Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Power Steering Conversion

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Power Steering Conversion
Bart

Region: NER
Car #: 28
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Getting ready to remove the power steering portions and have a few questions:

1. Can it be converted?

2. What needs to come or can come out?

3. Is it worth converting or should it just be replaced with a manual rack?

4. Is there really a difference between the two? (manual vs. converted)

I'll also be taking out the a/c at the same time (I've seen the post on that one).

Thanks!

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll start at the bottom and work up.

4) The converted power has a noticably quicker ratio than the manual.

3) YES. Converting it costs nothing if you loop the hoses. $15 for the plugs (available from somebody on this site) makes a cleaner look.

2) Remove the pump, resevoir, brackets, pressure line, return line and the cooler line. Do not remove the 2 small lines that run parrelel to the rack.

1) Yes, remove the parts above, turn steering wheel lock to lock several times to remove excess fluid. Install plugs. Forget about it.

My apology to people who sell the following service ahead of time, this is my oppinion

Do not "gut" the steering rack. I have seen 3 of these racks fail. All 3 had the same symptoms. A weird feeling on turn in and a clunk felt in the steering wheel. Turned out the rack (internal rack gear) bushing was allowing the rack to flex and then snapping back into position.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I removed every piece of the power steering system and then sold it all together on eBay. Then I used this money plus a little more to buy a brand new manual rack.

It has a slightly slower steering ratio, but I like the piece of mind knowing that it's all new stuff.

Bart

Region: NER
Car #: 28
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Which hoses get "looped" (is it the two that stay on the rack?

and does anyone know where I can find these plugs?

ralt12 Verified Driver

Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ralt12     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave at Advanced Auto has these.
http://advanced-autosports.com/prod07_ps_plugs.htm

Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Champ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ralt12:
Dave at Advanced Auto has these.
http://advanced-autosports.com/prod07_ps_plugs.htm

Do we have a new link as this one seems dead?

Paul

--------------------
'99 Miata (1.8l) purchased and dedicated to SM in '09

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Google advanced-autosports. You'll find it in the Spec Miata store and the sub-catagory has "steering" in it I belive.

The hoses you're looping or plugging are the ones that go in and out of the PS pump. The big hoses. You're just draining out most of the fluid and closing up the rack. Not much to it really.

I like my depowered rack. I drove a car with a manual rack recently though and really didn't notice the difference except getting in and out of our paddock.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

E-Speed Motorsports Verified Driver

Region: CCR/NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for E-Speed Motorsports     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This one will get you there

http://advanced-autosports.com/PROD03_suspension_steering.htm

--------------------
everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

E-Speed Motorsports
Race Engineering

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did just as suggested above, removed all the pump and hoses. I removed the two hoses from the pump going into the rack, turned the steering wheel lock to lock about 10 times to pump out extra fluid. It leaves just enough to lube the rack, it worked fine for me and way less work than replacing with a manual rack. I used the Advanced Auto Sport plugs.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: