Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » A few exhaust questions

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: A few exhaust questions
Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yesterday I dropped a wheel off a curb and hit the curb with the exhaust. Now the area where the forward part of the exhaust slip fits on the short pipe off the manifold is slightly loose. I noticed there is a clamp there that looks like it should have a bolt through it. No bolt though. I looked at another 1.6 and there was no bolt on that one either. Are we both missing a bolt?

What exactly is considered to be the "down pipe"? Is this the pipe that the O2 sensor is mounted in?

I have a LC1 wideband sensor to install. What is the best area to weld the bung?

TIA

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is a 4" 12mm headed bolt that goes through the clamp and holds the downpipe to a bracket on the bell housing.

The downpipe is the piece that attaches to the exhaust manifold and the cat.

I mounted my wideband sensor in to the collector of the exhaust manifold.

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Answer to the first question is "Yes" you are both missing bolts that hold the clamp

Next on my 1.6 I mounted my wide band sensor in the O2 sensor hole and then clamped the stock O2 sensor to the down pipe.

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys!

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've read that the bolt is important to have in there, as it provides some needed support.

Without it, "they" say that the balance of the exhaust system will flex, causing cracks in the exhaust manifold.

I'm not sure if cracks in the manifold would be a performance advantage or disadvantage.

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A cracked Exhaust manifold is a disadvantage

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: