Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Oil life

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Oil life
skrzastek

Region: Blue Ridge Region
Car #: #91
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How often should I change the oil in my newly bought SM? I have been changing it after every weekend. Is that overkill?

--------------------
#91 SSM

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, overkill. With mobile1 5/30 I change it when I start to hear the lifters after a session, which is somewhere around 3 weekends. When I was breaking in the motor and using dyno oil, the lifters starting making noise after one weekend. Wonder what that means [Smile]

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We use Amsoil and change it once every season - whether it needs it or not.

YMMV

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use RP
I go by my step father/ mechanic rule of thumb. I look at the dipstick. when it looks dirty I change, now. not one more race, now. it works out to about 200 miles on my car, and the way I drive.

I change the other fluids about every other time.

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Amsoil 0-30 every three weekends with a 1% leak motor. If the motor has 3% leak with most of it on the ring side I would change it every 2 weekends. If it has +10% leak don't bother anymore its not worth trying to protect it anymore.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wait ... You mean I'm supposed to change the oil? No wonder...
Seriously though I have the same oil in the car for the last 4 years. Of course I only run the car once a year anymore. Its Mobil 1 and I'm not too worried.

db

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did 9 race weekends this year, and changed my oil (Mobil 1 10W-30) 5 times. There's no science in my method; it's just that I have the car up often enough that it's easy to change the oil every two weekends or so. I do a test day with about half the weekends, and I almost always do two classes.

My motor is very tight, and burns very little oil.

[ 10-27-2008, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Mark de Regt ]

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I change it after every race weekend. I use amsoil 10-30, also use the amsoil filter and change it with the oil. It's cheap insurance.

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the motor is tight as was mentioned above, changing every weekend or two is overkill. A lot of the guys I race with burn half a quart a weekend or close to that. If mine did that I would change oil all the time and rebuild. As is, I last changed my oil in May. I have seven weekends on it sense then. Three of them were just one day. The oil still looks clean and there is no gas smell on the dip stick. I have also added zero oil in that time. I think it all depends on the motor. Mine didn't really need it so why bother?

Do what you want or feel good about. Mobil 1 is working much better for me than dino did. I just don't think these motors need anything exotic.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

darmstrong Verified Driver

Region: sediv
Car #: 66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for darmstrong     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do you change the oil at the end of the season, and use it for the start next year, or leave whats in there, and change out before the start of the next season.

Dave

TexasHammer

Region: LoneStar
Car #: 02
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TexasHammer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Contrary to popular belief, you cannot tell what state your oil is in by looking, smelling, feeling, tasting, whatever. The only way to KNOW is to have it analyzed in a lab. Having said that, it is pretty cheap insurance. I change about every other race weekend and change the filter every other oil change. I have been running Mobil1 with their filter, but am thinking of trying the RP, as it is available at Walmart and only a few cents more expensive. [scratchchin]

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RP?

--------------------
Jerry

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Royal Purple.

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TexasHammer:
but am thinking of trying the RP, as it is available at Walmart and only a few cents more expensive. [scratchchin]

Royal Purple at Wal mart? Huh thats odd as its not available at the one around here. I buy my Mobil 1 for my MB and truck there, but have never seen the purple there.

db

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by skrzastek:
I have been changing it after every weekend. Is that overkill?

me too... two weekends tops...

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yeah, just change it every weekend. 40 bucks versus 8000 dollars makes pretty good sense.

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We want to see our customers change oil after every weekend.

Like Andrew said it's better to change it than not.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bob and Andrew are right. On my last engine I only changed the oil every 3 weekends and the cams and crank got scored up. On my new engine I change it every weekend and no problems.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Thornton - Race Engineering:

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

T.J. Kearney Verified Driver
Male Member

Region: Finger Lakes
Car #: 85
Icon 1 posted  Profile for T.J. Kearney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Has anyone touting changing every weekend done and engine oil analysis to prove the effectiveness is diminished in that short amount of time?

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by T.J. Kearney:
Has anyone touting changing every weekend done and engine oil analysis to prove the effectiveness is diminished in that short amount of time?

Data is not necessary! Remember, CHEAP INSURANCE! CHEAP INSURANCE! CHEAP INSURANCE! CHEAP INSURANCE! blah blah blah blah etc.

(My engines cost $150, so every third weekend is fine for me...)

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Someone had some data showing that changing oil too often is "worse" than changing it at the right time, based on the metal contained in the oil.

I guess thats how internet rumors start.

I don't know anyone who wrecked an engine with fresh oil though.

ExRoadRacer

Region: CSCC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ExRoadRacer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK,

So Oil... Sorry I am a major nerd and Dad is a Chemical Engineer with a oil company. Here's the technical take on Oil.

Oil is limited by a few major factors of which time/miles/temp and water pollution via condensation are the most significant.

IE. The miles it takes to "go through" the life span of your Oil is dependent on the temperatures that the oil experiences, as the hotter the Oil gets the faster it will Oxidize and therefore breakdown.

Now, the oxidation process is also influenced by miles. So if the Oil experiences normal temperatures (street driving) the very conservative 'median life expectancy' for Dino Juice is 3000 miles, more for Synthetics (as much as 10-20,000 miles).

However, a major factor in shortening the life expectancy of Oil is water. water pollution via condensation in the crank case should be a major concern to anyone who lives in a wet or very humid climate. Water contributes to the oil break down and a loss of efficiency. It is very important that in these climates that you follow the 3-6 month rule, allowing oil to only sit in a street car for a shorter amount of time instead of only relying on miles.

Here's the caveat. Long high speed drives improve the life expectancy of oil. What? Yes, it burns off the water and because the engine is running at steady temps in a breeze the temps are pretty steady and rarely "spike" like it would at say a traffic light or idling waiting for the Wife to re-check everything before you drive away. hehe

So, you get good life expectancy from Oil in track cars that maintain a steady Oil temperature. If your engine runs hotter than normal or you miss shifts on a regular basis, your Oil is tortured, and should be changed frequently. If you're a pretty accurate driver & rarely over-rev the engine and in general see normal temps (& live in LA or Arizona) then you could get a lot of miles from your oil.

However... This being said... YMMV and frankly as the other guy said - cheap insurance cheap insurance cheap insurance.

Note: Pro teams change the oil after every race to look for metal and other contaminants in the oil for signs of engine wear. Not usually because the oil is bad. (put a big magnet at the bottom of your oil drainage pan and swish it around - any metal will collect on that magnet (yay for cast iron blocks!)

Again - let your own conscience and gut guide you, not some random thing you read on the interWebz.

Remember free advice is worth every penny.

tfro

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tfro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone using oil analysis from someone like blackstone labs? It's very common in other race venues, and they give plenty of feedback about what is wearing, if you could use the oil longer/shorter, if you need a different oil with certain additives...

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ExRoadRacer:
However... This being said... YMMV and frankly as the other guy said - cheap insurance cheap insurance cheap insurance.

This probably wasn't clear, but that was me making fun of the people who continually parrot that "cheap insurance" line no matter how much data they're confronted with. But again, that's coming from a cheapass racer with cheapass engines. If I had a fancy motor I'd be doing whatever my engine builder told me to do.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone use 5W20 syn. oil? Or use a high zinc racing oil?

klanasa

Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for klanasa     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Thornton - Race Engineering:

Bob - What type of oil do you recommend?

KL

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: