Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North-East » Typical weekend

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Typical weekend
Shane Smith

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shane Smith     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys. Kinda silly questions here. But I am not patient enough to wait until Oct to see my first event. My last post resulted in awesome replies and gave me terrific insight. Thank you.

Do a good amount of racers bring motor homes or campers to the events? Or am I going to be only one?

Also, how long is a typical regional race? Are they Timed or is it a 10 lap race? When I raced go karts you had practice in the am. Then 3 heats throughout the day. Typically 10 separate classes(or run groups) in a weekend.

Just curious. I have a lot to learn still.

--------------------
Team Dumb and Dumber
Researching Spec Miata racing. Want to get into it. Need to find a car and a shop to get me set up.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some RVs, some really nice motor coaches, some tents, some motel dwellers...and some sleep in their car trailers with elaborate air mattress and air conditioning setups. One of our guys carries a dish and flatscreen in his trailer so that we can catch the NASCAR night races while we're grilling dinner and reveling.

A typical regional race is 25 minutes or a certain number of laps, whichever comes first. The usual format is qual on Sat morning, race in the afternoon. Sundays sometimes have another qual session in the morning or a qual race, with a points race in the afternoon. However the schedule differs by region and track. Lots of us maximize our track time by running in a second class.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since I only live an hour from my track, I sleep in my own bed and use my own shower every night! But there really are a good amount of people that stay at the track.

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some guys have motorhomes/rigs worth more than my house. Most tracks allow camping - a lot of folks do. I prefer hotels.

Most regionals are x number of laps or x number of minutes, whichever comes first, depending on the event and length of the track - usually limited to around 30-40 minutes.

SCCA is normally 15-20 min qualifying then the race, run in order of groups. Usually 6-7 groups

NASA is usually 20 min practice, 15 min qual, then race. Schedule is more arbitrary - depending on which franchise is hosting. Typically only 2 groups.

Dennis Valet

Region: NYR/North East Division
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Valet     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You definitely would not be the only person there with a motorhome. Lots of toterhomes, lots of motorhomes of varying sizes, and lots of people in tents at every event. Some tracks are more accommodating than others in terms of staying at the track.

Shane Smith

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shane Smith     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds great. Sounds just like the good old days when I did go karts as a kid. I thought that kind of racing was gone forever. I have issues with oval racing. Different crowd and just different in every other possible way. I am looking forward to getting into this. We had a good amount of all of the above. Campers, tents, and some sleeping in trailers or cars.

--------------------
Team Dumb and Dumber
Researching Spec Miata racing. Want to get into it. Need to find a car and a shop to get me set up.

jim kettelkamp

Region: GRR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jim kettelkamp     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I love club racing with the Miata for all the reasons listed above, mostly the comradarie w/ fellow racers. Definately more fun than Skip Barber! Do it!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: