Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Underdrive Alternator Pulley / SR Motorsports

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Underdrive Alternator Pulley / SR Motorsports
Ken Nesbit

Region: WDCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Nesbit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone know of an underdrive alternator pulley for the 1.6? I bought one from SR Motorsports but when I got it, it was the exact same dimensions of a stock one, not to mention they charged me $250 when it was listed for $199 on their web site. When I called and asked them about it they said the crank pulley that it needed was smaller (no mention of that in the ad). Then when I returned it they charged me $50 for a "restocking fee". Needless to say it's the last $50 they'll make off of me. Anyway, rant off, anyone know of an underdrive pulley out there anywhere?

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hoping this isn't for an SM as they are not legal.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Ken Nesbit

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Nesbit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Guess I should have clarified that, it's for an F-Prod car....given that it's not legal in SM the chances of getting an answer are growing dim...

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Would an underdrive pulley address the torque needs of the 1.6? Hadn't thought of that...

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken,

You may want to contact Rick Harris on this board or the Prather racing guys. They have a bunch of F Prod cars and would probably know.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken,

Mazdamotorsports has them, says they are Racing Beat parts, but they may be discontinued.

I also found this:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/UNO02081010x.htm

--------------------

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would search/post on Miata.net.

Ken Nesbit

Thanks Guys, I do talk to Jesse Prather quite a bit but as far as I know he doesn't know of one. Guess I should have also pointed out that I have found some but they require a smaller/different crank pulley. I run the Electromotive TEC-GT computer and have the trigger wheel on the pulley so the smaller front pulley wouldn't work for me. I've also heard that on the FP Miata you should not run the lighter/smaller ones....something about the harmonics being bad at higher RPM (run it to around 8,000).

Future Never Has Been

I too have heard the harmonic issue is bad. Your next option might be to have one custom machined for you. Or... consider that the alternator on our miatae is a fairly commonly used Hitachi unit. Might be alllll kinds of pulleys available for it.

--------------------

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Both the street guys and the Prod guys have found running without a dampner (aftermarket underdrive pulleys do not have them) will break you oil pump over time.

Machining a pulley should be a pretty easy and quick job for any decent machinist.

--------------------
-Bob Adams

Future Never Has Been

Oh... and it's a Mitsubishi IR/IF type, not a Hitachi. My bad... old Honda habits flaring up. The stock pulley is here:
http://www.waiglobal.com/products/partimage.cfm?wai_num=24-83102

--------------------

ExRoadRacer

Region: CSCC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ExRoadRacer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good-win and Miata.net for sure will have this answer.

modernbeat

Icon 1 posted  Profile for modernbeat     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I haven't been able to find a decent one for the '99 Alternator in my D-Prepared autocrosser. I've been speaking with CV Products and will be sending them a stock pulley so they can figure out what it will take to put one of their modular pulleys on my water pump and alternator. Unlike road racing, we don't run at high RPM for prolonged periods and oil pump failure is not as likely when we use a non-damped crank pulley. Just in case, I'm installing billet oil pump gears to replace the fragile stock gears.

Not SM related, sorry guys.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: