Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Cal Speedway National Race Weekend Tech Breakdown! (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: Cal Speedway National Race Weekend Tech Breakdown!
cert24 Verified Driver

Region: SP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cert24     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello everyone!

Just figured I would let you all know how the 1st West Coast National Race at California Speedway (Auto Club Speedway) went this weekend.

SCCA National office sent out the National Tech representative to tech the cars throughout the weekend. The group was very impressed with the thoroughness and commitment to ensure that the competition stayed level throughout the weekend. The tech official checked the top cars as well as a few random cars from each Spec Miata Regional Qualifying, Regional Race, National Qualifying and National Race session.

Items that were inspected throughout the weekend:

Restrictor Plates
Steering Racks
Visual Suspension Check
Intake Tracks
Airboxes
Throttle Bodies
Intake Manifold
Under Dash Piggyback Visual Check
ECU Check
Cam Gears
Compression Ratio (Whistler)

They also scaled the entire pack of 23 SM cars and found some mid pack cars were under weight.

Only one car was DQ'd during the weekend for a tech infraction:

The person had clearly been sandbagging qualifying to skip being tech'd which became apparent during the race as he motored by the top qualifying cars. Though he locked up the brakes and almost careened off track through 2/3 of the corners he consistently pulled away from the rest of the cars. The top 6 cars were held and compression ratio's were checked with the whistler. All of the cars passed easily except Mr. Motor who checked consistently .4 over on each cylinder.

Overall it was a great weekend! The Tech was everything we have hoped we would see at every event to assure this blatant cheating doesn't occur. I was happy to see also that our local tech officials were paying close attention to what was going on so they can continue this process.

Happy Racing!

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

National Race Results:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1037655

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I guess I'm sort of "new" to this, but what exactly can people do to their steering racks? Run something that has a quicker ratio?

cert24 Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for cert24     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tech inspector stated that they have caught a few 99+ cars with 90-93 steering racks.

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And what would be the advantage of running another year steering rack?

Not saying we should or shouldn't be teching for that -- just honestly curious. I own a '95, so it's no skin off of my back one way or another.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

cert24 Verified Driver

I don't know to be honest. Tech official stated that they have different ratios. Don't know that it is a competitive advantage but certainly it isn't legal within the rules.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cert24:
Tech inspector stated that they have caught a few 99+ cars with 90-93 steering racks.

That is not possible to do, less running an old subframe as well or welding different mounts on old subframe? They do not even bolt up the same?
What was probably beeing checked was looking for 99 steering racks on older cars, thus 99 subframe in 90-97 car.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

cert24 Verified Driver

Thats just what the tech inspector stated when he was checking out the rack on my 99. Not sure as to the accuracy of his explanation.

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Within 90-97, the manual and power racks have different ratios. The power is 15% quicker I think. If you convert the power rack, you are IT illegal. If you put in a manual rack, you are IT legal (and your ham handedness will not be reflected as much as movement in the wheels).

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Somebody brought up in another post the question of if a probation comes with the DQ and I never saw the answer. Anybody know?

How is compression ilegally changed?

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by GW:
Somebody brought up in another post the question of if a probation comes with the DQ and I never saw the answer. Anybody know?

How is compression ilegally changed?

It's compression ratio in this case. Changing the physical dimensions of the combustion chamber will produce a change. Overboring, decking the head, increasing stroke will all change the ratio to some degree.

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Marc Hoover

Region: AZ/SF
Car #: 98
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Marc Hoover   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mr Cert24,

I would like to set the record straight.My engine whistled at blinking 9.0-9.1 on 2 cylinders only.I was quite surprised having had my engines whistled in the past with no problems before this.I decided to forego any tear down to argue the point simply because I had a ten hour tow home.I will investigate further and insure that the engine compression is to spec before the next event.

Marc

cert24 Verified Driver

Mr. Motor,

That is clearly not what the tech officials stated to the other top finishers. Nor what several of the drivers observed while standing there as they tested your car. Video will be up shortly of the race for those interested.

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHZztJKhRI0

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow !!!!!!!!!!............
That is some amazing and telling video!

Robert Edmison Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"Bring out zee gimp!"     - Max Mosley

Region: CSCC
Car #: 55
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Robert Edmison   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Holy [censored] ! Did anyone happen to count the cylinders in that thing?!

Was anything done about that little maneuever at the 2 minute 15 second mark?

It's crap like this that ruins the sport. Hopefully the appropriate penalty was issued.

Vincent Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CalClub
Car #: 28
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vincent   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

wow... since I don't have driving skills: I too need to get me some of that magic horsepower!

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was under the impression all '94 cars were that fast. [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No Blake, I can assure you not all 94's are that fast. Must be the driver...

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Bobby C

Car #: 11
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bobby C     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That car looked like Blake chasing a box of Twinkies!!!!!! [rolling on floor laughin]

Andy Rushing Verified Driver Series Champ
2009 NASA SM National Champion

Region: Lone Star
Car #: 5
Year : '91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Rushing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want to see this '94 against that monster from '08 ARRC in Lamb's video--that would be a heck of a drag race.....

--------------------
Andy Rushing

WChristian 2

Region: So Pac
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WChristian 2     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The car is a beast. I'm still amazed it only managed to qualify 7th for the race [Roll Eyes]

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

what hp is the Camera car?
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Jim

What a well prepped legal 99' is supposed to make.

double post

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Christian:
quote:
Jim

What a well prepped legal 99' is supposed to make.
116 RWHP? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

WChristian 2

Region: So Pac
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WChristian 2     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Jim

About 20 hp less than whatever was in that car I would guess [rolling on floor laughin]

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wonder what they would have found if they went a little deeper. Also from what i've seen posted, those that are whistled read lower then what they really have.

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What did an "ECU check" entail?

--------------------
-Bob Adams

124 hp & 116 torque if you must know.I also left out a part in the video that shows hoover running solo out of the draft passing two 99's around the oval.

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by trimless1:
No Blake, I can assure you not all 94's are that fast.

Thats not what I heard [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Christian:
124 hp & 116 torque if you must know.I also left out a part in the video that shows hoover running solo out of the draft passing two 99's around the oval.

Just for frame of reference, nothing more.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

quote:
Originally posted by Monkeywrench:
What did an "ECU check" entail?

to be honest im not exactly sure, they asked for the ecu's and took them into the tech trailer. so what was actually done im not sure. The cars that had ecus inspected were car #'s
30 and i believe 68

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

9.0-9.1 borderline should have passed.
with 9.0 being the spec and the whistler tolerance.

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

cert24 Verified Driver

Yep, if it was borderline it would have passed. It wasn't .

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just to add a little bit of history, 1+ year ago, our club hand their hands on the Whistler and brought it to an event at Willowsprings Raceway. The regional tech tried to check the top finishers. The 2 Christian, mine, Hoover, and Valafar cars were whistled. Hoover's car were close to the limit. Valafar's car blew right at the limit. The 2 Christian cars and mine blew consistently 1 point below the limit (no wonder we got smoked).

Fast forward to this past weekend. The Club apparently dusted off the Whistler and the National Tech crew was out here to help. Mine was the last to be Whistled and so I had plenty of time to stand around and watch. Although a friend of Hoover was standing in front, I did see Hoover blew a number higher than stated. He was still turning the motor when I didn't want to watch anymore and just walked away. What was the final number, I have no idea.

I understand some cars are more well prepped than others. I just wish they are all compliant so we can all have fun racing together. Isn't that the whole point?

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, that video is pretty damning...

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by CLee:
The 2 Christian, mine, Hoover, and Valafar cars were whistled. Hoover's car were close to the limit. Valafar's car blew right at the limit. The 2 Christian cars and mine blew consistently 1 point below the limit (no wonder we got smoked).

Clemment
.1 low or 1.0 low?

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Robert Edmison Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"Bring out zee gimp!"     - Max Mosley

Region: CSCC
Car #: 55
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Robert Edmison   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:

Either that or tight corner entry coupled with massive lock-up and slow corner exit is the key to wicked straight-away speeds. [thumbsup]

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Edmison:
quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:

Either that or tight corner entry coupled with massive lock-up and slow corner exit is the key to wicked straight-away speeds. [thumbsup]
There's hope for me after all...

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You look pretty good in the braking zones Jonathan. You definitely make up most of the gaps there.

Are you willing to share a few unedited full laps from this past weekend or any other? You definitely have a good handle at that track.

[ 01-28-2009, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Sean Allen ]

CLee

Region: Southern California
Car #: 33
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CLee   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CLee:
The 2 Christian, mine, Hoover, and Valafar cars were whistled. Hoover's car were close to the limit. Valafar's car blew right at the limit. The 2 Christian cars and mine blew consistently 1 point below the limit (no wonder we got smoked).

Clemment
.1 low or 1.0 low?

It was about 1.0 low. Instead of say 9.5, it read 8.5. Obviously, that was the first time local tech used that equipment and was not quite sure how to operate it fully...

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Out of curiosity,

If a driver runs two classes or say runs a double national/regional and is dq'ed on the second day, are they dq'ed from all races, or just that particular one?

--------------------
-Bob Adams

A. Christian

Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for A. Christian     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

9.3 is what I saw, even creeping to 9.4 once. the third cylinder was even double checked. Sorry to invade your personal space while they were running the test, but you were welcome to see all the other car since we have nothing to hide.

I started behind Mr. Motor and gave him absolutely no room to jump the start. (my bumper was literally scuffing his paint at the start) He hopped out of a 4 car draft and went from 7th? to 2nd by the first turn.

Sorry you lost what could have been your 1st national win over something so foolish. Hope your able to get the car sorted out and back to legal spec again so we can really have a true race.

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Per the video: Where do we get one of those "push to Pass Buttons" because it appears to come in handy when you screw up a corner and have to pass.

I screw up alot of corners, so ill need alot more Push to pass allowances.

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

SMGT Verified Driver

Region: South Pacfic
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SMGT     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dam that's what my car is missing - a "Push to Pass Button" Just think, I can screw up every corner and still win!

taylorf Verified Driver

Region: Houston
Car #: 51
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taylorf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:
Originally posted by trimless1:
No Blake, I can assure you not all 94's are that fast.

Thats not what I heard [Wink]
Thats not what I saw! [nope]

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

Angela Swan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA SoCal and CalClub
Car #: 87
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Angela Swan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think Mr. Motor was just a little confused. GT cars were actually in Group 6 last weekend...

--------------------
Angela Swan

Jeremy Pike

Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How much of an advantage would say +0.5 compression give?

Ara Verified Driver Series Champ
MX-5 CUP and SM Peddler

Car #: 11,33
Year : 99,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ara   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Pike:
How much of an advantage would say +0.5 compression give?

Assuming that the compression accounts for the car's performance and judging by the video, I would say it is enough of an advantage to win regardless of driving style. [Wink]

But seriously, that car looks like it had 10 HP on the camera car.

--------------------
www.alararacing.com

Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: