Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » June Srints Who's Fast? (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: June Srints Who's Fast?
pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

way to go Jimbo. You the man

pat and Shawn

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

nice job on creaming the faildozer under yellow, whomever that was...

-

someone please give him my card [Razz]

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to all three!

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Big Swerve Juan Pablo finally put it on the two kids who have been working him over this year. Great JOB my friend.
Now do something stupid in the paddock so we have something to laugh about, I am sorta bummed over Tom's incident.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Slim - King - Big Swerve - Juan Pablo -Dragyshnikov ... how many alias does Drago have ?
here's a new one :
June Sprints Champion
[thumbsup]
Carlos G.

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did it rain or where the times that far off. If no rain was it the r888 tires that slowed everyone down?

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

guest driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

and ...
[thumbsup] to mr andrew 'von' c
and [thumbsup] to Chip vanVurst who started DFL,
both ultra fast racers [yep]
Carlos G.

edit ; to include ;
[thumbsup] to Rich Wiese ... impressive 4th place only 6 sec back to the '99 podium ...
ya gotta be good to hang with the above crowd in a 1.6 at R America [yep]

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to all - great show!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***nice job on creaming the faildozer under yellow, whomever that was...***

That ^ would be a KID. & the SCCA wants to allow 15 year olds to race. NOT...........

Flame suit on.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim, congrats. You were unstoppable all weekend. Great job and a brilliant drive, one for the books. I'm proud to share the track with you. Thanks for the setup help but "now the car is garbage, put it back!!!" [Wink]

'Grats to MISTER Andrew "SDOM!" von c and Chip "where's my bumper?" V. I said out loud in the car "He's going to pass me and I'm not even mad about it" when I saw him appear in my rear view on the andretti straightaway. Sorry I wasn't able to help Chip move forward faster, I still have some work to do on my traffic skills. 43rd to 3rd is an achievement. [thumbsup] Honorable mention to Matt Reynolds, he drove a heck of a race his first time at the track in a situation that required him to drive as hard as he'd ever driven while also playing out the chess game. Good job dude.

The fact that nobody was flipped over or t-boned during the restart is a freakin' miracle. In-car from the top 8 cars could be made into a truly epic spec miata video. I passed with two in the grass more than once because that's just all the track that was available. It's fun looking back on it, but that restart behind all those SSC's was spooky.

I have the crane incident on my in-car, you can see it happen in my rearview up to about 1 second before impact. I don't know what came of it but I know the stewards were pretty hot about it. Not a good career move when the supps and driver's meetings mentioned similar behavior, especially with such a somber mood in the air after yesterday morning's tragedy. Racing is never a game, but at tracks like RA it is truly serious business what we're all risking out there.

1.6 vs. '99 was a good match. Unfortunately, I was behind more than one '99 most of the race and when two of them can hook up they can almost break the draft going up the hill and down the front straight despite my better exit from T14 due to lighter weight. I was much quicker than anyone I was around from T8 to Canada the few times I didn't have to lift to keep from punting someone, so a heads-up battle between a '99 and a 1.6 seemed pretty close. Labontie in his '94 was very fast too before he got the short end of the stick in traffic. If I was building a car for RA it'd be a '99, but that's mostly because I want a car that isn't so damn ugly and I want to join the cool kids club.

Thrash passed doing what he loves, but I can't help but feel heartache for what his family must be going through. Made it hard to look at my wife before the race. Everyone on the podium that I heard dedicated their accomplishments to his memory, I hope that gets back to the family.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

racinglawyer Verified Driver
Old Member

Region: NEPA
Car #: 0
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racinglawyer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rich.

What can you tell me about Thrash. Word here is that he may have had a medical problem before impact.Rumors have an ugly way of becoming the story as opposed to the truth. Any reliable info would be greatly apperciated.

I'm a SM driver from NE Pennsylvania and heard the bad news.

Have a Great day

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
Love "the commander" Mike Cefalo

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's the word around town although right now nothing has been confirmed.

Who the hell ran into the crane?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Mike Tesch Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Tesch   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by racinglawyer:
Rich.

What can you tell me about Thrash. Word here is that he may have had a medical problem before impact.Rumors have an ugly way of becoming the story as opposed to the truth. Any reliable info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a SM driver from NE Pennsylvania and heard the bad news.

Have a Great day

There was a meeting with Group 4 to inform them on what had happened. A friend of mine who drives in EP told me that they were informed that the throttle stuck open, and the driver was seen fighting the wheel until impact. They were told that the car experienced some type of 'seat' failure. The car was damaged badly as it was a hard impact to the side. The driver needed to be cut out of the car. A helicopter was dispatched, but was not used. This is what I was told after the meeting.

May God bless this man's family.

--------------------
"I've got 5 kids... here there are hundreds"

Mike Tesch
Go Time Racing LLC

Old Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for racinglawyer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dear Mike.

Thanks for the information. My heart goes out to the man's family.

Have a GREAT FATHER'S DAY.

All the best to you and your family.

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why did Chip start last? I thought he qualified 2nd?

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Todd,
Car #02 All times dissallowed both qualifyings for violation of GCR 9.1.8.C.1.D.2 per Chairman SOMs 09:31 (that's ignition timing)

results up on my laps: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1186498

wheel

Dennis Brown Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Indy
Car #: 55
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Brown     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to everyone for parts and advice. I was happy to see a checkered flag after the race, it was the first I had seen all weekend. The tow truck driver said I was excellent at being towed so I have that going for me. We believe that it was the battery and it was shorting out in hard lefts, but was fine all the other time. We tried everything thanks to Advance Autosports and Jeff Labounty.

See you at the next one where we are actually competitive.

Dennis

TSouth Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincinnati
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TSouth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:
How do you leave a decklid spoiler on the car?

Pat

It wasn't Stearns' fault. It was a rental.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Brown     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tim,

How bad is your car?

Dennis

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, where do I start? First, Thanks for all the well wishes and Congratulations.

Second, for all those who wondering about this 50lbs and slim jokes etc.. I'll explain.. After a few crappy races earlier this year and realizing I needed to drop some serious weight, primarily for health benefits but secretly to be more competitive in the race car... I set a few goals
1) Loose 50 lbs by the Sprints
2) compete at weight in my car
3) win the sprints

So I am happy to say I was down 53 lbs and 16 lbs under weight and managed to win the Sprints. I have been working on the car to assure I would have the horse to compete. I managed to be p1 every session but one, with pole, win and fastest lap of the weekend. I can only say I am elated. Far more than I really expected.

I tried a few things differently this year on setup. I really nailed it, been talking it over with JD for over a month... I figured we would end up changing it all back after session 1, but the car was spot on. I never turned a shock collar all weekend. It was the best handling car I have ever had at Road America. I will also say the R888 seemed slower there, but far better in the carousel and kink IMO.
As far as the race,I started P1 besides my Team mate Pat Sandlin. It seemed like like two separate races... The first three laps I felt really good and the car was great. I started to pull a gap, settle into a rhythm and actually remember thinking 10 more laps like this and its over. YEAH RIGHT! Then the full course caution.
From there it was a gum ball rally at best. It can best be described as two idiots ( Andrew and I) racing each other through bumper to bumper rush hour traffic with a cop trying to chase us down(Chip). It was crazy at times, Andrew is so friggin good, there was no losing him in traffic. I think he put the single most impressive pass on me that I have ever seen. He passed Labounty and I and one or two ss cars around the outside of the carousel in the marbles and never lifted... From that instant, I knew it was game on and he wasn't playing around [Eek!] I also knew this was going to be a LONG race. I downshifted and strapped in.. [Big Grin]
Andrew and I swapped the lead several times, mostly depending on traffic. I don't have the video as my car starting cutting out( battery shifted from the rumbles and grounded out) I thought my race was over, watching Andrew motor away a few times when my car was stumbling was no fun. It seemed to fix itself after a few laps, but I was afraid to get on the rumbles after that, so it slowed me anyway. In any event, I hope the Go racing video catches most of it, it was fun for sure.
I want to apologize publicly to Andrew, after the race it was brought to my attention that I passed him under the yellow in T5. It was so hectic, I certainly never saw the flag. Andrew was given the opportunity to protest and probably would have been handed the win and he declined. That speaks volumes about his character. [thumbsup]

Some other interesting facts... It was a mini geritol podium... All of us are 42 [help] It is funny that I go half way across the country and still finding myself racing the same guys from SE and Mid div races.. Andrew,Sandlin, VanVurst,Labounty,Weise,Reynolds etc [Big Grin]

One other thing that you won't see in any other class and what I love about SM so much! The three guys on the podium from three different teams, all went to dinner last night and laughed their asses off and had a great time, probably too good and my first real meal in months. I wonder how often that happens in other classes? Not many I bet. [scratchchin]

Tech was about four hours, we pulled head,intake,exhaust,restrictor,throttle body. The others pulled the same less the head and had starters and a few other things thrown at them as well.

I also would like to say that I love racing at Road America, the stewards there run a great event, they are tough, yet fair. The entire event always seems to go off smoothly. If you have never been, it is a must.

By the way, car is still for sale.. [Big Grin] It is still in trailer with head still off. The car has been on the front row of the Runoffs, pole of Sprints, won the Sprints and been torn down three separate times now. See the classifieds if you want a car that can win the Runoffs, not for sale after July 15 as I need a Runoffs car and time to prep it.

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

TSouth Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincinnati
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TSouth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Brown:
Tim,

How bad is your car?

Dennis

Not bad at all, would have been minimal if not for a quick release adapter that threads onto and set-screws to the stock steering shaft (no weld by design). It came loose upon impact with the other car. I don't think the unit is in production anymore for good reason. I can't imagine how bad things could have been had it came loose in 8.

Anyway it came loose, and I couldn't turn left and avoid the wall outside of five, after the senseless contact.

If you have one of these quick releases I suggest you remove it NOW. It came on my car, and my better judgment told me to remove it when I saw it. I didn't.

Great weekend though otherwise, very well ran IMO. Pure chaos after the restart with the SSC cars.

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim, congrats! Seriously. The win is sweet, but glad you're taking your health into consideration as well.

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Drago on the weight and the win! Your a good guy and its cool to see someone like yourself reach their goals.
See you soon,
JT

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

I thought the event was run well also. The only change is that someone has to step in and not put the SSC cars in front of 40 miatas. It is not fair to them or us. I understand the the GCR says that in a split start the group that has the fastest times which would have been T3 vs. miatas should start first. The problem is that it included 20 or so SSB and SSC cars and then after a yellow flag it was even more ridiculous. The stewards needed to use common sense which would have avoided many issues.

Dennis

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I see that Chip's Qualifying times were Dq'd for ignition timing issues...
Why were Pat Sandlins times tossed?

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1186498

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Old Member

Dear Drago.

It's nice to be humble in victory...many take the cocky approach. Sounds like you had a blast. Keep up the good work and the attitude...many of us love you for it.

Congratulations.

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
I see that Chip's Qualifying times were Dq'd for ignition timing issues...
Why were Pat Sandlins times tossed?

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1186498

I am 100% to blame for Pats DQ... As one shouting the loudest that you would be foolish to show up at a big race with an old restrictor plate... Well I guess I was that fool! We have a new plate for Pats car for sometime, it is actually still in my office, I assumed we had installed and obviously had not. Same as all the others, not manipulated at all, as delivered from Mazdaspeed, 41mm or less in multiple spots, but when slid on the go/no go gauge, you could see light and therefore his times were disallowed and new plate bought and installed
My apologies
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
Slim - King - Big Swerve - Juan Pablo -Dragyshnikov ... how many alias does Drago have ?
here's a new one :
June Sprints Champion
[thumbsup]
Carlos G.

I have a few more for him but, I'm sure he would not like me posting them here....

"Swerve" is the oldest and earned at the track.

BTW, his car is not for sale until after the NASA Championships in Salt Lake...... [Wink]

Congrats old friend, maybe we can start thinking out of the box on the other track setups?

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Jim on your win, weight loss, and meeting your goals. It sure is nice to have a weekend where everything comes together. [thumbsup]

Civic_Sista

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Civic_Sista     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rich:
Why do I have to do all the work?

Looks like the rain is going to hold off for us until after Q1. Should be a fun morning. 70+ cars on 4 miles is pretty dang busy considering the closing speeds we're talking about. I suspect some of the T3 cars will be rockin' along at ~135 mph before Canada corner and the best I could do yesterday without a draft was 116. Similarly, the SSC cars might as well be parked in the kink and carousel. Weeeeeeee

You be nice to those SSC cars! [Wink]
Sorry if I held anyone up yet again this race. After going 90 into the wall at the kink I was a little timid out there. I was glad that we got my car back together and out for the race. New tranny had to go in cause I cracked the housing because i hit so hard.
I have my 4 races in- see you at the runoffs (i'll be in my dads red civic- my car is for sale)
 -

Matt Reynolds

Region: Southwest
Car #: 74
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Reynolds     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
nice job on creaming the faildozer under yellow, whomever that was... /QUOTE]

[QUOTE]***nice job on creaming the faildozer under yellow, whomever that was...***

That ^ would be a KID. & the SCCA wants to allow 15 year olds to race. NOT...........

Flame suit on.

I normally don't post on this site and just keep to my own business but these two posts utterly disgust me.

1.) Do you even care if the kid is alright?
2.) I believe he is 16 not 15, but does his age matter? I have seen grown men step into a racecar and it is like they have put on their 5 year old glasses. The maturity level plummets.
3.) Publicically berating someone on a website with "witty" comments does not seem intelligent to me. Spec Miata and SCCA are a community of people with the same interest. It is embarrasing for the class to have such slander spoken about a fellow driver.

As for the driver of the car, do not listen to someone who sits in front of a computer on this website longer than he has spent on a racetrack.

Drago, Congrats. You had it all weekend and were the victor in the traffic race.

--------------------
Reynolds Brothers Racing/Prodigy Motorsports/Race Engineering/Carbotech Brakes

J.D.

I agree Matt, folks hit equipment In Indy car down. I remember Mario taking out a worker and the crane while it was trying to get Michael out of gravel, under full course yellow. SH&% happens, nothing to do with age.

What we can control is our own actions, as in posting BS on this site....... We need kids in the sport, lots of them, not just grumpy old men in 50 year old cars......

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Reynolds:
quote:
nice job on creaming the faildozer under yellow, whomever that was... /QUOTE]

[QUOTE]***nice job on creaming the faildozer under yellow, whomever that was...***

Flame suit on.

I normally don't post on this site and just keep to my own business but these two posts utterly disgust me.

1.) Do you even care if the kid is alright?
2.) I believe he is 16 not 15, but does his age matter? I have seen grown men step into a racecar and it is like they have put on their 5 year old glasses. The maturity level plummets.
3.) Publicically berating someone on a website with "witty" comments does not seem intelligent to me. Spec Miata and SCCA are a community of people with the same interest. It is embarrasing for the class to have such slander spoken about a fellow driver.

As for the driver of the car, do not listen to someone who sits in front of a computer on this website longer than he has spent on a racetrack.

Drago, Congrats. You had it all weekend and were the victor in the traffic race.

im not sure why you would defend the actions of someone who doesnt control their car under a yellow flag. There really isn't an excuse for it, there's no reason safety should ever be at risk...

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:

1) Loose 50 lbs by the Sprints
I was down 53 lbs and 16 lbs under weight and managed to win the Sprints.
Jim

I think that's pretty impressive on its own. w2go!

--------------------

quote:

Good advice. Please make sure to keep driving over your head, it will lend you great success in the years to come.

--------------------

Charlie James Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Team SafeRacer

Region: Neokla
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie James   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We just want to congratulate Jim on his great performance at the Sprints and even more importantly on his weight loss. Those were 3 impressive goals to get accomplished.

2 wins and a 2nd place at the last 3 Sprints kinda puts the "Favorite" tag on you for the Runoffs [Big Grin]

Congrats to Andrew, Chip, Rich and the rest as well, glad to hear it was a safe race.

--------------------
www.SafeRacer.com
"Life is short, Eternity is forever"

Matt Reynolds

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Reynolds     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am not defending the actions of the driver. I am defending the driver himself. Show some class and respect for a fellow driver. One who shares an interest with all of us.

--------------------

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats, Slim Prego! If you keep losing weight people are gonna confuse you for Fowler!!

You put so much effort into this sport -- not just your own racing -- that you are truly deserving of the great results!

Steve D.

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***& the SCCA wants to allow 15 year olds to race. NOT...........***

Mr. Reynolds, I for one did not suggest the kid was 15 years old. The current rules say a person shall be 16 years old. The SCCA has asked for input on 15 year olds being allowed to race within the SCCA.

***do not listen to someone who sits in front of a computer on this website longer than he has spent on a racetrack.***

Mr. Reynolds, if this statement ^ is aimed at me maybe you should deal in some facts.

Mr. Reynolds and Mr. Daniels, I respect both of your capabilitise preping & racing cars but that does not mean I need to respect your thoughts about people crashing after a local yellow is displayed.

When a car is involved in an incident after said car has passed the incident under local yellow at least ONE time there is NO excuse (16 or 60 years old, Mario or AJ) for another incident at the same spot while the the yellow is shown.

Lets go back a couple years ago at Blackhawk Farms. There was an accident comming off the first turn with a couple SRF off drivers right. After several full course yellow laps & while the full course yellow continued to be displayed another SRF crashed into the first scene creating a helocopter removal of a safety worker. IIRC the safety worker lost one or both legs. Would either of you like to tell the loved ones face to face that under full course yellow you were the person that caused this safety person to loose their leg.

Yes, I know who owns this site.

EDIT:

***not just grumpy old men in 50 year old cars......***

Jim, I may be grumpy, yes I am mature & I have never raced a 50 year old car.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

quote:
I am not defending the actions of the driver. I am defending the driver himself. Show some class and respect for a fellow driver. One who shares an interest with all of us.

I am interested in putting my car on the trailer in much the same condition as it left, but above that, the safety of the people that don't get paid for a really stupid stupid job... so in that respect we certainly don't share interests.

--------------------

dewey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: 083 Central Florida Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dewey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Jimmy!!!

--------------------
deweyrx7@aol.com

J.D.

quote:
Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
***& the SCCA wants to allow 15 year olds to race. NOT...........***

Mr. Reynolds, I for one did not suggest the kid was 15 years old. The current rules say a person shall be 16 years old. The SCCA has asked for input on 15 year olds being allowed to race within the SCCA.

***do not listen to someone who sits in front of a computer on this website longer than he has spent on a racetrack.***

Mr. Reynolds, if this statement ^ is aimed at me maybe you should deal in some facts.

Mr. Reynolds and Mr. Daniels, I respect both of your capabilitise preping & racing cars but that does not mean I need to respect your thoughts about people crashing after a local yellow is displayed.

When a car is involved in an incident after said car has passed the incident under local yellow at least ONE time there is NO excuse (16 or 60 years old, Mario or AJ) for another incident at the same spot while the the yellow is shown.

Lets go back a couple years ago at Blackhawk Farms. There was an accident comming off the first turn with a couple SRF off drivers right. After several full course yellow laps & while the full course yellow continued to be displayed another SRF crashed into the first scene creating a helocopter removal of a safety worker. IIRC the safety worker lost one or both legs. Would either of you like to tell the loved ones face to face that under full course yellow you were the person that caused this safety person to loose their leg.

Yes, I know who owns this site.

EDIT:

***not just grumpy old men in 50 year old cars......***

Jim, I may be grumpy, yes I am mature & I have never raced a 50 year old car.

Guumpy/50 was not meant to be you, was a very old pun going on at this site. My point is, does not matter the skill level or age, accidents do happen to us all. Dont care if you respect my position, do care that you flame at my site.

Leave the flames to other sites, there are lots that would welcome it.

This is a fairly common theme from me.....

guest driver

quote:
Originally posted by dewey:
Congrats Jimmy!!!

Hey el Guapo ... can you beleive it ? you taught him how to drive Sebring a few year ago, now,
he has the friggin track record there and then goes off and wins the June Sprints ...
how/where you been lately ?
Carlos G.

MegaModerator

Carlos,
That big SOB may still be the fastest sm driver over 275 lbs.:0 and he absolutely did teach me how to get around Sebring. I miss him as well, certainly always a fun weekend when DEEEEEEEEEWEY was around.

Thanks Dew and all the others
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

lukerussell

Car #: 63
Year : '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for lukerussell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

found some video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo4XFY3kZFI

two clips of the spec miata race, from turn 5.

thanks to Jeff at Autotechnik this weekend. i've never been in spec miata until this weekend, and he sets me up for a 7th place finish. going from 19th to 7th was fun. too bad i was in 5th with a lap to go. doh. good times. and everyone i met was a class act and very helpful.

luke

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Boys I am a grumpy 50 year old. I don't own the site (but have been in and out of SMs longer than everybody but Shannon.)
I have hit most everything except the crane.
Yeah it is a dumb thing to do, but WE ALL have done dumb things in our racecars. Layoff the "mean type posts" on the subject. I am sure the KID has gotten the lesson that we all have learned through the years. He has some talent and can be a top driver. Instead of using this site as a whipping post, it would be nice to see it used as a learning tool. I know one thing a guy that hits a crane is very unlikely to ever hit any safety vehicles again.....hell the law of averages say so. Beav if you are following this and I hope you aren't, be safe and then be fast.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by IPRESS:
Boys I am a grumpy 50 year old. I don't own the site (but have been in and out of SMs longer than everybody but Shannon.)
I have hit most everything except the crane.
Yeah it is a dumb thing to do, but WE ALL have done dumb things in our racecars. Layoff the "mean type posts" on the subject. I am sure the KID has gotten the lesson that we all have learned through the years. He has some talent and can be a top driver. Instead of using this site as a whipping post, it would be nice to see it used as a learning tool. I know one thing a guy that hits a crane is very unlikely to ever hit any safety vehicles again.....hell the law of averages say so. Beav if you are following this and I hope you aren't, be safe and then be fast.

Good post Mac. BTW, you are 50? I must only be 25 and the last decade just flew by, lol! [Big Grin]

But back on topic, I have driven with the kid since he was 12 or 13. Lot's of talent and good gear. One lesson that anyone that wants to head up the ranks needs to learn is you have to bring the car home. If you wad it up you are done. Not a good thing. That said, I have a very good and talented friend that is way north of 50 and managed to spin on an out lap at HPT a decade back. He felt like a total D bag after he did it and I still get to make fun of him for it which is great btw.

Moving on. The lesson we all need to learn is that you can not switch off or go into coast mode when the race is over or you are under full course caution. I can think of several times I almost lost the car after the race on the cool down lap. You are going through a corner where 90 on exit is the the limit and you go flying through on the cool down at 85 and it feels slow till you realize you spent too much time waving at the workers and oh shit where is the track out. Get off line and you have marbles and all kinds of bad stuff that will bite you real quick.

Just being honest here. We all make mistakes. I would hope to put myself in the live another day camp by learning from them. Hope everyone involved got that lesson. Law of averages or not, it will catch up with you. Drive smart and keep your brain turned on till that heap is parked in the paddock and someone offers you a cold beer...

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Matt Reynolds

Luke, if that was you in the blue number 10. You put up a good fight all the way to the end of the last lap. Great driving

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
Moving on. The lesson we all need to learn is that you can not switch off or go into coast mode when the race is over or you are under full course caution. I can think of several times I almost lost the car after the race on the cool down lap. You are going through a corner where 90 on exit is the the limit and you go flying through on the cool down at 85 and it feels slow till you realize you spent too much time waving at the workers and oh shit where is the track out. Get off line and you have marbles and all kinds of bad stuff that will bite you real quick.

CASEY - I'm 51 years old, definitely not grumpy, but for sure I am as dumb as any 15 year old! Been there and done PRECISELY that - kissed the tire wall in Steve DeVinney's 1.6 at Turn 1 Road Atlanta on a cool down lap after qualifying. Was pying too much attention to my rear view mirrors concerened about not slowing another car on a flyer. Went through a 90mph corner at 80mph off line - and gee it bit me hard - DOH!

We all get to make dumb mistakes - hopefully we do them only once!! Doesnt feel nice driving back to pits to hand your buddy back a wadded car and saying OOPS!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

7 drivers kept right on driving through the red flag in the first ECR at Daytona in May while a car was on fire....I am sure they were not all 16 years old. We all need to pay attention to the corner stations and the flags displayed. The reason they all hold a yellow flag on the pace lap is so we know where they are located. They key is not repeating the mistakes we make.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: