Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North-East » MARRS/SARRC Cone of Silence

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: MARRS/SARRC Cone of Silence
Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where are the updates? What happened. Need the info....

Did Kenny drink too much Saturday? Did he get the Sheetz?

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 05
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah really, it is awfully quiet!

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1... lets hear it!

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Ray Kopp

Car #: 6
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ray Kopp   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is a close approximation to the results

Saturday's Race
1 Ken Zalner
2 Thomas Bourne
3 Timothy Jacobs
4 Scott Brunk
5 Alex Gaines
6 Neil ORourke
Fastest lap: Zalner 2:21.777
Kopp DNF

Sunday's Race
1 Alex Gaines
2 Michael Collins
3 Ken Zalner
4 Kevin Kopp
5 Neil ORourke
6 Timothy Jacobs
7 Bret De Pedro
8 Scott Brunk
Fastest lap: Kopp 2:20.329

--------------------
Ray Kopp
Kopp Motorsports
Great Falls, VA
Piper Motorsport/King Rat Motorsports
http://koppmotorsports.blogspot.com

Brandon Bunkley Verified Driver

Car #: 99 SSM
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon Bunkley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice to see Bret up there and doing well.

--------------------
Brandon Bunkley

Henderson Racing

Konstruct Tubes

http://www.konstruktubes.com

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Way to go Alex Gaines for winning the SARRC on both Saturday and Sunday, not to mention winning overall on Sunday even with electrical gremlins! Not even electrical gremlins can hold back wheelman Gaines with Race Engineering power.

Awesome drive by Ken Z to win overall on Saturday!

Congratulations to all of the other SARRC/MARRS drivers as well. You guys all put on a great show that involved many lead changes throughout the races.

Awesome seeing everyone including my buddies from MARRS Ken Z, Brian Z, Bret D, Brian B, Chris W, Mike C, etc.

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good job Alex. A championship is just over the horizon it seems.

Wish I could have raced with you guys sunday but I had some car problems and a broken wrist.\

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry guys... I tried to wear out Gaines the week before the race by making him lift all the heavy stuff during my house move. Apparently it just made him stronger. Congrats Ken and Alex on two big overall wins, and to Mike for the MARRS victory on Sunday!

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SSM?

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys, Fuel was tested with the new procedure this weekend? Correct?
That was done with surplus compliance fee money from last years program? They will also be doing some more random checks. Tried to get some things done on a regional level as well.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

John Nesbitt

Region: WDCR, NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Nesbitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Hey guys, Fuel was tested with the new procedure this weekend? Correct?
That was done with surplus compliance fee money from last years program? They will also be doing some more random checks. Tried to get some things done on a regional level as well.

Yes, the top 3 SM's overall from the Sunday race (SARRC or MARRS) had samples taken for analysis.

That race's results are provisional pending lab report.

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Which Region had to put up the $$$ for the new fuel test proceedure? Was it he result of a Protest or did the $$$ come from another source? I had not seen anything indicating that surplus money from the discontinued SM compliance fee was being used for this purpose. My understanding was the $$$ was to come either from the Protest parties if applicable, or the Region if it was a random test conducted at impound. John Nesbitt can you shed some light on this?

John Nesbitt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Nesbitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Capt. John:
Which Region had to put up the $$$ for the new fuel test proceedure? Was it he result of a Protest or did the $$$ come from another source? I had not seen anything indicating that surplus money from the discontinued SM compliance fee was being used for this purpose. My understanding was the $$$ was to come either from the Protest parties if applicable, or the Region if it was a random test conducted at impound. John Nesbitt can you shed some light on this?

There is a third possibility: the testing was funded from the SM compliance fund (leftover from 2009).

Neither the Region nor the drivers had to put up money.

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice run by Neil on Saturday. Had the race won until he got spun in Oak Tree on the last lap. Next time.

Congratulations to Brunk on his wins. Won by a mile on Saturday and then again by just a couple of thousands on Sunday.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, Alan where were you?

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Helping out my Brother-in-law. Some things are more important than racing....only a few though. Congrats, you won (our bet) I guess. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We had a great weekend of racing, great to see everyone from up north. Alex and Mike had one hell of a race it was fun to watch.
Congrats to all.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Mrs SpecHorsepower

Region: Southeast
Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mrs SpecHorsepower     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to Alex from your wife!

Alex Gaines Verified Driver

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Gaines   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a great time this weekend. Getting to battle with some awesome drivers from the northeast was a blast. That was some of the tightest racing I've ever been in and everyone came out clean. Had some electrical gremlins but my RE motor was strong all weekend. Thanks for all your help Bob!
I have to give a big shout out to Carbotech and the Puskar family for helping me get through the test day. Without them my weekend would not have turned out so well. See everyone at CMP

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
2010 13 Hours of VIR Champions
Race Engineering

Zack Skolnick

Region: NNJR
Car #: 89
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zack Skolnick   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Gaines on his win! Wish I was out at VIR racing against everyone in SM.

[ 05-11-2010, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Zack Skolnick ]

--------------------
Zack Skolnick #89
Rossini Race Products/ Piloti /Zamp Racing Helmets/ Playseat USA
http://www.rossiniracing.com

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great big fun this weekend. Good clean racing from my point of view. Love VIR - wish I could get some more GreatLakers to follow me down. Thought I smelled some funny fuel on the grid but can't say fer shur.

I appreciated Mr. Nesbitt's chat with the SMers at Saturday's drivers meeting.

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know there were several races within the SSM race both days. Here's my scoop
Saturday- Brunk tucked in behind a SSB MX5 and just stuck in the draft. I missed a shift and rode in 2nd til I cooked the tires trying to make up the distance. That let Mark catch me and we had a good race for the last few laps but he got me in the end.
Sunday- This was a different story, Brunk inside and I was outside pole and ran 3/4 race with Brunk in the lead, by then we had a distance on 3rd...So let the racing begin we raced each other hard for several laps once 2 wide from the brake zone of T-1 til after the bridge, never touched he pulled the lead up the hill but I was stuck to his bumper. Making it down the back straight we hit the Roller Coaster to catch 3 cars (lapped traffic) that are battling making a 5 car gaggle around Hog Pen Brunk sputters on fuel I split the traffic and Brunk, pull out made the pass but he is in my draft sling shots up and we cross the line together. Brunk gets the win by .016 but I get the record in SSM 2:21.856 [thumbsup]
What a race!
Brunk that is the second race in a row we have raced that has been the tightest and cleanest giving each just enough room. Congrats on the win well earned! [banghead] missed it by that much.

And the battery died in the camera before T1 on the pace lap [censored] [help]

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Jon Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
..driver for hire..

Car #: 87
SMIM: racerJRP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jon Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We really need split starts for SSM and whatever other class they put us with down there. It sounds like that dictated the win on saturday.
...and ended my season last year.

I thought we had come to an understanding that you were all going to leave my SSM record alone down there!? [Mad] [Big Grin] Congrats Chris, it sounds like it was a great battle between you and Scott.

Wish I could have been there.

--------------------
SSM #87 MARRS
--2007 ARRC SSM Champion--

Windsorcustoms.com

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Pressman:
We really need split starts for SSM and whatever other class they put us with down there. It sounds like that dictated the win on saturday.
...and ended my season last year.

One of the reasons I did not make the trip this year...

Last year my Sunday ended up in a crumpled mess due to an IT car [Frown]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Connie 62 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 11
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Connie 62     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unfortunately due to my poor qualifying times, I spent a lot of time with the Showroom Stock and IT cars this weekend. None of them presented even the slightest problem. I might even say it was kinda fun racing with cars of different performance capabilities. I haven't done that for awhile and it adds another aspect to the strategy game.

--------------------
Jim Thill
#11 SSM
#3 ITA
Thrillz Racing

John Nesbitt

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Pressman:

The reason that there was not a split start in Group 4 was that the Chief Steward did not receive a request for a split start.

The Chief Steward was perfectly open to split starts (there was one for Group 1).

If you don't ask ...

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great weekend. Glad to have 2 cars in impound for a change, should have been 3 but Neil knows we still love him!

Congrats to Kenny and Mike C for the MARRS wins, and to Alex for the SUPER SARRC win on Sunday. The show in SM and SSM was one of the best I have seen in a long while.

Bobby T and the OPM gang, I had a BLAST thats all I can say!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

skrzastek

Region: Blue Ridge Region
Car #: #91
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Qualified my highest ever on Sunday, only to be pushed off in T1 (by an IT car..)on the opening lap and lost 16 positions. On the plus side I did make up 14 of those spots during the race. Overall a fun weekend at VIR

--------------------
#91 SSM

John Nesbitt

Also, a friendly reminder for some of you.

If the Starter shows you a Closed Black Flag (i.e. displays your number while making a finger-wagging gesture with a rolled-up flag), it means, “We saw what you did. Stop it.”

It should not be confused with a Black Flag (i.e. the Starter displays your number and an open black flag), which means, “Come into the pits and stop at the designated location for further instructions.” You do not have to come into the pits in response to a Closed Black.

Of course, if you ignore the Closed Black and persist in whatever you were doing, you will soon see a Black Flag with your number beside it.

[ 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: John Nesbitt ]

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In my first weekend in a SM & a RWD car at that, I survived failed hood pins on Friday (destroyed the rt half of my windshield) and started at the other end of the grid both day's... I started 40th and finished 31st Saturday, Sunday 29th and ended up 31st... a miss shift out of Oak Tree, a turn in to late at 3, and a real back marker set me back... but live and learn.

Otherwise I had a blast! As for fuel... I don't know about the grid, but someting was smelling funy out on the track.

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

geneclev

Region: wdc
Car #: ssm 24
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for geneclev     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yea i saw your hood come up that looked nasty, speaking of destroyed windshields along with the left side of my car when the tire wall at 17 for no good reason came right at me they should fix that,thanks to john nesbitt and mike c for allowing me to run with no windshield and top and a specials thanks to windsorcustoms for putting my car back on track,as for the odor i believe tics destoryed the clutch in car 83

--------------------
coolman A/C&heating
windsorcustoms.com

iambhooper

Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by geneclev:
yea i saw your hood come up that looked nasty, speaking of destroyed windshields along with the left side of my car when the tire wall at 17 for no good reason came right at me they should fix that,thanks to john nesbitt and mike c for allowing me to run with no windshield and top and a specials thanks to windsorcustoms for putting my car back on track,as for the odor i believe tics destoryed the clutch in car 83

was your's the dark blue car that was parked in the paddock on the main drag accross from the pond? usually damage like that means that someone tried something stupid drivers left coming out of the flat ess's. but you say the tire wall driver's right at hog pen? turn in too early?

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'06 RSX Type S

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just curious Hoop - did you have to lobby the stewards to continue the event with a broken windshield?

-Denny

John Nesbitt

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Just curious Hoop - did you have to lobby the stewards to continue the event with a broken windshield?

-Denny

Here is the skinny on windshields at the event.

There were three cases that I was involved with. In two cases, cars had damaged windshields, but on the passenger side. Tech examined the windshields, and agreed that they could continue as long as they were clear-taped inside and out.

There was a third case (Mr. Clevenger), whose windshield was heavily damaged on the driver's side. The damage was so extensive that taping was not feasible and, in any case, the driver could not see through the damage. The Chief Steward permitted Mr. Clevenger to race with the windshield and roof removed, on the understanding that his car would be moved to last place. I executed CSA's after both races, moving his car to last for non-compliance.

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks John for getting this worked out, It sure made Mr. Clevenger happy to be able to race

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

iambhooper

quote:
Originally posted by John Nesbitt:
quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:

-Denny

Here is the skinny on windshields at the event.

There were three cases that I was involved with. In two cases, cars had damaged windshields, but on the passenger side. Tech examined the windshields, and agreed that they could continue as long as they were clear-taped inside and out.

John is correct. But having been around long enough, I knew they let a Porsche run the 13 hour several years back with chicken wire for a windshield... so I knew worst case. I taped it up after the incident on friday, however a corner worked called me in during the race. After my visit w John in impound I applied a bit more tape and a SPECIAL for said corner worker [Big Grin]

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'06 RSX Type S

Brian Holtz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Holtz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by iambhooper:
I taped it up after the incident on friday, however a corner worked called me in during the race. After my visit w John in impound I applied a bit more tape and a SPECIAL for said corner worker [Big Grin]

hoop

The corner worker didn't call you in. I'm sure that he or she simply reported the status of your car. The operating steward is the only one who can make the decision to have you meatballed.

Brian

John Nesbitt

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Holtz:
quote:
Originally posted by iambhooper:
I taped it up after the incident on friday, however a corner worked called me in during the race. After my visit w John in impound I applied a bit more tape and a SPECIAL for said corner worker [Big Grin]

hoop

The corner worker didn't call you in. I'm sure that he or she simply reported the status of your car. The operating steward is the only one who can make the decision to have you meatballed.

Brian

That's what happened. A corner called it in (reported it to Race Control), I had the car sent to impound at end of session, and we found a solution.

Brian Holtz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Holtz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok, now I know what the meaning of the word "it" is. [Smile] Interpreted the original post to mean he was brought in during the session.

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Windsor:
Thanks John for getting this worked out, It sure made Mr. Clevenger happy to be able to race

exactly.... that's why it's great having officials who still race or have raced on track recently.

they understand a driver's point of view much better instead of seeing every situation as "black and white".

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

John Nesbitt

The fuel test results have come back from the lab. All the samples were OK.

The Region should be posting final results for the Sunday SM race shortly.

You can find results on the NCR website: http://ncrscca.com/drivers.htm#AlFairer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: