Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Containment seat suggestions

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Containment seat suggestions
jensen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jensen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am thinking of upgrading my UltraShield SM seat to a full-containment, Hans compatable seat. Any suggestions to a model for ease of installation and comfort...

--------------------
Matt Jensen
SCCA SM Cen-Div
MC NASA 68

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Region: NER
Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We love the Racetech stuff. We also won't put any aluminum in our cars either. Seen 3 of them bend in high impact crashes. FIA only for us.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jensen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Andy. By chance do FIA seats need roll bar back brace?

--------------------
Matt Jensen
SCCA SM Cen-Div
MC NASA 68

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver

Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They do not. Another plus IMHO.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FIA seats need to flex and therefore do not need a back brace. They do however need to be mounted in the exact way they were tested to achieve the FIA rating.

db

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use a made to measure full containment aluminum seat. This is a high end piece from Butler Built. This is the same type of seat Ryan Newman had in yesterdays big nascar crash. A lot of nascar guys use them. The one I use is road racing specific and works with both of my head and neck restraint devices ( I have a HANS and now wear a DEFENDER). I found that as a taller person the off the shelf "FIA" seats did not fit me properly.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The problem with FIA seats is that they require very strong mounts, something that is hard to achieve in a Miata with its tin-can floor. Without a brace high on the seat back, the leveraged loads on the floor are extreme. With at least 50% of one's body mass located above the waist and a 180# driver, a 10G hit is 900 pounds of force that is multiplied by a 2 to 3 foot lever against a pair of 5/16" bolts and 3 inch washers under a 22G floor pan. Do we really believe the floor can take that? The back brace helps a bit in rear impacts, but usually does little in lateral hits.

Most back braces are a joke and only serve to meet the GCR, but there is one cage builder here in Texas who builds the back brace to provide major support in every dimension.

I'm struggling what to do with my seat in the off-season to find greater safety. I've just become too aware of FIA seats pulling through the factory floor letting the driver escape the belts and aluminum seats deforming under impact loads which can also let you out of the belts or injure you.

The Kirkey 53 and 69 series seats look very strong and have mountings that touch the car in several places, but I'm not sure they could be made to fit.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ultrashield Road Race Halo here with no complaints. I also have a beefed up back brace mount to the cage.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
I use a made to measure full containment aluminum seat. This is a high end piece from Butler Built. This is the same type of seat Ryan Newman had in yesterdays big nascar crash. A lot of nascar guys use them. The one I use is road racing specific and works with both of my head and neck restraint devices ( I have a HANS and now wear a DEFENDER). I found that as a taller person the off the shelf "FIA" seats did not fit me properly.

There are a couple of differences the NASCAR seats can do over the seat you have. The biggest and very significant is that there is a substantial seat insert poured for the driver that adds about 4 inches to the width of the seat and an extra couple inches to the overall height when you are sitting in it.

Other smaller things are extensions for legs and other things that aren't feasible in an SM

Ara Verified Driver Series Champ
MX-5 CUP and SM Peddler

Region: SFR
Car #: 11,33
Year : 99,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ara   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We use Racetech seats PLUS cage-mounted brace in our MX-5 Cup cars. Only way to fly.

--------------------
www.alararacing.com

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ara:
We use Racetech seats PLUS cage-mounted brace in our MX-5 Cup cars. Only way to fly.

Those look very good, but I don't think I can get that into my 90 model...

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

I thought the Racetech seat would be a great seat, although I did not have any info if the seat would fit without chassis mods. One SM competitor had to modify the trans tunnel to get a specific Sparco to fit...

--------------------
Matt Jensen
SCCA SM Cen-Div
MC NASA 68

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nick Leverone at Flatout has fit a number of these in his builds. He did my seat and would know exactly what you need to fit one in a 1.6.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cooleyjb:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:

There are a couple of differences the NASCAR seats can do over the seat you have. The biggest and very significant is that there is a substantial seat insert poured for the driver that adds about 4 inches to the width of the seat and an extra couple inches to the overall height when you are sitting in it.

Other smaller things are extensions for legs and other things that aren't feasible in an SM

With the made to measure seat, I have those options but they are more Road Racing specific. My Halo is about 1/2 what a NASCAR halo is but considerably more than other seats. I have had this seat in 5 cars. We ALWAYS install the seat first then build the cage around the seat for mounting and MAXIMUM protection. With the size of this seat it is typically not something you can install as an afterthought.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: