Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Nology....300x.. come on guys...

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Nology....300x.. come on guys...
Heritage Racing Group

Region: STEEL CITIES
Car #: 15
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How is this possible and so do they really make more power?????????? I have seen these on some cars. The company claims 300x more spark with these wires. Any thoughts?

Greg

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

300 times more spark than what? a lighter? be more specific

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

drgoodwrench

Region: CAL Club
Car #: 69
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for drgoodwrench   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, the spark is actually 300x more powerful, but will it make any difference to your engine's output?
IF your engine is 100% burn efficient at all RPMs and loads, (include g-loads in a carburated car)then it will not. But since I assume you are running in a Spec Miata with a stock ECU, your AFR is all over the place as you try and keep it floored. As that mixture fluctuates, the ability of your engine to ignite and burn the fuel also fluctuates. Place on top of that variability in fuel injector low rates, different cylinder ring wear and valve opening, and you've got LESS than ideal combustion somewhere nearly all the time.
Nology Hotwires gives your engine a better chance of more fully combusting or at least igniting all these varied mixtures. The result is more "area under the curve" on the dyno. Your peak HP may not increase, but your amount of work done per volume of fuel used per minute will definitely increase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5RVbaQt5fM

In a forced induction motor or very High compression motor, cylinder pressure can become so high as to "snuff" the spark. Without the extra plasma type spark of the Nology hotwires or a Magneto, the mixture just won't ignite.
I have seen top fuel motors "hydraulic" the head right off for this very reason.

You should know, that the stock Miata 90-99 ignition using a dual post coil actually only needs ONE hot wire per coil ( but they sell them as a kit of 4 wires). The extra capaciter doens't harm, but also doesn't help. Better to buy a set with a buddy and split it up.
ALSO it is a waste of money to use these wires and then run resistor type spark plugs- you defeat 80% of the gain. So forget Iridiums- last a long time because they are LOW ENERGY- and use the Nology Silverstones or some other NON-resistor type plug.

--------------------
 -

Heritage Racing Group

Region: STEEL CITIES
Car #: 15
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So where do I get NON-resistor plugs for my 1999 SpecMiata....... what are some non resistor plugs thqat can be purchased at a local auto parts store that will work with thes wires??

Greg

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And, won't they make my radio have static?

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Mike Tesch Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Tesch   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Heritage Racing Group:
How is this possible and so do they really make more power?????????? I have seen these on some cars. The company claims 300x more spark with these wires. Any thoughts?

Greg

Good product, or good marketing? You be the judge. Now all you need to do is add some Pulstar plugs with these hot wires, and you've gained maybe 5-8 horsepower! Add a tornado intake and the horsepower is unlimited.

I don't buy anything because the product is marketed well. I buy them because I can prove that they work.

My advise... save your money. Just my $.02 worth.

--------------------
"I've got 5 kids... here there are hundreds"

Mike Tesch
Go Time Racing LLC

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

wouldn't the performance grounding kits add more power?

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Tesch   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by andrew_anderson:
wouldn't the performance grounding kits add more power?

Read this:

Truth about plug wires

Like I said... save your money.

--------------------

Mike Tesch
Go Time Racing LLC

drgoodwrench

Region: CAL Club
Car #: 69
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for drgoodwrench   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow Mike, have you ever actually spent any time on a dyno with these wires? I have.
"Truth about Wires" there's your marketing for you.
Could you make more gains spending the money elsewhere, like an hour on the dyno tuning your AFM? Sure. Any reason not to do both if you have the money? NO.

You will get static on the radio..only if you like AM stations..your race radios should be fine.

Here is a cross reference for plugs, the Miata uses the D4YS Nology plug..
http://www.nology.com/crossref.html
Here is the NGK product list..
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/product_list.pdf

--------------------
 -

quote:
Originally posted by drgoodwrench:
Wow Mike, have you ever actually spent any time on a dyno with these wires? I have.
"Truth about Wires" there's your marketing for you.
Could you make more gains spending the money elsewhere, like an hour on the dyno tuning your AFM? Sure. Any reason not to do both if you have the money? NO.

You will get static on the radio..only if you like AM stations..your race radios should be fine.

Here is a cross reference for plugs, the Miata uses the D4YS Nology plug..
http://www.nology.com/crossref.html
Here is the NGK product list..
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/product_list.pdf

Wow... (add your name here since I don't see it in your post) Yes, I have spent time on a dyno. In fact, in the past two weeks, we have done 272 pulls on the same car.

My point... I use products because I can prove they work, not because of what is advertised or others say work.

But, if you think you can re-invent the wheel... knock yourself out!

--------------------

Mike Tesch
Go Time Racing LLC

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

drgoodwrench, do you have a vested interest in promoting Nology products that you'd like to disclose? A quick web search shows that you've joined several forums with the apparent sole purpose of posting positive testimonials about Nology products.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From findit-fixit: [Big Grin] [Wink] [Roll Eyes]
quote:

"I, like many weekend warrior auto racers, would love to have a reasonably priced on board Data Acquisition System to help in setting up the car, and improve my driving ability. NOLOGY Engineering (www.nology.com)has provided me with a very nice logging unit (retails under $700.00)"

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DrGoodwrench did not start this thread. He has come here and provided an answer to a question a member posted. This is not a bash session.

This is the internet. Take it or leave it. Research it for yourself and you decide if this is the product or not for you.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Understood and agreed that advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it. Having said that, it's good form for people to disclose any relationship with the manufacturer when providing testimonials. It seems fairly clear here that drgoodwrench is not completely impartial, but he has yet to come clean about it.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Bush:
From findit-fixit: [Big Grin] [Wink] [Roll Eyes]
quote:

"I, like many weekend warrior auto racers,...."

For disclosure sake, Neither of these individuals are paid for or race with Weekend Warrior Racing, LLC. [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: