Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » CCPS/SARRC Memorial Monster at CMP

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: CCPS/SARRC Memorial Monster at CMP
E-Speed Motorsports Verified Driver

Region: CCR/NCR
Icon 3 posted  Profile for E-Speed Motorsports     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

IT'S TIME TO GO RACING!!
--CCPS Double Race--

Memorial Monster hosted by CCR is this weekend!
May 23-24 2009

If you have not signed up yet, CCR has waved online late fees!!
Follow these links to start the action! DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS ONE!

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/sedivracing/clubrace.aspx?EventID=3966&LMID=486 CCPS only

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/sedivracing/clubrace.aspx?EventID=3963&LMID=486 SARRC and SARRC/CCPS

If all else fails contact Vicki at vicki@ccrscca.com
She will help you through the registration process

Be there or be square!

For all CCPS information and rules please visit http://www.carolinacupproseries.com

--------------------
everything was fine after they got the fire put out.

E-Speed Motorsports
Race Engineering

Scott Malbon Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Blue Ridge Region (103), SEDiv
Car #: 52
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Malbon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

CCPS racing was great, even if the weather was not.

Can a corner worker relieve my worry, .. in the Sunday race, did the turtle crossing between turn 3 and 4 survive? Thanks for the debris flags. He/she was on his back for several laps in the track out line and no one ran over him. A testament to our driving skill and compassion.

Having spun a few times this weekend the turtle and I had the same experience of being immobile in the racing line, with cars racing by.

Thanks to all,

Scott
SM #52

panic motorsports Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SCR
Car #: 90
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought it was a headlight that had popped out of someones car! I'm sure the guys at T3 got him going the right direction again!!

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok
#90 SM 2008/2009 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM champions.
2010 VIR 13 hour enduro victorious! www.panicmotorsports.com
Need a salvage Miata part? We've got that!

Hunter's Run

Region: CCR
Car #: varies
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Hunter's Run   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sadly, the turtle did not survive. A spec racer hit it...I was at turn 6 and heard the after race communications.

--------------------
Richard Hunter

http://www.huntersrun.photoreflect.com

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry to hear that. But happy to hear that most were taking evasive action.

During Saturday's Group 3 race (SM) there was unidentified but fresh road kill shortly after the exit from turn 8, and each lap this black crow would be there picking away at it, and would just manage to fly out of the way as I came down on the way to the kink.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

panic motorsports Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SCR
Car #: 90
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bummer. Must have been the weekend for wildlife, my teammate Steve Fricker saw a fox dash across track at some point on Sunday I believe. At least the deer stayed put!

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok
#90 SM 2008/2009 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM champions.
2010 VIR 13 hour enduro victorious! www.panicmotorsports.com
Need a salvage Miata part? We've got that!

Gary Giles Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 98
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gary Giles     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds more like a drive through animal safari than a race.

Any results? How was the racing?

--------------------
“Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.” ~~ Mark Twain

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very happy to pick up both wins.

Saturday was a semi-wet track. Kink through T14 was wet, but T2 - T8 was dry - made for interesting mind set. Hard to switch gears mentally.

Qualified 2nd behind young Ben Hinson. Phil Safriet had his best Qualifying ever with P3.

Managed to get the jump on Ben at the start but he overdrove the first turn and spent an eternity in the wet grass. Pulled away quickly from Phil Safriet, Skip Brock and Ricky Thompson. Ricky got by both and kept the gap at around 8 seconds keeping me honest.

Sundays qualifying was a similar condition, but this time the track was drying fast. Stayed out for the whole session and got P1 on the last lap. Hinson was in P2.

This time Ben got the drop on me, and I followed him around for a lap or two - got by on the exit of T8 as he had a huge slide. Two laps later I screwed up, overdrove T3 and almost visited the tire wall and he got by again. Kept the pressure on him and his tires were going quickly. After a few laps, I passed him in the braking zone for T14 and pulled away for a 4 second win.

Hinson waved points in Race 2. Barnett finished 2nd and I believe Brock finsihed P3 (not sure about 3rd as weight might have been an issue)

Many thanks to Tom Fowler and Tim Meeks at OPM for the great support and setup. We made many, many changes (some big, some small) during our time there, finally ending with a very drivable and predictable car. Thanks to Ron at Traqmate and to Mike Rossini at Rossini Racing Engines.

[ 05-26-2009, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Danny Steyn ]

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Mr. Pink
2006 ARRC winnner

Car #: 99
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr. Pink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats on the wins Danny [thumbsup]

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Had a great weekend, great seeing everyone again. Lots of close racing with not all that much contact. One of the highlights was Brock spinning exiting the kink, sliding sideways, straightening the car up, sticking it in gear and continuing.. all without leaving the pavement.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Gary Giles Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gary Giles     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wait a second, I think Brock did the same thing the last time we were at CMP. I think he's just showing off. [Big Grin]

Congrats on the wins Danny!

[ 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Gary Giles ]

--------------------
“Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.” ~~ Mark Twain

Brockodile

Region: Southeast
Car #: 6
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Danny. He had the field covered. Thanks to Tom and Tim: professional as ever. I had a different rent-a-car this weekend. When they dropped another 25 lbs from the 1.6 weight minimum, I couldn't get down there and had to move to the heavyweight class. Turns out, Tom gave me a stunt car. It just wasn't happy going through the kink front-first. You know things are getting out of control when corner workers drop by the truck after a session to thank you for the show. Gives new meaning to the phrase, "Driving in the mirrors." Seriously ,true to OPM standards, the car was great and I just had to learn to drive it. Fun weekend with minimal body damage for all concerned.

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats guys, Had a great time with lots of laughs and the racing was verry good.

see yall soon.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

soupy

Region: Mohud
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With all that talk of wildlife, I got this picture of Bob bolting a race seat in the back of a pick-up, strapping in in a 6 point harness, chasing the field, all the time holding a shotgun.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LOL......... [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This past weekend has been definitely been one of the best experiences I have had at the track.

The weather was fantastic (when it wasn't raining) and so was the racing. Many thanks to the people who helped to organize the event.

Congrats to you Danny for the wins, and also Jason Owenby and Alex Gaines for nearly clenching the overall win in the CCPS race in a ITS
miata.

Thanks to OPM for having emergency parts on hand to help fix a fuel leak that showed up in the tech shed. And also to Race Engineering for providing a great power plant and support.

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

Hotshoe

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Hotshoe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Saturday was a semi-wet track. Kink through T14 was wet, but T2 - T8 was dry - made for interesting mind set. Hard to switch gears mentally.
Managed to get the jump on Ben at the start but he overdrove the first turn and spent an eternity in the wet grass. Pulled away quickly from Phil Safriet, Skip Brock and Ricky Thompson. Ricky got by both and kept the gap at around 8 seconds keeping me honest.

Danny,

.... After I cleared traffic on lap 5 .. I see more green than red...... Just thought I would remind you......... LOL

.... Maybe one day we will be close. I just kept on making the wrong choices for qualifying set ups this past weekend.

.... Sunday was terrible. I went out on a wet set up and it dried up during qualifying. Then during the race I was forced off track after the kink and ran into the back of Skip(I sure am glad he accepted my apology). I tried to steer clear but the wrong end was steering so all I could do was lock them up. That flat spotted the right front to the cords and turned my steering wheel into a paint shaker. But I did manage to make it to the end of the race before the tire went flat.......

.... Rickey T.

Hotshoe

you are right as always!!! More Green than Red.

Damn I hate it when that MyLaps lie detector comes on line. At least I get to keep my Traqmate data private!!!

[ 05-27-2009, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Danny Steyn ]

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow what a weekend! Congratulations to Danny Steyn for winning both SARRC races. Sunday was quite a battle to watch from 3rd position as new kid on the block Hinson and Steyn swapped the lead multiple times.

Congratulations to Ben Hinson for double wins in the CCPS races!

To me the highlight of the weekend was watching my co-driver Andrew Anderson start from 18th in on the qualifying grid (last place) in the Saturday SARRC race. He was forced to the back due to having to bed brakes during the qualifying session. He wheeled that car all the way up to a 4th place finish! Another lap and he might have even been able to clinch a podium finish! Andrew has come a long way and is definitely someone to watch out for in the future! To top it off Andrew even set the fastest SM lap in Sunday's CCPS race on the last lap!

Thanks so much to Andrew for allowing me to co-drive the CCPS races with him and even loaning me the car to compete in the Sunday SARRC race with. That new Race Engineering engine under the hood is top notch...THANKS BOB!

Congrats to Jason Owenby and Alex Gaines for the overall pole position in Sunday's rain qualifying in CCPS. Way to be over 3 seconds faster than any other car!

Thanks always to OPM for having a parts buffet available to everyone that can't afford to carry every part known to man in a hauler. You make life much easier and less stressful for the rest of us.

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: