Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Two car open deck trailer

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Two car open deck trailer
decook1110

Icon 1 posted  Profile for decook1110     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm curious how many people would be interested in a light, small, and inexpensive two car open deck trailer.

It would cost around $8700, weigh 8000# loaded with two cars, 4 sets of tires, and around 600 pounds of tools and parts in locked storage.

It would have an angled deck and long ramps so loading would be easy. The load deck would only be 4" wider than a Miata so you could see around it in the mirrors of a typical SUV or Van. All that would stick out sideways past the tow vehicle would be the fenders. At 8000# you could tow it with a newer 1/2 ton truck, but a 3/4 would be better.

For the cost of a better open deck trailer you get a co-driver in the tow vehicle, twice the gas milage towing, one less tow vehicle to buy and insure, one less tow vehicle and trailer to store.

It won't have the drag, weight and wind gust sensitivity of an enclosed trailer big enough to do the same job. You won't need a 5th wheel and 1 ton truck. Tieing down the cars is easy because you can get to them.

Thoughts??

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great trailer Dave. Now if only you could keep the Suburban running. [duck]

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Narrow width is a problem. Buying narrow axles is more costly. A narrow trailers' resale market would be limited because you couldn't get a full size car on it. Wind drag would be minimal between widths.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

decook1110

Icon 1 posted  Profile for decook1110     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I see your point on narrow width and resale value, but resale value on this would be to another racer carrying two small cars, my idea is that a slightly more expensive trailer is justified by the savings of not investing in a second trailer and tow vehicle, plus gas, insurance, storage and maintenance for the second trailer and tow vehicle.

The customer I picture for one of these is a racer with a crew member who'd like to get into racing and can afford it,but doesn't have the space at the apartment or condo for the support vehicle and trailer. One trailer upgrade like this with another racer and they are both at the track

The narrow width makes it easy to see around when towing, easier to park in places. If it wasn't limited to small cars it would have to be a higher capacity trailer. There are other multicar trailers out there, some might even be cheaper, but they are most likely heavier, wider, don't have enclosed storage capacity, have loading issues getting on and off, and may need a bigger tow vehicle.

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave, I think a pic or two may get your point across.
Folks, I have seen this trailer and it really seems to work well.

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm interested. I'm soon going to have a spec miata and an LS1 miata race car that I'll want to take to the track together and don't have the room for an long-ass enclosed trailer.

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Seems like it would be shorter, lighter and cheaper to rig a way for one car to be partially atop the other. Using hydraulics would get that done.

That'd make it come in handy for undercarriage work too, provided it was safe.

Did you explore designing a trailer that lifts one of the cars?

I like the idea of consolidating equipment and the carbon footprint, while minimizing overall expenses.

racerfink Verified Driver
Gig 'em Aggies

Region: Central Florida Region
Car #: 111
Year : '90 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racerfink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There's a guy here in Cen. Fl. Region that runs exactly what you're talking about for he and his wife's SM's. It has hydraulics that lift the top ramp up in place. I'll see if I can get him to post some pics of it.

--------------------
'90 Spec Miata
'90 Street Miata
'96 Chevy 1500
http://www.AutoTechnikRacing.com
www.myspace.com/projecthband

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought for some reason that the proposed trailer design was a stacker. I can't use a two car trailer that is as long as two cars.

Sorry.

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Swede's double stack trailer is built out of aluminum and uses a nice hydraulic ram system to lower the upper trailer.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Have any pics of Swede's trailer? That sounds awesome and pricey.

decook1110

Pictures of the prototype are here http://www.paradigmmotorsports.com/trailers.html

I'm considering building 3 more units, that's why I'm trying to see how interested people on the forum are in this concept. I'm also trying to sell the prototype pretty cheap to someone who could use it over the winter.

The numbers on the website are a little off, this trailer weighs 3080# empty, next one will be around 2700#. Two Miatas on this trailer will hit 7300# leaving you 900# for tires and gear to hit a tongue weight of 1200#.

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just a note to the OP, this might also be something good for you to market to the SRF guys as well. Their cars actually have the same footprint as the SM does.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

900 lbs is not alot of gear. two sets of rains and a couple of spare tires is almost 500lbs.

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

decook1110

Just measured one of my Miata wheels, its 32# shaved low. 4 complete sets would be 512#, call it 540 with more weight thrown in for the treaded rain tires. That leaves you with 360 pounds of tools and spares on the prototype trailer (that is why its cheap, you'll have to put some stuff in the tow vehicle). The newer trailers will be at least 300# lighter so that figure will go up to over 600# of gear in the enclosed storage.

That is why this is specifically a light racecar trailer and aimed specifically at SM right now, axles jump in size, weight and cost at 3500#. The goal here is the most towing/storage for the least amount of money, size and tow vehicle capacity. A simple trailer with a pair of 3500# axles limits us to 7000# on the axles and weight distribution kits are good to 1200# tongue weight. Maybe 3 axles are needed, but then you are paying an extra $600 plus maintenance for an axle you may not need if you don't need more than 600# in the storage area.

If and when we decide to step up to carrying two A-sedans or Corvette size cars, the trailer gets wider/longer and a pair of 5000# axles or a third 3500# axle. It also gets more expensive and heavier.

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got a 32' deck 3 axle tag trailer I bought several years ago for $4,000. These days eBay has a plethora of 28-36' 2 and 3 axle trailers for under $5k with 7k axles, LEDs, etc., etc. There is a market for such a size trailer, but I'm not sure at that price.

FWIW when I was shopping for mine 5-6 years ago most new 28'+ trailers were in the 8-10k range.

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I built a 2 Miata trailer last year here at the school. I use it every week, the deck is 25 feet long and i think 70" wide total with tongue is around 40. It weighs 1600lbs alone. With two cars around 6200, I pull it with a 05- F150. Pulls like my single car trailer at 70mph. I bought a trailer kit from a place in Texas for $900, which included everything except the frame. I picked up a set of trailer plans for a 20 on line for $30 and added to it. Total cost with LED lighting was $1600. DMV fees here in Cali was $55.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

decook1110

All valid points, there are several groups of trailer buyers and a large group might be people that buy the cheapest trailer and put the extra money in the car or going somewhere. Some guys are really handy and like building custom things for problems like this, that is where Shop Teacher and I started. But I think there are also a lot of people who would go the middle way and don't have the time/skill to build one and would pay a little more for a light simple trailer that works very well for the application. I see new aluminum single car trailers advertised for $4800, and people are buying plenty of these, and that's without any storage on the trailer.

Chris's three axle tag was cheaper to buy, but its wide and heavy. Most likely 82 inches wide at the deck instead of 70" and probably sturdy enough to carry two F-150s. A trailer with 3 7000# axles carrying two 2150# cars is pretty stiffly sprung, but the cars probably don't care.

Shop Teacher, you probably ought to sketch up some plans and sell them for beer money. Have you had many people make similar ones? Is it 25' with a 15' tongue, total of 40'?? Weight sounds very light, my goal is to get down to 2350# for the Miata version, but that is with tire racks and all the locked storage.

What both trailers probably don't have (I could be wrong) is the locked storage. This trailer has 6 locking doors and 95 cubic feet of storage. For reference a Tahoe has 108 cubic feet, floor to ceiling with the back seats down. The trailer does it with more doors and floor footage so most stuff is easier to get to. You also don't have to empty this stuff out of the tow vehicle after the race because its locked away in the trailer.

This is still about seeing how many people are interested in the idea, not looking so promising at the moment. The prototype is currently advertised at $5400 with the weight distribution hitch included.

Swede

Region: 83
Car #: 73
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Swede     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just got back from the ARRC.
I'll post a few pics and specs this week for inquiring minds.
Eric

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Swede's trailer is about the coolest thing I've ever seen. He tows it behind his RV or truck. The thing even holds a golf cart sideways at the rear. He's one hell of a fabricator and a pretty good driver thats for sure. [Smile]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is a picture of the trailer i built for around $1500

-

http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv267/Shop-Teacher...w¤t=2cartrailer.jpg

[ 11-10-2009, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Shop Teacher ]

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-

[ 11-10-2009, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Johnny D ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: