Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North-East » Congratulations to all on a great SM MARRS season

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Congratulations to all on a great SM MARRS season
Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to Ken Zalner for a hard fought championship. Congratulations to Kevin Kopp for keeping it as close it can be.

To clarify any rumors, Ken and Kevin tied at 2500 points. They both had exactly the same number of first and second place finishes, Ken won the champion by having three 3rd place finishes to Kevin's one.

Scott Brunk Finishes the season in 3rd, after coming into the weekend in virtual 3 way tie for the championship.

Another rumor: Yes I protested, Ken, Kevin and Scott for extensive technical inspections. I withdrew Scott's after the races as he was no longer in contention for the championship. The cars were impounded over night and the inspection was done after the race. BOTH CARS were found compliant. All of the competitors involved thanked me for the action and wanted it to be known that the cars were legal.

I want to thank John Nesbitt for commitment to us to be our SM Series Steward this year. What a great thing that turned out to be. John PLEASE consider coming back next year!!!!

More to follow just want to get the thread started.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Kenny... and certainly Big Z and Bret as well.

Glad to hear that everything was clean at the front of the grid. Sounds like some awesome racing... looking at the Q results, top 10 less than a second spread? Wow.

To all the MARRS historians, how does this championship rank?

Is Scott bored in SSM yet? [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

ctkellett Verified Driver
http://www.syncspeedinc.com

Region: Phila
Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Kenny,

Way to get up on the wheel kid!

An other MARRS championship, to a class act.

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Ken, Kevin and Scott. Great race and great season. Its always more fun for the rest of us when there is DRAMA all the way to the finish!

Thanks to the Meathead family for the season of challenge. A lot of hard work and fun and reward!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry I couldnt stay longer, I was able to catch the last few laps. Family was wanted to go, so I had to run.
Congrats kenny!

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Ray Kopp

Region: WDCR
Car #: 6
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ray Kopp   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to Kenny, Brian and Brett on yet another MAARS Championship! No one hates to lose more than we do, but losing to true competitors like you takes out some of the sting. Sitting in tech yesterday with Brian while they counted points he and I agreed that no matter how it turns out we can say both teams gave absolutely everything they had. I doubt we will ever race again with competitors that raced us as fiercely, cleanly, with determination and with as much respect as you folks. Personally, I will miss that and I will not soon, or likely ever, forget this season.

--------------------
Ray Kopp
Kopp Motorsports
Great Falls, VA
Piper Motorsport/King Rat Motorsports
http://koppmotorsports.blogspot.com

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A big Huge congrats on the podium to the Championship you guys worked hard for it and had your share of struggles [thumbsup]

As far as the rest of the field it looked like a pretty good season lots of personal best lap times and drivers working on racecraft skill not to mention a lot of drivers (maybe with [soapbox] John Nesbitt's help) have cleaned up the contact. [group hug]

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We sat on Beale Street a number of years ago talking about what it takes to go SM racing at the top level. Having assisted Chip Herr in his start culminating with a 1-2 finish at the ARRC, many drivers and Dads were calling on me for help. Like others who came to Memphis to visit me or live here that I got started (Drago, Tom Long, Jason Saini etc...) the Zaalner brothers were full of enthusiasm and grit, which I loved.

I'm not sure how much I really helped any of those folks, perhaps the learning curve was lessened. I do know that with each of them and many other I gained friends that I cherish.

The dynamics in DC as it relates to me are complex as I have great friends on all sides of everything (CW, MC, RP). I've driven for Meathead and just this year recruited him for the NASA tech gig, consulted the Zalners and Chris W., kicked it with the bald man at RP and fought with dear friend Connie. While all that was underway Mike was busy making Ken honest at home in this hard owned championship. The hats one wears, right...... Off topic, while the inter-region issues were flaming neither Meathead or the Zalners had a single negative comment to me about the other, nor has anyone, true professionals.

I could go on here but since I'm getting a bit chocked up over the immense camaraderie felt in this class (not just in FL [Wink] ) I will get to my point.

Having seen first hand Ken's talent level, it is no surprise he is successful. Dedication, passion, determination and the ability to "bounce on the bottom" are all traits of a true road racing champion and Ken has those attributes falling out of his pockets.

Ken, you are the most prim example of a true road racer. In my endeavors should I be asked who to call on to make the jump to the big series, you are on a very short list. My only regret for you was that I never got to see you race in the MX5 Cup series, a place you would have surely joined the ladder system alumni.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!

On a side note, Ken would not be near the talent he is less a trusty over protective brother and shoe man in his own right. BZ, I have the utmost admiration for you! Jack saves lives but so does fish, veggies, water and red wine...... [Wink]

Keep the round ones down where ever you two land!

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Z73 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: 042
Car #: 73
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z73     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What can I say, this was an incredible season. In all of my years of racing I have been involved in a lot of close championship battles but this one takes the cake. A big congrats goes to Kevin, Ray and the entire Kopp Motorsports team for what was truly a special and memorable season. You guys have the never say die attitude and never let anything keep you down. Kevin and I raced very hard against each other and spent most of the season running door to door and you could never tell it by looking at the cars. I have a lot of respect for how you handled yourselves and took all the bad with the good this season. It has been a blast and it is something I am really going to miss. To have it come down to the third tiebreaker is something I don't think anybody will see for a long time.

I need to thank a lot of people that have made this season even possible. Billy & Rich from Performance Auto Works, what can I say but thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything that you have done for me. It has been an honor and privilege to drive the #73 and race the PAW power plant underneath the hood of the car. Not only are they the strongest engines that I have every piloted, but they have been protested twice now and have been 100% compliant.

Bret and TJ at RP Performance what can I say but you guys have saved me more than once and have always given me all the tools needed to preform at a top level. TJ a big thanks goes out to you for saving the season in qualifying for finding the problem and getting me back out there in enough time to get a starting spot.

Kevin and Scott it has been a blast racing with both of you this season and over the years. You BOTH are deserving champions and conducted yourselves that way on and off the track all year.

JD, you have done a ton for this class and racing community and helped me in a lot of areas over the years. Your friendship and advice is something that I have always appreciated and enjoyed. If you remember correctly, you are the reason I got into this class. I was watching the SM race at the ARRC and your driving impressed me and made me want to go to SM so I could have a chance to push myself against the best. I will never forget the day at the Peabody.....that will go down in history as one of the best nights.

Joe Plunkett thank you for your support, help and belief in me over the years. Jim Thill, thank you for everything over the years (especially all the cold beer;) you have been a strong presence in my racing since even before I did my very first race.

T-Money, Frank, Wible, Vin Diesel and all the RP/PAW teammates I have enjoyed the camaraderie over the years.....I have made a ton of friendships that will last a life time.

Last but certainly not least.....Big Z, thank you. This one is for you!!!! You have given up many years of your life for me so I could be the best I could be. I can finally say after all these years we are even for all the mean things that you did to me growing up [Wink] Okay, after thinking about it I owe you big time. Thank you for always being there.

I tried to keep this short, but I think I failed miserably [Smile] After 11 storybook seasons I need to take a break and watch from the sidelines. I will still be around going through your coolers so don't think I am going to disappear.

On 10/10/10 I was able to win my 10th championship and not a single one of them would have been possible without the assistance, support and belief of the people I mentioned above. Thank you all.

Z73 over and out!!!!

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

10 championships? God bless. Give someone else a chance buddy.

Cheers!

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats on the championship. It's folks like the Zalners, Kopps, and teams like Brimtek, King Rat, Windsor, Meathead and RP that inspire me to drive better in SM. See y'all next year!

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Jason Meise Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: Lone Star / Washington DC
Car #: 54
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Meise     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All of this and no one said Hi to their family at home.

Good job everyone it is amazing with entry numbers down everywhere the DC Region SM and SSM classes are still booming. It is a testament all the people involved.

Congrats to Kenny, Bret and Brian on the Championship

--------------------
Jason Meise
2001 MARRS Champion
http://www.ctbrakes.com
President: Bobby Carter's "washed up race car driver club"
we're always looking for "old" members

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats on the championship Kenny. You earned it on Sunday for sure. Top 6 qualifiers within 4/10's, top ten within 1 second. The Sunday race was a hard fought one.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Waterboy:
Congrats on the championship Kenny. You earned it on Sunday for sure. Top 6 qualifiers within 4/10's, top ten within 1 second. The Sunday race was a hard fought one.

Tim
You looked pretty good on Sunday, I thought you were going to pull it off! I don't care what neil and Collins say about you [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
I don't care what neil and Collins say about you [Wink] [/QB]

Me either [Smile]

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Big Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Big Member

Region: DC
Car #: 72
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Big Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow...what a season!!!

Filled with ups and downs, highs and lows for all 3 of the the championship contenders...

I just wanted to say congrats to Scott, Kevin and Ken...you three were incredible all season long...each of you deserving of the title...

Super big thank you goes out to our teammates Billy and Rich of Performance Auto Works...and Bret and T.J. of RP Performance....you guys never ever quit and when the going got tough (and believe me it did) you guys just dug deeper and deeper...a true testament to what real teamwork is all about...There is no doubt in my mind that this 10th championship would not have been possible if it weren't for every single one of you!

Thank you to all of our racing teammates and friends for your support and congratulations...this one will be cherished for quite some time....

As Ken had mentioned we are going to take a much needed break....this season has no doubt made quite a few gray hairs turn up...so I had to dye them blonde...lol...

We'll be around to support and cheer the rest of you on next year...

Hope everyone has a great off season and everyone gets some much needed rest....Lord knows I need it!!!! I'm going into hibernation... [Wink]

Stay cool everyone,

Z

--------------------
Brian Zalner AKA: Big Z
Like a boss...
RP Performance / Director of Mktg.
http://www.rpperformanceracing.com
http://performanceautoworkswv.com/services.html

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: