Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North-East » The Last Chance at WGI (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: The Last Chance at WGI
GridWench

Region: Glen
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GridWench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Registration, the old-fashioned way, is available via the Glen Region website:
http://www.glen-scca.org/roadracing/schedule.asp
I am sure that online registration at the NESCCA site will be available soon.

On the Glen Region site, please read the comments under "Event" as well as studying those supps. There will be a quiz.

I would encourage any non-competing able-bodied persons to volunteer for flagging duties during any of the three events. Let's be sure we are able to utilize the long course!

Jeff Longo, we'll find you a personal assistant so that you are to Grid in a timely fashion. [Razz]

And we're off!

Cheers,
Cheryl

--------------------
Cheryl Ragalevsky
Glen Region, SCCA
Activities Director
Membership Chair
Chair, Last Chance

edzeb

Car #: #72
Year : 1990/1991/1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for edzeb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Registration on NESCCA is OPEN!

GridWench

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GridWench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, now that the Not So Fun One is over (sorry, Grid was rather "eventful"), time to get registered for The Last Chance. Register before midnight tonight and we'll include a set of Ginsu knives in your packet. But wait, that's not all...
Those selfless individuals wishing to instruct for the Drivers' School should contact Eddie Z. as soon as possible at: edzeb@juno.com.
We can have a straw poll to see who I should be next on Grid. Menopausal Bunny was ok until too many offered to de-tail me...

Cheryl

--------------------
Cheryl Ragalevsky
Glen Region, SCCA
Activities Director
Membership Chair
Chair, Last Chance

edzeb

Icon 1 posted  Profile for edzeb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who's running in the Enduro???

Adam Figarsky

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

my bro and I are running the enduro...
ill most likely do the regional unless the brother wants in...MAX?
---

--------------------
TeamFigMented

2009 NARRC and NYSRRC SSM Champion
2009 SSM NESCCA Enduro Series Champion

edzeb

The Weather is looking good! NO RAIN!!!

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And NO FOG !!!!

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm going to remember you said that John

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

edzeb

No 'F'riends 'O'f 'G'reen? (FOG)

That's Bill Green for those not in the WG-know...

GridWench

quote:
Originally posted by edzeb:
The Weather is looking good! NO RAIN!!!

Seriously, did you expect any less??

--------------------
Cheryl Ragalevsky
Glen Region, SCCA
Activities Director
Membership Chair
Chair, Last Chance

Adam Figarsky

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

last year

--------------------
TeamFigMented

edzeb

Incredible weekend. Perfect. Great weather, great Driver School, Great Enduro (thanks to my Co-Driver Dave Kicak) and AWESOME Regional race. Amy and I had one awesome race! The Solo in the North Paddock was huge success as well! Thanks to Race Chair Cheryl, all the workers, and everyone. One perfect ending to a great season.
--Ed...

soupy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank You Glen region for doing another fine job of putting on a great event.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Howard

Region: NORTHEAST
Car #: 66
SMIM: SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Howard     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to Race Chair Cheryl, all the workers, and everyone. One perfect ending to a great season.

same from me

Howard

SHOEDOG

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SHOEDOG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes super event-Thanks to everyone who made it happen!I'll be back next year.
Steve

Adam Figarsky

agreed...great weekend...
great driving...

--------------------
TeamFigMented

racinglawyer Verified Driver
Old Member

Region: NEPA
Car #: 0
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racinglawyer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for a great weekend of racing..Weather, racing and The Glen in October says it all.

The PLANET MIATA Team wants to thank everyone who lent a hand, loaned us parts and helped us fix our crippled car after the enduro incident...Without your help and good will, I would not have raced in the last chance regional race on Sunday.

See you all next year...Love and Kisses from the "commander"

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
Love "the commander" Mike Cefalo

T.J. Kearney Verified Driver
Male Member

Region: Finger Lakes
Car #: 85
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for T.J. Kearney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Soupy! Holy crap...was that 2:13 without the weight and plate in the 98? Tell me it was a different car?! Gaad-zooks....

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

soupy

It's amazing what you can do when all the pieces of the puzzle are put together.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

edzeb

Nitro? Did someone say Nitro????

soupy

Tom that was with my brothers' Fprod car. First time in it. STU race was with mine without the restrictor and running on 3 cyl.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

GridWench

Thanks to everyone who made The Last Chance a great weekend! The animal shelter was overwhelmed with pet food, for which they are very grateful.
As for the Region/Division, we need to get more driving students into the school. We love doing the school, but I fear it may go away if we cannot support it financially.
So, please, talk with your RE, your fellow competitors, heck, even speak with Ed Zebrowski to come up with a plan(s) to support the Driving School.

No drivers were harmed in the making of this post.

--------------------
Cheryl Ragalevsky
Glen Region, SCCA
Activities Director
Membership Chair
Chair, Last Chance

Old Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for racinglawyer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some random thoughts...A few years ago I suggested to one of the regions they allow licensed drivers to take in their school as a means of adding revenue...I got a flat...Not Allowed...you should come up with a package for people with licenses to help defray the costs of putting on the driving school...even thought its a Enduro weekend some may want more track time or even instruction...

These are hard economic times for many and adding value to anything is a big inducement to spend more money.

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN

GridWench

quote:
Originally posted by racinglawyer:
Some random thoughts...A few years ago I suggested to one of the regions they allow licensed drivers to take in their school as a means of adding revenue...I got a flat...Not Allowed...you should come up with a package for people with licenses to help defray the costs of putting on the driving school...even thought its a Enduro weekend some may want more track time or even instruction...

These are hard economic times for many and adding value to anything is a big inducement to spend more money.

Mike,
Good thought. We very often have a number of licensed drivers take the school. I guess that for all the time you get on track, it's a good deal. The licensed drivers are required to take the same instruction as non-licensed drivers.
Keep the ideas coming!!

--------------------
Cheryl Ragalevsky
Glen Region, SCCA
Activities Director
Membership Chair
Chair, Last Chance

Old Member

Cheryl.

I know it's late and my mind never sleeps...you may want to start a trend of having license drivers coach other license drivers at a drivers school...I always see the young kids around The faster drivers trying to get some SPEED SECRETS...This could be a great sourse of revenue if they were part of a driving school.....As a Ballroom Dancer my wife and I see a "movement coach" on a regular basis, along with a swing coach for my golf game, and I still go to a skiing coach ...I still teach that crazy sport...We all need to tone our skills and a driving school is a great way for racers to do just that....we can and should continue to learn until we die...if we don't then we're already dead in the truest sense of the word.

I'll wager that 10 to 15 licensed drivers would sign up for the right program...there are some great drivers that come to the last chance weekend who would be great instructors, and all you need to do is ask them to help and they will.

I think I said too much already so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN

Mike LL

Region: Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike LL     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want my son to get coaching from a couple pro champion drivers. It would be cool if you could use them, without having to pay full price for them, maybe just insurance.

--------------------
Mike Lliteras
Sponsor, Mechanic, Owner and Dad
NASA FL

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Years ago, the club used to put on "advanced" drivers schools aimed at licensed drivers looking for some tips.

A friend of mine took one at LRP back in the late 60s. You might have heard of his instructor. Mark Donohue.

-Kyle

soupy

We have allowed licensed drivers in the school for a long time now. As for having a pro driver for an instructor, that would be great but open up a whole new set of problems.
In my opinion we need to move the schools up to the divisional control instead of laying all the burden on any one or two regions.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Old Member

Charlie, I was going to mention you as one of those instructors...you could teach a lot of people a lot of things about driving a race car.

As soon as one puts down their EGO they can and will advance to greater accomplishments.

I think what I was talking about was not so much as instruction in the truest sense of the word but rather speed secrets...we all could use them...and there are a lot of them...I could even teach that subject and I am not the greatest or fastest driver..but you don't have to be to great or fast to share Secrets of the sport.

Confession is now over...I hope you all have a great off season.

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN

GridWench

An "advanced" Driver's School is a great idea, and this year, probably could have been worked into the schedule.
Charlie is right, though...it is becoming increasingly difficult for Regions to shoulder DS alone. On a Divisional level, IMHO, it's become the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. When a Region loses money on a DS, they get rid of it (unless you're the Glen Region who is still hoping for a miracle), thus decreasing the potential customers/future competitors. Right or wrong, why should any Region support, monetarily, another Region's decision to keep a DS? There is no easy answer, but I am hoping that we will find our way out of the desert at the MiniCon.

--------------------
Cheryl Ragalevsky
Glen Region, SCCA
Activities Director
Membership Chair
Chair, Last Chance

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make the advanced school just another group in the regular school.

soupy

There is just enough time for the three run groups as it is, I don't think adding another group is an option, Unless we want to give up the 4 hour on Saturday...NOT The Glen region needs that to help fund the school. We do try to work with licensed drivers if they ask for specific help but most of the time they are just looking for extra track time, and that's ok too. We need to remember that for the "true" students that we are trying to test them on their abilities, their safety consciousness and their willingness to play nice with others. Trying to teach too much (or too fast)too soon could be a receipe for problems down the road. With some kind of divisional funding help with putting on a couple schools, without needing other paid events on the same weekend maybe we could put on a SUPER school where we could have enough time to do lots of differant things.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

edzeb

Last night, the Glen Region CRB discussed at length the Glen Region Driver School and its financial burden on the region. Unless something can be done to financially assist ANY region who is willing to take the financial hit and host a school, then you will see one less school. No schools = no new drivers. No new drivers = the slow death of all regions hosting Club Racing. Regions in NeDiv MUST work together on this. Enough said. Have a nice day...

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Last year I drove 8 hours to Summit Point to run their March school and completed my second school with NER at NHMS in early May. The goal was to be racing as early in the season as possible. Why would a student want to complete a school in Oct only to hang up the helmet for 6 months? Would moving the school to an earlier month increase participation? Are there already plenty of schools in the spring (SP, NJMP, NHMS, LRP) to justify adding another at WG?

FWIW, there were lots of licensed drivers at both NER schools this season; some helping as on-track instructors and others just there for track time. I think students benefit from more cars on track.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

edzeb

Cy,

I agree. Why a school in October? Because that is the date the track gives us. But if it does not work, then may be it will be dropped. The 14 Novices that we had at the last school could wait until the Spring to finish up and wait until the following October for those who wanted to run the Enduro and Regional.

BERG Racer Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for BERG Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was suggested years ago that we include a School group at each regional. Students would have to attend 4-5 events and would race in the school group until they are signed off to race with their regular group. Financial burden to the region is nill, students would see how the events are actually run, and the pool of instructors would be much deeper. Its not fair that the same guys are instructing each year. Now all we have to do is pack some more track time into the day to add another group. If we could minimize the amount of "dead time between groups it would be more then enough.

--------------------
http://www.bergmotorsports.com/index.php

soupy

The only up side to an Oct. school I see is a novice can rent, beg, borrow a car, do the school and see if that is what he really wants to do. Then if so he has all winter to build or buy a car and be ready earlier the next season.

Ed, no school how about a 6 hour enduro???? [duck]

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

SHOEDOG

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SHOEDOG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was wondering how not having a school would effect the enduro.It would seem the way the school and the enduro split a day that it would be difficult to financially seperate the two.

In the event of no school I would like to run a longer enduro as soupy suggested.No such thing as too much track time at WGI.(I will bring a spare hub next time though!)

edzeb

Berg, Some other Divisions have been doing exactly that. But it would take regions to actually work together to pull something like that off.

Soupy, It will be up to the new RE and CRB to figure that one out!

Old Member

Wait..... are we doing away with the school for a lomger enduro? thats selfish..what about the new kid on the block...the young are the future of the sport and life in general. hey I have no say but I have to protect the new kids on the block....

If I am wrong then I mis-took the comments about the school.

You as leaders you can come up with a solution, all we need to do is work together and think about the end result...Money for the region...a school for the new kid on the block and a longer enduro.

we need ideas and you all have them...so PLEASE share them...PLEASE.

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN

soupy

I was just kidding.
I am in NO way in favor of doing away with the school. At the same time I don't understand why the Glen region should continue to loose money running the school when most other regions have no interest in helping run the schools but reap the benifits later from the added entries from the new drivers.
I'm in favor of adding $1 or $5 to every entry in the northeast to go to the drivers school fund. Then that money could be administrated at the divisional level. Maybe a divisional panel to work out a schedule for the tracks, what regions will be in charge of the event. Then move it around each year.
Or something like that.
We need to do something to make the process easier for newcomers to get started.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

edzeb

Soupy,

My point exactly. Regions that have continued to put on schools have shouldered the burden of work and absorbed the costs so that others racing regions can reap the benefits of entries. The burden needs to be spread across the regions.
--Ed...

Fastbenz

Region: CNY
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Fastbenz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Fastbenz

Region: CNY
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Fastbenz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do away with the school & make the enduro longer. Sat qualify 8:30 -9:15 Race 10-4 Lower entry fee hopefully more entries
Still keep the regional Sunday ?

FastM3 Verified Driver

Car #: 38
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Three to four hours is a good length for an Enduro. Not too long or hard on the equipment and not too boring for the crew. If it is longer I think you will actually loose entries for the weekend.

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

edzeb

In the past we found a 'dividing line' between those who ran 0-4hr Enduros and those who ran 5+ ones. Not that one is better than the other......just two different audiences....

soupy

Ed correct me if I am wrong but the Glen employees will not work through lunch time??
AGAIN,, We need to fix the school problem not just make them go away.

Is there any SCCA school in the country that makes money on a regular basis?

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

edzeb

WGI requires 12-1pm for shutdown, and you cannot purchase that hour, period.

As for schools that breakeven or make money? It all depends on your event costs. If a region has a good relationship with a track and deals are struck, then a region has a chance to make it.

NOTE: I am NOT talking about how region's package their school with other events (IE: the Last Chance DS/END/REG), because a region could look at their entire season and say "we lost no money this year on a whole, so the school is good".
What I am saying is that schools when reviewed financially on their own are losses, and those regions that have continued to host them for good of ALL REGIONS are having to bare an unfair burden.....

soupy

My point is that anything longer than a 4 hour is out. So What do we do with the morning hours if no school. Now the prices for the enduro will have to go up? Not the right direction.

I was asking for school ONLY not losing money.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

BERG Racer Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for BERG Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well if we did away with the regions and ran all of the NE races from a divisional level then there wouldn't be any of this stupid region v region bickering, which seems to be flash point for many of the problems in first place.

--------------------
http://www.bergmotorsports.com/index.php

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: