPDE they probably want the newer drivers to have some progression over the weekend. That would be tougher with a change in track.

Man, you guys really get bored quickly. We have some really short attention spans in this group.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
...HPDE they probably want the newer drivers to have some progression over the weekend. That would be tougher with a change in track.

Yep, spot-on right here! Think back when we were first starting, I'm betting none of us were Schumacher esque.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: