Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » AMB transponder ownership issues

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: AMB transponder ownership issues
spec pinata

Region: NE Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spec pinata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just purchased a spec miata that came with a hardwired AMB transponder. When I went to mylaps.com to register, I was told that I could not transfer ownership of the transponder and that my only option was to trade it in on a new one!

This seems like a waste of everyone's time, cost and labor. I would be glad to pay a reasonable registration/transfer fee as a new user of an existing transponder but to have to remove,trade in and purchase a new one when one is already in my car seems a very poor call on the part of AMB.

Bruce

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you have to have the previous owner do the transfer

Call and have them take care of it.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

spec pinata

Icon 1 posted  Profile for spec pinata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Tony for that info.

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I only know because I had the same issue [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys missed the thread from last week. AMB no longer transfers transponders.

All of my cars are for sale less transponder for that reason.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Joe Benton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 37
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Benton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
AMB no longer transfers transponders.

If the new marketing executives at AMB don't reconsider, MyLaps is likely to become as useful as last week's other old rags.

--------------------
Joe Benton
King Rat Motorsports
PBC Automotive

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can anyone come up with a name and contact information for someone in upper management at AMB? This is not a customer friendly decision and dimenishes the value of their product. Whoever changed their policy clearly was motivated by the idea that it would require old owners to retain their transponders and new owners to purchase another transponder if they wish to access their data. Great for AMB, but not very supportive of the customer base. We might also try to come up with the appropriate SCCA staff person to communicate the displeasure with AMB's service. The SCCA approved the AMB timing system and should have more influence in getting the policy reversed. It would be interesting to know at what level within AMB this decision was made. Rather a short sighted policy. A letter/email campaign might be worth the effort.

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone, have better contact data? The US site is unresponsive to this issue and clearly has no ability or willingness to address the problem. We still need to idendify who at SCCA would be the appropriate person to address the issue.

Bas van Rens, currently CEO of AMB-i.t.
AMB Europe
Sales & Support
Operating Hours 08:30-17:00
Central European Time
AMB i.t. B.V.
Zuiderhoutlaan 4
2012 PJ Haarlem
The Netherlands
Telephone: +31 23 529 1893
Fax: +31 23 529 0156
E-mail:info@amb-europe.com

AMB America
Sales & Support
Operating Hours 09:00-17:30
Eastern Standard Time
AMB i.t. US Inc.
3200 Highlands Parkway Ste. 104
Smyrna, GA 30082
U.S.A
Telephone: +1 678 816 4000
Fax: +1 678 816 4001
E-mail:info@amb-us.com

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Terry Whitlock:
Anyone, have better contact data? The US site is unresponsive to this issue and clearly has no ability or willingness to address the problem. We still need to identify who at SCCA would be the appropriate person to address the issue.

What makes you think this is an SCCA issue? AMB has done this to everyone and SCCA makes up just a small part of their world wide customer base.

Dave

old65 Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 6
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let me add my two cents having gone through this twice in the last three years.
All that I did was get the user name and password from the previous owner, go into the account settings and change both of them to what I wanted.
I had to bug the previous owners some to come up with the info but once I had it the change was easy.
Ray

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

AMB has such a large market share, and no real competition, so they can do what they want and know it.

Anything we do isn't going to change that.

Try Ray's idea, and/or move on.

I know its the off season, but we should limit our passionate discussions to tires and parity. [Big Grin]

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by old65:
Let me add my two cents having gone through this twice in the last three years.
All that I did was get the user name and password from the previous owner, go into the account settings and change both of them to what I wanted.
I had to bug the previous owners some to come up with the info but once I had it the change was easy.
Ray

Ray, that was the old way, AMB has changed the policy and you can no longer change transponders. Its one registration and done!!!!

MEAT

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

What makes you think this is an SCCA issue? AMB has done this to everyone and SCCA makes up just a small part of their world wide customer base.

Dave [/QB][/QUOTE]

A number of years ago SCCA evaluated various timing systems and selected AMB as the standard. Anyway if you are satisfied with AMB's policy or feel that it is too small of an issue to merit your time, feel free to ignore my suggestion. However, I assure you that this is a giant PITA for anyone selling or purchasing a car with an existing transponder.

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Being new to this I didn't know about Mylaps. I bought the car with a hard wired transponder. I registered my transponder number in my profile with DLBracing and registered for the SARRC/regional at Sebring. All of my lap times, qualifying, etc showed up on the results on Mylaps and at DLBracing. I guess the downside is that I won't be able to use MYlaps to track my data. I will use an excel spreadsheet.

--------------------
Paul McLester

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like a good time for a competitor to AMB to enter the market.

How surprising in this economy for a company to be able to enjoy a monopoly....

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just sent this email. I encourage others to send similar emails:

info@amb-us.com

Subject: Your new transfer policy for transponders

Your new policy for transfers of transponders is compete and utter bullshit.

I'm looking forward to a competitor coming to the market and forcing you out of your monopoly and cause you to provide actual customer service to your customers.

Your company will live to regret this decision.

It will be a pleasure to purchase a transponder from another company and never purchase any of your products again…

--------------------
CDOC

Thread Killer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why do you guys think mylaps is so important?

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Everyone in the US should register their new AMB transponders with the transponder number as both the user name and password.

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

spec pinata

Great suggestion, TIM!!

Unfortunately, for those of us that just bought a car with a hardwired transponder in it, we now have to remove it, package it up, mail it to AMB,trade it in, pay the difference for a new one, have it shipped and then reinstall it.

I was going to buy a 2nd removeable transponder for my other car before finding out about this policy change. Now, I may just spend the extra money on an incar data aquisition system from another vendor.

Bruce

[ 11-24-2008, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: spec pinata ]

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Bush:
Why do you guys think mylaps is so important?

Greg,
AMB only permits the original owner to register the transponder. If the car/transponder is sold the registration remains with the original owner. While event results posted on MyLaps will show the correct name, the system does not identify the transponder with that driver. The new owner is unable to access any of the detailed lap chart information and the history going forward is not maintained under the new drivers name. Otherwords, that transponder number will always be associated with the original owner. The transponder still works fine for at the track results, but much of the detail is not available to a second owner. AMB's answer is that MyLaps is a service only provided to first purchasers and not supported for second or resale customers. Cars are now being sold less the transponders because the original owners wish to maintain their historical information and purchasers wishing to have access to the full MyLaps information will need to buy a new transponder that can be registered by and uniquely identified with the new driver. Not a show stopper but definitly not customer friendly.

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Thread Killer

I have DAQ and MYLAPS looked too painfull to get anything usefull out of, so I guess I wrote it off years ago.

Its a free service, sounds like you get what you pay for.

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most people have DAQ, Mine doesn't give my competitors times though. The AMB stuff is useful to me.

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

The following was received from SCCA Club Racing in response to my email:

We will be working with our National Administrator of Timing and Scoring to see if we can push a fix for this situation. I had heard about it just recently and you are correct in that we really need to find a solution.

Thanks for providing the details to help us out.

Sincerely,

Terry

Terry Ozment

SCCA

Vice President, Club Racing

PO Box 19400

Topeka, KS 66619

800-770-2055 x 304

785-861-1704 fax

Email has also been sent to AMB USA and to AMB's CEO in the Netherlands. I will post any response from AMB should they provide one.

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Veteran Member

My response from AMB:

-----
Sam,

Thank you for your feedback. I assure you I will be forwarding your thoughts along to our management team.

Sincerely,

Dave Fried
DAVID@AMB-US.COM

--------------------
CDOC

Gearhead Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 41
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gearhead   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As someone else said, AMB provides the MyLaps site at no cost and it is a real asset to the racing community to be able to look at your race positions and see competitors times.

AMB only makes money when they sell you a new transponder so I can understand them making it less easy to recycle old ones, especially if it costs them time/money/headache to reprocess an account. What they really want you to do is keep the transponder, or if you have an old one, trade it in for a shiny new one. This obviously makes them money but it also ensures that the transponder you have is one you can rely on.

They are aware that this new policy has caught some people out. I contacted them and this is the official statement that they released to the SCCA:

http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00000871/MyLapsSCCA_final.pdf

--------------------
Glenn Stephens // Team Traqmate // SM 41 // http://traqmate.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I certainly understand AMB's desires, but they need to give the customer two choices.

#1, "Return the old unit along with X dollars and we'll send you a new shiny new unit." Option #2, "Send us Y dollars and we'll transfer the registration and you keep the old unit."

The delta between #1 and #2 is the profit contribution of option #1 less the cost to build a new unit.

C'mon AMB marketing guys, you gotta be smarter than this retarded policy!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Brian Holtz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Holtz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just found this link on the Production site. Seems AMB will transfer ownership of a used transponder for $50.

http://www.mylaps.com/general/usedtransponders.jsp

Brian

[ 01-28-2009, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Brian Holtz ]

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not so long ago (within the last 90 days) I purchased a used 260dp on eBay; all that had to be done was for the prior owner to "unregister" the transponder on his account, which then enabled me to register it under mine.

The only downside to that is that his events and lap times came over to my registration, but based on the geographical differences along with the event dates it's pretty easy to see which was which.

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

The $50.00 re registration fee is now their official policy based on the following post from their web site:

MyLaps Registration Fee for Used Transponders

To register a previously registered personal transponder to your MyLaps account simply order the service below. Historic results of the used personal transponder you register will still be shown in your account.

When ordering please submit the Personal Transnponder ID number and one of the following details in the comment field in the order process:

First and last name of the previous owner of the transponder or
E-mail address of the previous owner of the transponder or
Last event at which the previous owner used the transponder
Without this information we are unable to remove the transponder number from its current account which makes registering it to a new account impossible.

$50.00

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: