Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North-East » Spec Miata Racing

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Spec Miata Racing
George B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is my first post. Hello to all the members.
I have attended 3 SCDA events and would like to get into Spec Miata Racing for 2011. Any help would be much appreciated. How do I sign up? license needed, what is best year for a car?
Again any input would help.

George

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Budget,Budget,Budget...depending on what yours is and your level of mechanical skill and desire to work on a car will determine the direction you can or want to take. Your local area...wherever that is...should have an SCCA driving school which you can attend to get your license(NASA school also?). If you don't have time to build a race ready car rent one for the school. You can also pay big bucks to attend a professional school and achieve the same thing. Any year car will be fine...unless of course you read all the threads on this site which will make your head spin like Linda Blair in the Exorcist [Eek!] Best thing would be to buy a race ready car...but if your handy and want to know exactly what you have when you get on track then look for a donor and start building! If your super competative and have always felt you should be in a faster run group( [Big Grin] ), then buy the best car money can buy(a few guys here will sell you one [yep] )and run flat out. Otherwise don't worry about buying a car(or year)that will guarentee you the front but spend a lot of your budget on track time and good coaching!!

Welcome and be prepared to have a lot of fun on and off the track [thumbsup]

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

George B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ron,

Thanks for the advise. I plan on buying a race ready car that is competitive. But with just 3 track days under my belt, I'm realizing that seat time is number one. I need to find out how to get a license and get started. I'll research the SCCA driving schools.

Thanks,
GB

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

George,

I see you posted in your region so I'm sure someone will chime in on school info. You can always contact your local SCCA...maybe your best bet. On the west coast(SFR)the school is always held at the beginning of the season(Feb/March) before the first race weekend(April). We just completed our first season with a completely original car(58k on everything...including motor)that dynoed at 106hp. We finished in the top half of every race(average field of 50 cars)being pretty down on power. Seat time will get you further along much quicker than an expensive car. Plus you learn to be quicker and safer all at the same time with the right coach. Keeps your family happy and your expense budget down when all you have to do between track days is park the car!

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

George:

If you can talk to Ian and elvian who run scda. They are regular front runners in sm and ssm can point you in the right direction.

You also said it best........seat time, seat time, seat time.

My opinion is buy a car (some will say rent), do as many hpde days as you can and go for your license. If you get your license through skip barber then do at least one scca school to get a feel for things.

As for what year car to buy......it's a constant debate. What I will say is that if you weigh more than 170 lbs it may be more difficult to get down to weight in a 1.6l car.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

getting a license is easy, Join SCCA, apply for novice permit and sign up and do the "school events" there are several every spring. Or do one of the SCCA accredited schools like Skip Barber. Signing up for races is done through the NESCCA.com website http://www.nescca.com/registration/
Its all very easy once you know where to go.

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

George B

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Alan:
George,

I see you posted in your region so I'm sure someone will chime in on school info. You can always contact your local SCCA...maybe your best bet. On the west coast(SFR)the school is always held at the beginning of the season(Feb/March) before the first race weekend(April). We just completed our first season with a completely original car(58k on everything...including motor)that dynoed at 106hp. We finished in the top half of every race(average field of 50 cars)being pretty down on power. Seat time will get you further along much quicker than an expensive car. Plus you learn to be quicker and safer all at the same time with the right coach. Keeps your family happy and your expense budget down when all you have to do between track days is park the car!

Thanks Ron for the great advice.

George B

quote:
Originally posted by Vick:
George:

If you can talk to Ian and elvian who run scda. They are regular front runners in sm and ssm can point you in the right direction.

You also said it best........seat time, seat time, seat time.

My opinion is buy a car (some will say rent), do as many hpde days as you can and go for your license. If you get your license through skip barber then do at least one scca school to get a feel for things.

As for what year car to buy......it's a constant debate. What I will say is that if you weigh more than 170 lbs it may be more difficult to get down to weight in a 1.6l car.

Hope this helps.

Vick,

Ian and Elvian are great guys. Ian has a 1994 car for sale. I'm thinking about a 1999 or newer car. I'm 200 lbs so I'm not sure about the 1.61 car.

George B

quote:
Originally posted by kevin 22:
getting a license is easy, Join SCCA, apply for novice permit and sign up and do the "school events" there are several every spring. Or do one of the SCCA accredited schools like Skip Barber. Signing up for races is done through the NESCCA.com website http://www.nescca.com/registration/
Its all very easy once you know where to go.

Thanks Kevin. The little things to you guys that race are big for us new guys. Every thing is new to me. I'm taking baby steps,but want to get behind the wheel and practice right away.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The schools are generally as follows around here:

Summit Point - mid-March
NJMP - late March
NHMS - early May
LRP - mid-June

Did I miss any?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:

Did I miss any?

Yup, NHMS is July for 2011 [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jerry

NER88 Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

George
I would suggest an early car.
They can be had for little money, learn to drive it, beat it up, then sell it for what you paid and then decide which car you really want.
I have owned and raced all years and have gone back to a 1.6, it's the best and most fun to drive! And parts are cheaper!

--------------------
Jerry

George B

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
The schools are generally as follows around here:

Summit Point - mid-March
NJMP - late March
NHMS - early May
LRP - mid-June

Did I miss any?

Thanks CP

George B

quote:
Originally posted by NER88:
George
I would suggest an early car.
They can be had for little money, learn to drive it, beat it up, then sell it for what you paid and then decide which car you really want.
I have owned and raced all years and have gone back to a 1.6, it's the best and most fun to drive! And parts are cheaper!

What year is best for the 1.6? What is a good price to pay?

NER88 Verified Driver

Not really much difference year to year.
Depending on what is on the car, I would say under $10K

--------------------
Jerry

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by NER88:
Not really much difference year to year.
Depending on what is on the car, I would say under $10K

I'd say $7- 9K on average for a decent 1.6 car. It won't likely have current podium finishes at that price, but you want seat time and the less you spend for the car, the more you'll have to race it with!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Before you buy, get it up on a lift so you can get a good look at the frame rails. Check the rockers for waves. Flip through all logbooks for the car to see if there was any major crash damage at any point in it's racing life. Look for new paint inside the trunk towards the rear.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: