Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » PBIR Double SARRC

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: PBIR Double SARRC
Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just returned from PBIR where we had over 40 SM's for the double SARRC.

Congrats to Todd Buras who was the class of the field all weekend, qualifying on pole both times and finishing with two bullets.

Podium Race 1 - Buras, Blanchard, Tucker, (I think - I was so far behind I didnt see the finishing order - sorry if I got it wrong!)

Podium Race 2 - Buras, Blanchard, Steyn. Really sorry I couldnt hang with Cliff and Todd as they had a real ding-dong race, swapping the lead every lap, right until the checker.

John Adamczyk was always a contender, and Andrew Charbonneau made a surprise showing in Race 2, but seemed to have some tire/setup issues. Andrew - I saw a massive 4-wheel slide through the kink in my mirror around lap 3 or 4 - very impressive stuff.

Unfortunately Robbie Kollar had an incident with the wall at the kink. Car was dinged, but not too badly. Front wheel fractured.

Congrats to both Chris Fulton and George Munson who ran really strong and had their best finishes ever in the SARRC's. George thanks for the help in Q1 and the pointers!!!

Thanks to Glenn and Tim at OPM for getting my car setup dialed in on Sunday.

1.6's ruled on this tight track. First 3 on Saturday, first 2 on Sunday.

Conditions - Very Hot and Humid. In fact, it was the hottest April 4th on record! Actual track surface temps were well over 110F. As we now know, PBIR is an exceptionally abrasive track. Managing your tires was key to consistent laps.

Interestingly, no-one up front at impound had anything bad to say about the R888's. Everyone pretty much said that you had to learn them, and once you had done your homework you were good. [Smile]

I raced a set for two practice sessions, and three 15 lap SARRCS, and they had also seen time at VIR and CMP (although only on a damp track).

I have no agenda on the tire brand or model. I like them all. Just want a spec tire, whatever it is. I do not want an open tire, as this will dramatically increase costs as we try to find out what tire works best at each track.

I suspect that the tire wear is increased compared to RA-1's, but only somewhat. Not a huge amount. Still gathering data.

So thats the race report guys. Great seeing everyone out there. Sure others will chime in with their observations.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

PEATMOSS

Region: BUCCANNEER #34
Car #: 46
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PEATMOSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] Congrats Danny, another podium, for the "Man"
Congrat also to Todd, Glad to see your back in miata land.

--------------------
PETER BOGART
REGION 34
"The home of Roebling Road"

robbiek Verified Driver

Region: atl
Car #: 22
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for robbiek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LOL. Yeah that is one way of looking at it.

First off, I second almost all of the props Danny handed out and would love to add in the fact that Mr. Steyn himself drove a hell of a weekend! Great job!!!

Ummm....now about that "Unfortunately Robbie Kollar had an incident with the wall at the kink. Car was dinged, but not too badly. Front wheel fractured. "

Let me clarify that one a bit... and this is prior to even getting the car on the lift.... 3 of my 4 wheels are broken. The front right is completely destroyed and in 20 pieces. The roof is buckled, control arms are broken, frame rails are on new paths, suspension is mangled and the car will not roll period. The front bumper and all panels on the right side are toast and the left is still to be determined. The impact literally broke my camcorder yet it stayed on its mount. The Porsche Headlight Decals are 100% perfect still!!! Woo Hooo!!

I did not just "find my way" to the wall all by myself either. I was very painfully and rather savagely broadside smashed by another car who could not keep himself on track in a very tight spot. It was as if a giant punted me. I will not call you out *yet* here on this forum but if you are reading this you need to contact me directly and very soon. My cell is (770) 355-0282 and my email is robbiekollar@mac.com. You certainly know who you are.

No, George-not you. Sorry to have brought you into that process. I will buy you a beer.

Now here is the R-E-A-L-L-Y Scary part... When the ride stopped I did what we do the second we regain our senses after an off or a crash, I looked for the corner workers. They are our best friends, they are our guardians and they are even our angels. They are always the first ones on scene to see if we are OK (or conscious-or alive) and help us do what needs to be done to keep us safe when the sht hits the fan.

Not with the Florida Region at PBIR though!!! YES- you read that right. No one! NONE. Had I been unconscious, on fire, unable to move or more seriously injured it would have been up to our fellow racers to have literally pulled over and helped me had they even noticed. There were cars literally coming right at me the rest of the race and a few via the grass from the Chicane. There were no holes in the fence to escape to and again, no corner workers pointing a way to safety. Later when I was with the Chief Steward he gave me the race report log. This was when the reality of all this sunk in. There were two lines related to my car. "Blue Car parked off track outside of turn 3. This was called in from the turn 4 corner workers 200 yards away!! They did not know why and they did not see the impact. Not their issue as they had to keep eyes on turn 4. The other was a notation about me walking back up towards pit row (outta no where because they had no idea where I had come from) when the tow truck was loading up my mangled heap. I was literally in some kind of a blind spot due to an understaffed event. I was VERY lucky. As was every other racer who took the track this weekend. This is a bit of a terrifying reality to say the least and the Chief Steward, Grumpy, was equally as shaken up when this became clear to him as well. Scary shit isn't it?

Prior to all that it really was a fun weekend. Glad I didn't die in my car while the Florida Region ran their skeleton crew. Sorry for calling you out like that FL Region, but someone within this region truly deserves it. That should NEVER- NEVER-NEVER happen at an SCCA event- PERIOD!!

See you all in a month or so I hope.

Robbie

--------------------
-Robbie Kollar

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Podium Race 1 - Buras, Blanchard, Tucker, (I think - I was so far behind I didnt see the finishing order - sorry if I got it wrong!)

Podium Race 1, P2 goes to Tucker in this race I was in P3.

Congrats to Todd Buras, in Race 2 on Sunday, I threw everything I had at him for the last 4 laps, switching leads 8+ times back and forth coming down to the last turn, last lap, door to door, and crossing S/F with me coming up 6' short.
Special thanks to Chip VanVurst, Andrew Charboneau, Jamie Tucker and Jeff LaBounty for the coaching and instruction over the last few months.

Danny was catching us for the first 4 laps then it seemed that the heavier 99' cars seem to start "cooking" the tires making handling an issue.

All in All one of the most fun weekends in a long time.

One quick note worth mentioning, during lunch, Jamie Tucker decided to go to the autocross meet next door with his #97 SM. [Big Grin] , He took first by over 4 seconds to some high dollar Porsche and BMW owners.

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Robbie... sucks to see the turbo get torn up like that, at least you don't have to re-align the headlight decals. Glad you are ok. Very scary indeed, be interesting to hear more about this.

One thing about cutout holes.. that is not controlled by SCCA unless SCCA owns the track. We have been trying to get holes in the middle of the fencing drivers left in the esses at Road Atlanta since it was put up, no dice.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Cliffy Chains

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like a very hard impact, that was alot of damage. Glad to hear you are OK.

--------------------
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

robbiek Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for robbiek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Cliff. Nice getting to know you this weekend too. That was fun watching you guys flog the Solo I course too. Did a lot better than that M3! Ouch! Awesome racing too. Loved that first lap line in through the chicane this afternoon. I couldn't stop laughing about that. :-) Wanna see a cross section of those wheels we like so much? Have quite a few pieces I could send you. LOL.

Yeah I hear you on the holes Lance. At that point I was just looking for an escape route if it got too spooky sitting there. Thanks for the words too. You know me man, I don't usually leave much out. That whole worker thing really was as screwy as it sounded but nothing you really even think about until after the fact.

--------------------
-Robbie Kollar

Cliffy Chains

quote:
Originally posted by robbiek:
[QB] Wanna see a cross section of those wheels we like so much? Have quite a few pieces I could send you. LOL.

Emilio @ 949 racing I bet would like to have a look at one of his wheels shattered to pieces like that. You thinking safety issue at all??

As far as the left turn at the start, It looked alot faster just to go STRAIGHT !! some bumping in the braking zone on the start, but I did give the position back after T9. "Damn cones"

let me know what you think about the wheels?

--------------------
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Robbie -

Sorry to hear the full extent of the damage to your car - I was very surprised that they didn't throw a double-yellow to get your car out of what was surely a potential target zone. Turn 1 became almost non-existent when the cones were redistributed, and I punted one in the middle of turn 3.

For me it was an OK weekend; I think I'm starting to figure out the 888's (barely) but my personal opinion is that they still trail the RA1's for grip. The track, or more importantly the paddock is an issue though. We were setup beyond the perma-tent in the dirt and grass by pit-out; it's gonna take a couple of days to clean and scrub all the black dirt and dust off EVERYTHING. Until PBIR makes some improvements I may have run my last event there, unless I can get there on the test day to get a better parking spot.

Regardless, congrats to the podium finishers - as a mid-packer I couldn't see anything going on up front, but had a great time dicing it up with Alex Bize on Sunday! [thumbsup]

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

ROBERT NETTLES-72

Region: cfr
Car #: 72
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ROBERT NETTLES-72   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wanted to say thank you to Jeff Labounty for setting up my car. The car felt like it was on a rail. I felt like we had a car to win with(the lonesome 99). If our motor had not developed a large hole in the side of it on the 4th lap of the first race I think we would have stayed up front for the duration of the race. All in all we still had a good time at the track thanks to the whole AutoTechnik team, those guys are a trip! Special props go to our solo champ Jamie Tucker, I dont think ill be buying a porche anytime soon!!

--------------------
www.racecoveralls.com

Chris Fulton

Region: CFR
Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Danny, I am really stoked on getting better!

Thanks George for helping me with the car set-up!!!!!

I was directly behind Robbies crash and it looked scary,glad you are OK! I saw your car on the flat bed, OUCH!

By the last race on Sunday I was on the 16th heat cycled R888's. They started at 4/32. One tire is done, 3 are still usable.

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Had some good racing both days with everyone, it was nice to finally get to hang out and talk racing with some guys I have been racing with for a while. Got to say the biggest laugh I had all weekend was after I heard some commotion on the kart track and saw the #97 of Jamie "drift king" Tucker tearing up the autocross!

So who's going to Roebling?

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was a pretty good weekend but the highlight was definitely putting a Spec Miata up against some of the fastest cars in the world on a go cart track. The event was put on by Braman Auto for all of their customers; all of which had new Porsches, BMWs, Minis and the like. The sad thing is my old beater was 5 seconds faster than the closest competitor. Many of the other Miata drivers were laughing at the pretty peoples driving skills while yelling that my times were done with 115HP. They would not give me the trophy because it was going to hurt the second fastest persons feelings. I didn't care I just thought it was even funnier. I do want to say congratulations to a few drivers that have been working real hard to improve their driving. Clff Blanchard ran real well all weekend and really deserved 2 podium finishes. Also George Munson and Chris Fulton did a great job and were a pleasure to race with. Congrats guys!!!!

[ 04-07-2009, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Jamie Tucker ]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the kind words Danny, Chris, and Jamie

A Big Thanks,

To the OPM crew of Tim and Glen, your support is always outstanding.

Bob Thornton your "RE Power" allowed me to make the pass of my career going into turn 1 and to have my best finishes at a SARRC.

Stu from BSI saved my hood from flying open and provided the pit decorations for the weekend.

Todd Buras, what can I say. You are nothing but class. Not only as a driver on the track, but a true gentleman in the pits. Your willingness to help, share data and offer kind words in the end blew me away. [thumbsup]

Jamie Tucker always willing to share, and great to run with. Robert Nettles and Cliff Blanchard, you guys ran great what little I got to see of you. I enjoyed all the close, non-contact racing with John Adamczyk, Erik Brumme, Jamie Tucker, Chris Fulton, Robbie Kollar, and Danny Steyn.

Chris Fulton, great job and thank your family for the support and food.

Danny Steyn, I was worried about you at the beginning of the weekend. Great rebound and it was nice to see that smile back on your face. Your wife is a peach.

Robbie, it took a man admit I wasn't the cause of your crash. It took a bigger man to track me down via phone 400 miles away and not let another day of hard feelings go by without putting this to bed. Yes, I'll have that beer with you at Daytona.

To the Florida Region, other than a few minor kinks I thought you guys did a wonderful job.

Thanks to my wife and daughter for putting up with my crazy dreams.

This sport has a lot of highs and lows and as long we remember that this is for fun and treat each other with respect I'll keep coming back and Thank God we live in a country where we can still have this much Fun.

George Munson
[Big Grin]

Krys Dean

Region: Florida
Car #: 44
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Krys Dean   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You know, I was not going to respond to Robbie’s' post, he is obviously and understandably upset about his car and I agree that the damage was pretty extensive (as tech Steward I had to inspect the car in impound), but he will fix it and race it again. What I have a problem with is the statement about Florida Regions staffing, If Robbie had taken the time to find out, he would have realized that what he was saying was absolute BULL SHIT, we were NOT understaffed, especially on the corners, and the fences that Robbie could not get through to get behind the wall??? Well Florida Region workers may be able to “dodge bullets and fly faster than a speeding train”, but they can’t leap over twelve foot fences, they couldn’t have gotten to you if they were allowed to.

PBIR is an FIA track, not an SCCA track, FIA makes the rules, not Florida Region and their rules are simple, incident response is done by fire/rescue, Region workers are NOT ALLOWED on a hot track. As to how “Scary” it must have been sitting there with cars rushing by, I can sympathize, we have all been there, but the bottom line is that the corner Captain felt the car was in a safe place, the driver was not injured, using that information the Operating Steward elected to continue the race and tow you after the checker was out, you may not agree with his judgment, but it seems to have been the right call. Now to the race log and the “two lines” about Robbie’s car, what should they have put in the log? Your car is blue, it was sitting on the outside of turn three and they probably couldn’t see you’re number, the incident WAS written up by the corner captain. And just for your information, Grumpy was NOT the Chief Steward, K P Jones was. The person you should have been talking to was the Operating Steward for your group; his name was announced at the drivers meeting.

IF there was an error in the way your incident was handled, (and I don’t believe there was), it was not caused by a “shortage of staffing” or any mistake on the part of the Corner Workers, they did everything they were allowed/supposed to do, you should be talking to the Operating Steward (FYI, Stewards are assigned by the Executive Steward for SEDIV, and are NOT representatives of the hosting Region). Robbie, You owe Florida Region and the Florida Region corner workers an apology.

--------------------
Krys Dean

Krys Dean

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Krys Dean   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is an addendum to the post regarding Robbie’s incident at PBIR.

The hosting Region plans events, provides corner workers, timing and scoring, Tech and equipment, but once the Event actually starts it is completely under the control of the Stewards. The Chief Steward is the Chief executive officer for the event, the operating Stewards work directly for the Chief Steward and run the individual races, the Safety Steward oversees Safety and Safety personnel (although at FIA tracks he has little input) and The SOM is a group of Stewards who are responsible for reconciling protests and appeals (a court). These Stewards RUN the event, the Region has absolutely no input or control from the start time of the event until the last checker has flown. The Region is just along for the ride. So the next time you decide to trash a Region for the way a race was run, stop and think about who was REALLY responsible. And if you truly want to make a difference, learn how our club actually works, it may surprise you to know how things get done and who does them.

--------------------
Krys Dean

tburas Verified Driver Series Champ
SM

Region: 003
Car #: 56
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What a great weekend. I got to know some of the guys in SM and had a great time doing it. Denny and George thanks for the kind words; I really enjoyed getting to know everyone again; Denny making my own Sandwich really is not that bad... [Wink]
I plan on running local events that sound fun, anyone who has traqmate and wants my data, bring a thumb drive…
Cliff….What a race! That was the most fun I have had in a Miata in a long time. The last 4 laps door to door, I am looking forward to Mylaps coming out, I could not have won by more than a transponder…
Robbie, hate to see what happened to the car. I have no idea what, who, why or how your incident happened, but I think we all need to remember these weekends are to be fun.
It cost everyone a lot of time, energy and money, especially with the new tire. Not to mention the hard work all the volunteers, stewards, corner workers go through so we can race. THANK YOU…. Leaving the track with a damaged car sucks, especially because someone was in a rush to make a low percentage pass. I think it’s a shame because we all can race door to door and not make contact.

--------------------
[URL=http://www.toddburas.com]
//East Street Auto//Traqmate//SafeRacer//

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Todd
you think that you are looking forward to the data on mylaps???? I am so hoping to have one green lap in race 2!!!!!!! So tired of all the pink laps!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Krys... what information did the corner worker have to let him/her know that the driver was ok?

Robbie, how did you let the corner captain know you were ok?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Krys Dean

I think I am going to let the F&C people answer that question Kent, they have indicated that no less than three corners were involved and I heard the calls myself in tech, and they have also indicated that they want to make some posts here. Again, the bottom line is that it was the Operating Stwards call, the same thing happened to me at Daytona, the corner workers got to me out of the car OK, but the fire truck with water was on the other side of the hot track, and could not cross so my car sat there and burned. It wasn't the fault of the corner workers, if not for them I don't think I could have gotten out of the car at all.

--------------------
Krys Dean

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thar's awful, Krys. I know I'd want to see my race red-flagged before I watched a friend's car burn to the ground, especially if there is any question of extrication. And I know I'd be suggesting a red flag to control if I was captain of the corner: "Car 88 silver on fire. Driver in burning car, request backup with fire truck now!"

Yep, no hesitation on that one.

--------------------

Krys Dean

I did talk to the Captains of both turn four and turn one, Turns 2 and 3 are not manned because there is no flag station (or anyplace to put one) at either of those turns, the Corner Captain at 4 said he got an "I am OK" signal from the driver and the Operating Steward felt that with only two laps remaining the car could be covered by yellow flags. The one note both corners made was that the driver got out of the car and stood near the wall, in a situation like that, if the car is not in flames and even as hot as it was on Sunday, you should always stay in the car, belted up with all equipment on. pain in the backside, I know, but that is the safest place for you to be. This thread has taken on a life of its own, and has been beaten to a pulp. Robbie may believe he was treated unfairly, but it wasn't by our workers, he still owes Florida Region and The great Florida Region workers an apology, and just a tip from someone who has been there, check your facts before you shoot from the LIP.

--------------------
Krys Dean

robbiek Verified Driver

First off Krys... those around here that know me very well also know that I am the first one to humbly say "I was not aware of that and may have had the wrong impression" and mean it. I'm not new at this and sometimes racing just sucks but I walked away and my car will be rebuilt. That's racing. My ONE and ONLY CONCERN about this whole thing is one of safety for my fellow racers in the future. I walked away from this one but what happens the next time this happens in that spot in future races and someone is not so lucky???? I've raced tracks all over the country and am just used to seeing workers on the scene of an incident usually faster than it took me to even realize there even was an incident. This includes times where I WAS the incident and times I saw them happen. I guess I am just not used to the idea of workers literally not being allowed to assist due to FIA track rules. That too is unnerving. I can not for a second imagine what you felt watching your car burn at Daytona. WOW!

I am going further but wanted to address Kent's question first...

"Robbie, how did you let the corner captain know you were ok?"

I didn't. I didn't even see a corner captain, or any workers at all for that matter. I thought I might be able to see the Starter tower but could not. I did see the turn 4 workers but as I mentioned in my original post, they were pretty far away and doing diligent duty on their own corner. Eventually I dropped my net to wave to Todd and Danny since I knew they were on comms with our crew so maybe that is what the captain saw. But on the same note, I had just hit a cement wall sideways at 80mph and knocked the living crap out of myself so how clear are we really thinking when that happens? I didn't see fire in the car but wasn't going to hop out and run around and look. What happens to the next guy who goes of there like that the next time and isn't so lucky? This was a new configuration for this track and this particular segment was quite different than it was in past.

Back to Krys... my commentary on what was or wasn't reported was based solely 100% on the log that Grumpy handed me when I was with him after the race. Keep in mind I had nothing else to base this on and no other available information on hand. I had just taken a pretty solid whack with cement and was back and forth with the ambulance and generally walking around in a daze (and being driven by KP the Angel of air conditioning) dealing with paperwork from fire and rescue, medical and other from the minute I got off the track. Going off on a detective mission to question the log he handed me really never entered my mind. Regardless of specific title, he was still a race official and when you are sitting in the principal's office you tend to think his word is bond. He is also the one who brought up the "understaffed" term and specifically mentioned the race in St. Pete that pulled a lot of people away.

In no way did I ever slight the corner workers and the job they do as you implied. You really need to tone that back and reconsider what you are implying. I made it VERY clear how I feel about corner workers in my initial post and have never wavered from that position. My one and only true beef with this worker situation should be the same one that would wake up any racer in a cold sweat in the middle of the night. That is, I really am under the impression that my hit occurred in a place where it could not have been and was not seen. It was behind that large grass embankment and out of line of sight from the starter stand. Do I think it could be a design flaw in the new config of the track? Yes, perhaps it is.

Regarding the opinion of the OS, sure that can always be questioned in any incident and in this particular case I am not challenging that at all. I was never hit while sitting there and it all worked out fine so I have no issue there at all. Opinion or not though, I have no obligation to sit in one spot and wait to get tagged by any one of the several cars that came out of turn 3 a little wiggly aiming straight at me. Hence my seeking of fence holes.

So the answer to my final question to you Krys is one that will ultimately define any changes that need to be made in the future for racing at this track. You said you heard from F&C and you heard the calls in tech.... So tell me, was there an exact report of a blue car sliding across the track and making a high speed impact into the wall? If so, why was it not in the log? You asked me what should have been in the log? Well, what I just mentioned would have been about perfect. Is there perhaps another log I did not see? And yes, how did the OS come to the conclusion that I was OK? Again, based on everything I saw, heard and read, there is nothing to support that anyone actually saw the impact. That is my problem with all this.

There is no reason to apologize to the workers because I felt they did an exemplary job. I never said or implied otherwise as well as defended them when questioned later. The med staff, the Fire and Rescue folks, KP driving me around making sure I was alive, and every worker I came in contact with during and after the event. All top notch.

I just believe that due to whatever reason, be it FIA track, Moroso's reconfiguration, or even how things get done and who does them stirred in with the gumbo of hosting regions versus who is really running the event, the ride my little blue fake porsche took went unseen.

So yes, if the Florida Region was only along for the ride with this one, and with every interaction with these folks I had the entire weekend it was nothing less than a pleasure, then I humbly apologize for calling them out like I did as it appears I was going off of erroneous information. I am sorry FL Region.

I don't care about blame here and pointing fingers. I could care less about my car and again, I walked away from this one. I only hope that if this incident attracted some attention from people who can make a change in the future then I and every other driver who may find themselves in the same spot in the future will truly feel a little better and a little bit more safe.

Thank you for pointing some things out that I was not aware of Krys. Next time feel free to do it in a PM of course.

--------------------
-Robbie Kollar

robbiek Verified Driver

It seems a few posts came in before I made my grand reply above. I'm done dealing with this in public so PM is the best route.

Yeah Krys, I got out of the car and your turn 1 and turn 4 accounts are accurate- AFTER the race was over to see if a tow truck was coming. This is when I communicated with turn 1 indicating I was OK and needed a tow. Good grief, is that the "signal" that you keep referring to????

My point has been made. You have now clearly stated that there were no workers on 2 and 3 and now pointing out things that did not even happen until after the race was over.

I am done with this here. The rest of you...sorry for the inconvenience.

--------------------
-Robbie Kollar

Krys Dean

It is a fact Robbie, there were NO WORKERs at turn two and three THERE IS NO PLACE FOR A FLAG STATION AT EITHER OF THOSE TURNS Turn 1 reported a hard crash into the wall and the car off course, requesting that the car be moved, the operating steward ask if the car was in a safe location for two laps, the corner captain said yes if it was covered by yellows, turn four corner captain replied that the driver was out of the car and signaled he was OK, the race continued for TWO laps before the checker was flown. And just to reiterate, there is not nor will there ever be a flag station at turn two or turn three, there is no place to put workers, that is a function of the track, turn 1 and turn four had you in sight at all times, they all knew where you were. I am sorry your car got torn up, but Florida Region and the Florida Region workers had nothing to do with that. If you don't like the track at PBIR, think it is unsafe, don't race it, but don't blame it on the workers or the region, it is what it is. And you are right, I have spent as much time as I intend to spend on this thread, but for your information, when you trash my Region and my Workers in an open forum, don't expect me to reply in a PM.

I am done

--------------------
Krys Dean

Future Never Has Been

Wow... that was enlightening.

--------------------

Cliffy Chains

I think the main thing is that Robbie was OK this time, and in the future he is just trying to make sure that if a driver is hurt or unresponsive that safety would come first. I know if it was any of us in the car, we do not want to interfer with the race, but if someone were to be hurt. ALL of us would stop the race to insure the safety of one of our own. We should all have suggestions at times that may better our sport,

Just my view on the issue, OH' and if possible see if Jamie could get his trophy for SOLO I, he deserved it with all 115HP he had.

--------------------
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thats what I am talking about!!!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Krys Dean

First of all everyone, I apologise for losing my cool, this thing never should have gone this far and it wont go any further on my account. I think Robbie will agree that once he knew the facts, it wasn't quite what he thought it was, and I should have been a little more user friendly myself.

Robbie's car is torn up bad through no fault of his own, and that is a shame, I hope he gets it back up and running soon. And Robbie, I apologise for being so sharp with you, just can't shake that mother hen stuff no matter how hard I try. If you come back to PBIR, stop by the social and I will buy you a beer.

--------------------
Krys Dean

Krys
on behalf of all drivers who come out to play each weekend, thanks to you and your crew of S. FL volunteers for your generous donation of your time. We all get hot and bothered sometime. Just wanted to say that we all appreciate your efforts.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

mr von charbonneau

Car #: any
Year : any
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok I will bite, A. saw the wreck sorry robbie but

boy did you hit hard you went right in the grass
and back across too the wall .thought you would bounce of the wall and back on to the race track nice job at 80 plus mps .
even though your not my best buddie im glad your ok can only remember our first meeting, wanted to punch you out. In what i saw the car was in a safe place for two laps except if jammie tucker was cumming .and when i was trying to get me yellow slip aka my scca drivers permit kp the big cheese was waiting for you and nothing else with true concern I think you should apologize too the workers and drivers we all saw you there
and i slowed up the only person who didnt slow up was todd,cliff b and jamie tucker thats what i saw. heeeee haw

robbiek Verified Driver

Thank you Krys. That means a lot. I appreciate it. Looking forward to the beer at Daytona.

--------------------
-Robbie Kollar

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Robbie,
I'll even go you a second pint at DAB. I'll be back as your friendly SOC ..Pit Steward..
or whatever they decide to call us.
Capt.John

robbiek Verified Driver

Char-been-ohhh....

Ohhh yeahhhh.... Turkey trot 4 years ago or so. I forgot all about that. Yeah I had the same feeling towards you too. :-) Thanks for reminding me. :-)

No worries though, the image burned in my mind the most is you behind me blowing right past pit entrance with a hood where your windshield should be. Never stop till you see a black flag right?

BTW can I contribute to the Charbonneau typing fund?

--------------------
-Robbie Kollar

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by mr von charbonneau:
Ok I will bite, A. saw the wreck sorry robbie but

boy did you hit hard you went right in the grass
and back across too the wall .thought you would bounce of the wall and back on to the race track nice job at 80 plus mps .
even though your not my best buddie im glad your ok can only remember our first meeting, wanted to punch you out. In what i saw the car was in a safe place for two laps except if jammie tucker was cumming .and when i was trying to get me yellow slip aka my scca drivers permit kp the big cheese was waiting for you and nothing else with true concern I think you should apologize too the workers and drivers we all saw you there
and i slowed up the only person who didnt slow up was todd,cliff b and jamie tucker thats what i saw. heeeee haw

Andrew I was not required to slow down because of my raw talent; very raw. [Frown] Or was it I just don't care? Regardless I think your just mad because I gave you a car with 105 HP and tires that had 15 cycles on them and you still could not keep up. I thought you had mad skills? Well you know what they say; legal cars are great equalizers [laughing]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

SM

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

even though your not my best buddie im glad your ok can only remember our first meeting, wanted to punch you out.
The only person who didnt slow up was todd,cliff b and jamie tucker thats what i saw. heeeee haw[/QB][/QUOTE]

You make me laugh...Wedding Singer...
p.s. Danny, Cliff and I did slow up..we waited on you for a while..We figured you were still playing in the sandbox so we left..

--------------------

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Char-been-ohhh....

Ohhh yeahhhh.... Turkey trot 4 years ago or so. I forgot all about that. Yeah I had the same feeling towards you too. :-) Thanks for reminding me. :-)

No worries though, the image burned in my mind the most is you behind me blowing right past pit entrance with a hood where your windshield should be. Never stop till you see a black flag right?

BTW can I contribute to the Charbonneau typing fund?

it mr "von" charbonneau to u sir ...
the "von" apparently acquired last year in an attempt to outrank his sidekick 'Van' Vurst
[Smile]
and, u never stop until yu run out gas fuget about flags...
an careful on the punchin out cuse den Krys get angry ef u hit pretti mr von C and u dont wan tu mess with Krys [nope]
typing fund ?? du u no how hard is tu type like dis ?
the man (von) is genius i tel u ees mi bess buddie

Carlos G.
ps beeuras - u no slow up fu nobody ehver [Razz]

robbiek Verified Driver

I just shot coffee out of my nose. [rolling on floor laughin]

or in Charbonease--- eye juste shote cofeee ot ub me nez.

--------------------
-Robbie Kollar

robbiek Verified Driver

Thanks Capt. John.

Hell, I'm already registered for Daytona but if for any reason my car is not ready I'm still coming down just for the beer fest.

Thanks again.

--------------------
-Robbie Kollar

Jarhead Made Donation to Website

Region: 34
Car #: 89,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jarhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And here I was thinking I was the only one who thought Robbie was a dick.

--------------------
Problem Solved/ReelScreensSE/RE Power

SM

ho mez gooedneez mee hrutss frum laghinng. ust sharted dognuts [rolling on floor laughin] [blush]

Carlos Robbie

quote:
I just shot coffee out of my nose. [rolling on floor laughin]

or in Charbonease--- eye juste shote cofeee ot ub me nez.

[nope] [nope] [laughing] [laughing]

Wedding Singer???

The first time I mr. Charbonease he got up on stage and started singing with the band. Was that at the Watering Hole? Most fun I have ever had...

--------------------

mr von charbonneau

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yep todd I forgot the words also at the watering hole

brown eye girl became brown hole girl la,la,la

get ta . ps jamie your lack of racing talent comes from not giveing me a car you can follow

you screwd up jamie you could be the track record holder for every track and von charbonneau came for shooting down van versausage in WW1 bie plane .what a dog fight

speaking of dog fights were is the man mad dog.

dog nuts are very tasty with cream filling ask
cliff brow he will eat anything

mr von charbonneau

hey bye the way nice to here from carlos G

miss the cigars were have you beenn need some of the vaginal cream you sell works real good

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

oh my...
Le Capitaine Von Charbonneau, good to hear from you also ...
but please refrain from any further drinking of moonshine out of a diaphram while wearing your leather WWI fighter pilot skull cap and smoking a cigar covered in vagi cream that only god knows where you put it ... [tipsy] [Eek!]
i dont know Jaime Tucker but someone please tell him Capitaine von C must always have a fast car at his disposal ... otherwise his condition worsens
[Big Grin]
Andrew, coming back soon to a racetrack near you.
can't wait to race against you again, remember '05 Homestead, in the rain, on Hoosier slicks ?
who owns you ? [Smile]
bon au revoir capitaine,
buck private Carlos G.

ARRC 2010 Champ

Capt Charbonneau will get a fast car next time but I will have to raise the price from free!!!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

mr von charbonneau

free ,damit jammie you said you would pay me

weres my money

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by mr von charbonneau:
free ,damit jammie you said you would pay me

weres my money

As soon as I get the prize money I will cut you a check!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

mr von charbonneau

I would like to use my cash for sweet and sour sauce.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: