Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North-East » Nitto Tire support for MARRS SM

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Nitto Tire support for MARRS SM
Connie 62 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 11
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Connie 62     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As most of you should be aware, the Nitto NT-01 is approved for MARRS competition in Spec Miata (SM). Sorry, not yet for SSM.

Mike and I are happy to announce that Nitto Tire has made a major commitment to introduce our Miata racers to their DOT performance radial, the NT-01.

A significant number of tires have been allotted for our racers. The cost per tire will be the actual costs of shipping and shaving. I don't know the exact numbers yet, but I expect it will be about $100 per set of 4 tires.

Now you all know that I don't usually give preferential treatment to those running at the front. I prefer to distribute the goodies throughout the field. However I would like to explore the ultimate performance of the tire and thus Mike and I are seeking several Top 10 drivers in SM who would be willing to commit to the Nitto NT-01 in MARRS competition. All that is required beyond the cost of shipping and shaving is to display (3) three Nitto Tires logos on your car. Placement to be determined.

Not running in the Top 10. Read on. We'll also have tires for some in the remainder of the field. Shaved and unshaved. We'd particularly like to have someone who attends all the events who is willing to run the tires unshaved. The molded tread depth on the NT-01 is only 6/32 so the tire can be run without shaving. It won't be quite as fast but tire life should be greater.

So PM me if you're interested. Initial preference will be given to the front of the field, but we have quite a few sets of tires. If we have more volunteers than tires, we'll have a lottery.

Although no agreements have been made with Nitto except to promote the introduction of the NT-01 to MARRS drivers, I believe this could lead to a relationship beneficial to both Nitto and our drivers.

--------------------
Jim Thill
#11 SSM
#3 ITA
Thrillz Racing

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want to thank Jim for spearheading this for us. After getting involved initially and getting the ball rolling I had to excuse myself from some of the details as to not create any perceived conflict of interest with my SMAC position.

As the WDCR-SCCA Drivers Representative I am really pleased to have Nitto on board with us this season. I have driven the tires and will compete on them this season. the tire is just like the RA1 without the need to shave it, or just like the RA1 you can shave it to be a little thinner for a little more initial performance.

Thanks again to Jim and Nitto.

MEAT

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

T.J. Kearney Verified Driver
Male Member

Region: Finger Lakes
Car #: 85
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for T.J. Kearney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

wow...nice score!

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How soon are they available? MARRS 4?

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just what we need... another tire to add to the mix.

I seriously don't get it. Is the MARRS series OPEN TIRE or not? I don't want 100 pages of explanation, on how i'm not a team player, etc... just post the TIRES and DATES that are legal for SM and SSM competition. I haven't bought new tires since 2007, and need to buy some ASAP... but baffled on what to buy right now.

I appreciate the work Jim, but looks like one more thing that needs to be tested.

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Connie 62     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch Reading:
Just what we need... another tire to add to the mix.

I seriously don't get it. Is the MARRS series OPEN TIRE or not? I don't want 100 pages of explanation, on how i'm not a team player, etc... just post the TIRES and DATES that are legal for SM and SSM competition. I haven't bought new tires since 2007, and need to buy some ASAP... but baffled on what to buy right now.

I appreciate the work Jim, but looks like one more thing that needs to be tested.

I guess I can assume that you are not interested in a better performing tire, a less expensive tire, or a tire with a contingency program. We will continue to search for products with those goals in mind.

The NT-01 was added to SM to provide another option to the R-888(which nobody seemed to like), when we thought the supply of RA-1s might be limited.

I do not believe in an option for tires in SSM, which is what we got when the changover to the R888 came along. If the SM drivers like the NT-01 I will push to have it declared the spec tire for SSM in 2010. The NT-01 is cheaper than the Toyos, and can be run unshaved, which would save the additional cost of shaving. We may have to ship a couple tires north to get the rest of the NEDiv regions running SSM on board.

The Toyo RA-1 or R-888 may be run in MARRS competition (either SM or SSM) for the entire 2009 season. It's your choice, but not a difficult decision. If you're running SM, then you might put your name on my list for a real cheap set of tires.

Just to clarify the Nitto deal. We're looking for real race results on these tires, not just your opinion in testing. Thus you must agree to use the tire in MARRS competition to qualify.

--------------------
Jim Thill
#11 SSM
#3 ITA
Thrillz Racing

ctkellett Verified Driver
http://www.syncspeedinc.com

Region: Phila
Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There was talk at the SM/SSM drivers meeting at MARRS 1 that the Nitto tire was also discontinued for production, is that not true? For what it is worth, I ran a set of these for the MARRS 1 SM race ( provided by Jim) and I liked them a lot, I felt that they are an easier transition for people who are set up for the RA-1's already.

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am interested in some consistency.

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+ 1 to what the red snoopy above said ...
and congrats to Mr Thill and Mike C for giving the class a better choice than the status quo.
Read the following quote posted here by someone about 3 months ago :
"As to the availability of the beloved, original (pre 2005) RA-1 tire, it is alive and well, living under the guise as the NITTO NT01 tire.
Anyone who has raced the NT01 in the IT classes will tell you ; decent grip, dead consistant, forever long lasting, good to the last drop, even raceable at the cords without losing any grip.
hmmm ... sounds like the original RA-1 to me. Sounds like a great Spec Miata spec tire, given that Toyo is the parent company of NITTO ".

and you guys got em at a sweet deal [thumbsup] Hope the other regions are paying attention, great choice for the class.
thanks,
Carlos G.

breathesfire Verified Driver
flirting with disaster

Region: South Jersey
Icon 1 posted  Profile for breathesfire     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do we know how an unshaved NT01 performs in the rain? This may play a factor if it were selected as a spec tire.

Pete Maerz

Male Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for T.J. Kearney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

recommended for dry use only

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The NT01 is a D.O.T.-compliant dry competition radial designed with the weekend road racer in mind. The compound was developed to provide the best balance of traction, consistency, heat cycle performance and longevity. The sidewall construction* is optimized for sharp steering response, accurate feedback and increased driver confidence. For those that demand maximum dry performance, the NT01 can be shaved from 6/32 of an inch down to 3/32 of an inch to reveal a slick with two circumferential grooves. The NT01 delivers fast and consistent lap times for both the professional road-racer and the track-day enthusiast.

*Steel reinforced sidewall offered in select sizes. The NT01 is recommended for dry competition use.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

MegaModerator

http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.nt01.overview

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

I haven't done any research, so you can correct me if I am wrong, but I suspect the Toyo RA-1 and R888 are recommended for dry use only also. We force them into wet duty because we have no choice. The NT-01 (like the R888) is molded to 6/32, and could certainly be used in wet conditions at full tread. None of the tires we are now authorized to use do a good job in the wet.

Anyhow, giving away tires is the easiest job I've ever had. 7 sets to some of our best drivers, and 2 more sets going to run our 12 Hour. I still need a couple volunteers to run the tires full tread.

--------------------
Jim Thill
#11 SSM
#3 ITA
Thrillz Racing

Male Member

RA-1:

"Full 8/32nds tread depth provides good competitive wet traction"

R888:

"Increased tread area and limited void improves dry traction V-shaped grooves assist with wet traction."

"In competition the R888ís improvements in casing and tread design improve dry performance while maintaining wet traction and control."

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Don't know about you, but I've run both in the wet. I think Toyo is padding their resume.

--------------------
Jim Thill
#11 SSM
#3 ITA
Thrillz Racing

Male Member

...which would dictate that if the RA-1 and R888 suck in the rain, then the NT-01 will be horrendous...

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

trey

Region: houston
Car #: 44
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any feedback on the NT01's ?

I'm going to run ITA this year in Texas , the NT01 has been great for a track day tire , but not sure how it performs vs Hoosier SM tire

Did the folks running the NT01 reach a conclusion in regard to shave or no shave ?

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Nitto is very close to the RA1 when shaved, the Hoosier will be the tire to have unless you want to save some $ by getting more cycles on the tire.
The Nitto was molded in 2004-2005 that is the tire that is available- read aged in a warehouse, but more consistent thru it's life. The "fresh" RA1 is a little softer for this reason.

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

FastM3 Verified Driver

Region: NER
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We played with a set of full depth NT01's during 2009 and they were great. Used in ITA and was a very enjoyable if noisey tire. Takes a little playing to get the pressure correct so the outside edge wear is manageable. (read be carefull to not cord the outside edge on an otherwise beautiful tire)

In 2010 we had a set of shaved NT01's and they were not happy tires at all. I was careful with pressures to prevent the outside edge wear but their traction was not very good.

Maybe it was just that set. Both sets were dated 2005.

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: