Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Tom Thrash

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Tom Thrash
J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thoughts and prayers are with the family of Tom Thrash. EP champion in a Mazda RX7 and great guy. Tom lost his life in a crash at turn 8 this morning qualifying for the Sprints.

Remember what is important in your life and never forget the danger of this sport.

Godspeed!

[ 06-20-2009, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Blake Clements ]

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Damn, I guess this makes it official. Sad [Frown]

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can't say enough nice things about Tom. He was the kind of guy that any day at the track was a good day and normally had a smile on his face. I always enjoyed talking to Tom and his genuine interest in my racing will always be appreciated.

Godspeed Tom! Win one up there for the Mazda family.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very sad news. Tom Thrash was a great racer and a nice guy, and always fast.
Jim

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

rumors from worker reports is that he was slumpped over the wheel before the corner and did not do much to negotiate the turn.

I attended another racers final turn yesterday, his team/name sticker on the Urn.

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Details here:
http://scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=3668

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TillerTech:
rumors from worker reports is that he was slumpped over the wheel before the corner and did not do much to negotiate the turn.

I attended another racers final turn yesterday, his team/name sticker on the Urn.

implying natural causes?

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Thompson:
quote:
Originally posted by TillerTech:

implying natural causes?
That's how I read the article.

Condolences to his family and friends.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

he was certainly one of the really good guys.

RIP Tom...

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dang, I raced against him and his daddy. Great guy.
Sad day.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is so sad. Tom was a good guy and fellow Mazda racer. RIP.

db

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My condolaces to his family and friends. I didn't know him, but it is always a sad day when we loose another racer.

However he was doing something he loved when he died. Thats all I can ask for.

Have a great day,
Jared

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RIP Tom.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

taylorf Verified Driver

Region: Houston
Car #: 51
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taylorf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sad day.

Tom was a great guy.

I am happy I was able to call him a friend. You will be missed.

Godspeed Tom.

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kenny & I were observing the Production qualifying through the carousel/enter the kink from above. The yellow showed & we observer a wrecker with lights flashing at T 8. We went to the far side to see that the 67 car was tires to the tire wall drivers side down. From on site observations a very sad story unfolded to very heavy hearts.

Tom and I met in 02 at Mid Ohio when Tom was taking the Mid Ohio driver instruction course in preperation for the Runoffs. Tom started his SCCA racing career in his home state of Texas racing a Spec 7. Because I was racing a Spec 7 at the time Tom looked me up at the track, offered some tips on the track and gave me a copy of the drivers course instruction manual which I have to this day.

Tom was super busy doing prep work on Friday but took time for a friendly smile and a few words.

Tom is a true gentleman, always willing and he will be greatly missed.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Godspeed. My thoughts and prayers are with Tom's family. There is a better place...

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

taake1201 Verified Driver
Bankrupt Racer

Region: Houston (SOWDIV)
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taake1201     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A very sad day indeed.

--------------------
Steve Taake
#5 SSB Mazda MX-5
Miatacage.Com/Mazdaspeed/Hoosier/Carbotech/Summit Racing/Pro Am Auto Accessories

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Region: WDC/ Houston
Car #: 33
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by taake1201:
A very sad day indeed.

He left us good memories.
I think your dad knows him too Steve. Maybe from autocross? Tom would sometimes show up in his 7.

--------------------
Randy Ramos

http://WWW.MeatheadRacing.com

Mike Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mentally Retired

Region: NASA TX
Car #: 16
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very sad news indeed, Godspeed Tom.

--------------------
Mike Bell
http://www.bns-racing.com/sm.jpg

blitzgt3

Region: OVR
Car #: 52
Icon 1 posted  Profile for blitzgt3   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I heard about Tomís passing on Saturday while I was at Mid-Ohio spectating the Grand-Am. It absolutely took my breath away. I immediately began walking the inner circumference of the track with tears in my eyes. I had a deep respect for Tom as both a driver and a person. Thank god my ďangles in whiteĒ were there for me again. I took it a lot harder than I let on. At the 2006 Runoffs Tom was giving me a very hard time because I did not have a Hans yet. He was adamant about it and didnít let up. He did this because he cared about me. Needless to say I was stupid enough to continue putting money in the new car and did not buy a Hans. I wrecked that car a year ago and almost died from a head trauma. I still canít believe that I will race another day and Tom wonít. Itís not fair and brings me to tears. Godspeed Tom. You will not be forgotten

--------------------
Almost Spec-GT-3 Miata-www.northcoastsportscars.com

Jason Saini Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Saini   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom was truly one of the good guys, and such a longtime member of our Mazda family. He was so passionate about our sport, and his energy boiled over to everyone who spent time around him. Saturday was a sad day for us all, and I was a bit disappointed to see the podium champagne sprayed that day at all..

To Tom's family and closest friends... our thoughts are with you.

--------------------
-Jason Saini :: Fort Worth, TX
-Team MER :: 2007 MX-5 Cup Champion
-2008 SPEED TC Rookie of the Year!
-Based at Motorsport Ranch
-Autobarn Mazda . SafeRACER

EV Worker

Region: DMVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EV Worker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just found out. Tom was a great guy and will be missed.

My thoughts are with his family. And the corner workers and the EV crew that worked the incident.

Kris Mandt - DMVR EV

--------------------
Kris Mandt - DMVR EV, F&C and Tech

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is heavy on the heart to read. If you fly a flag draw it to halfmast...bless

EV Worker

Region: DMVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EV Worker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anybody have an address for the family? I want to at least send a card.

Kris Mandt - DMVR EV

--------------------
Kris Mandt - DMVR EV, F&C and Tech

johnh23

Region: central nj
Car #: under construction
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for johnh23     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Its sad when any fellow racer dies doing what they love to do I didnt know him but my prayers are with his family.

Godspeed Tom

Mike Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mentally Retired

Region: NASA TX
Car #: 16
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From the Sowdivscca Forum website:

In lieu of flowers, please make donations to:

R.B. Thieme Jr. Bible Ministries
PO Box 460829
Houston, TX 77056-8829

http://www.rbthieme.org

Taken from here:
http://forums.sowdivscca.org/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2941

--------------------
Mike Bell
http://www.bns-racing.com/sm.jpg

Shawn@sampsonracing.com Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA/SoCal
Car #: 2
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shawn@sampsonracing.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Would seem to me Tom went sliding right through that gravel trap and up to Saint Pete at the gates saying, "WOW what a ride, whens the next race!"

Thanks Tom for your help over the years - Hope that the new tracks are a ton of fun! God Speed-

--------------------
Shawn Sampson/Sampson Racing Communications
Offical NASA Racing Communication Company
NASA SM/PTE/E3
2005- 1st Place EO 25 Hour Enduro NASA 86' Mazda Rx7 (RIP)
http://www.SampsonRacing.com
http://www.SRCProducts.com
Toll Free -866-396-7231

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 45
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got my issue of Sportscar today and read the article with very mixed emotions.

Anyway, this was on one of the production boards for those of you who might be interested.

http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10630&start=20

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: