Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » CFR will not sanction SEDIV ECR series races

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: CFR will not sanction SEDIV ECR series races
Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just left the CFR dist 3 meeting where it was announced that the Central Florida Region will no longer sanction and run races in the SEDIV ECR series.

The region will continue to run enduro races as in past years, just not under the rules of the SEDIV ECR series. Both SM and SMT classes will be included.

--------------------
Paul McLester

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul,

Do you care to explain?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wasn't involved in the decision so I can't comment on the why other than I think the region wants to control the races it sanctions.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow! More division. [nope]

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What does ECR stand for?

Enduro Championship Racing Series. It is a SEDIV series.

--------------------
Paul McLester

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks. Sounds like politics rampant.

Chris Fulton

Region: CFR
Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul,

Wouldn't that be something we would vote on? What is/was the problem with the ECR series?

Chris,

We elect people to run the region and make decisions (just like our State and Federal govt). They make those decisions based upon member/worker/driver input. We have approx. 48,000 members of which approx. 8,000 are licensed drivers.

My understanding from talking to people is that the region is still upset over the way drivers were treated at the May ECR at Daytona. The region tried to let drivers know a month or more in advance that the ECR rules did not have a rule requiring the National tire (which the SARRC rules do have)and that meant the tire would be open for the ECR in SM per the GCR as the ECR is a regional race.

Krys Dean as the ECR Steward disagreed with the rule interpretation and decided with some other divisional stewards to penalize any driver not using the National tire. The CFR told her she was wrong before she told the drivers at the driver meeting and she ignored the regions requests.

The CFR protested the ruling, the stewards of the meet sided with Krys, the CFR appealed to the COA. The COA then ruled for the CFR and determined that Krys was wrong in her interpretation of the rule. The CFR then asked the SOM to reinstate the positions of the drivers who were penalized and the SOM refused citing the fact that the COA had not required them to reinstate the drivers. The CFR had to then write the COA and ask them to order the reinstatement of the drivers...which the COA did.

This has resulted in the Central Florida Region deciding that they can run enduros and provide the best racing without the interference of the division. Unless you are competing for the ECR division title...there won't be any change that would affect the drivers.

Long winded, but that is my understanding of why this has occurred. I posted it because I thought people would want to know.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If Central Florida Region has an open tire rule I will not run in their ECRs. Its a joke to say we are a spec class and than allow people to run different tires. Has the CFR asked what the Spec Miata drivers want? No! Everyone I talked to said they want a spec tire (that is cheap and lasts of course) yet we are still messing around with tire issues month after month. If we are opting out of the SEDIV ECR rules because someone got their feelings hurt than it is time the Spec Miata drivers step in. This is our class; its about time we get this crap straightened out.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Jamie,

PM sent

No one said that SM would run "open tire" in the enduros. The SMT class was proposed by both SEDIV and CFR to allow people to run whatever tire they want. Give Rick Balderson and Robin Langlotz your input. The decision to run their own Enduros would affect all classes and not just SM.

By the way the GCR tire rule for SM regional races is open tire. Maybe we should address that issue first.

--------------------
Paul McLester

This all a "Knee Jerk Reaction" to a bad tire choice from earlier in the season.

Mark my words, "United We Stand, Divided We Fall". [yep]

TaxMan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Willing to trade tax advice for Miata parts...

Region: Florida Region
Car #: 7
SMIM: TaxMan
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TaxMan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are a CFR SM driver and you believe that CFR drivers want a spec tire, I would HIGHLY recommend that you communicate that to your RE, Asst. RE, CFR Board of Directors, etc... Also get your fellow racers to do the same.

The message coming from CFR leadership is pretty clear. It is my understandign that in thier opinion, CFR SM drivers want OPEN tires.

I could be wrong, but the push for open tire has as long as I have been involved in SM racing, come from the Florida regions.

--------------------
Gary Jenkins
SEDIV Spec Miata Advisory Committe
AOL IM:PBLRacing

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TaxMan:
If you are a CFR SM driver and you believe that CFR drivers want a spec tire, I would HIGHLY recommend that you communicate that to your RE, Asst. RE, CFR Board of Directors, etc... Also get your fellow racers to do the same.

The message coming from CFR leadership is pretty clear. It is my understandign that in thier opinion, CFR SM drivers want OPEN tires.

I could be wrong, but the push for open tire has as long as I have been involved in SM racing, come from the Florida regions.

Gary we are working on the now! As soon as I get a list of those that do or do not want I spec tire put together I will send that information to the powers that be.
Thanks,
Jamie

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Butch Kummer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Butch Kummer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I swore I wasn't going to post on this topic, but the divisional recognition of SMT will provide the absolute best indicator of who wants open tires for SM and who wants a single tire. A count of how many sign up for SMT across the division will send a message that cannot be ignored.

Looking at the current entries for Daytona in August there are 27 in SM and one (1) in SMT. I'm sure the CFR officials will say that's because:

- guys want to use up their R-888s
- people started the year in SM and don't want to lose their points
- there's a shortage of vinyl "T's" in Orlando
- the drivers don't understand their options (that worked in the 2000 Presidential election!)
- yadda, yadda, yadda

One year of SMT will not kill the Spec Miata class any more than telling those that want an open tire to go run IT, and by this time next year we'll have irrefutable numbers indicating what the participating drivers want. The best part is you guys don't have to organize protest marches, send letters, or argue on the internet - you just need to sign up in the class you want to run with.

I'm tired, so I think I'll go back to sleep now...

--------------------
Atlanta Region Asst. RE, Competition Director

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***A count of how many sign up for SMT across the division will send a message that cannot be ignored.

and by this time next year we'll have irrefutable numbers indicating what the participating drivers want.***

And you'll a$$ u me that all those running SMT on R888 tires or RA1 tires to get more seat time agree with YOUR personal thoughts. Please, that would be how politicians do their thinking. [Smile]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Butch Kummer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Butch Kummer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David,

At the urging of smarter people I've reconsidered my position on putting SMT and SM in separate run groups. If someone wants to double dip they can do so now in either ITA or ITS (depending on the model-year of their Miata), and keeping all the SM-based cars together concentrates the riff-raff in one place.

BK

--------------------
Atlanta Region Asst. RE, Competition Director

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Butch Kummer:
I swore I wasn't going to post on this topic, but the divisional recognition of SMT will provide the absolute best indicator of who wants open tires for SM and who wants a single tire. A count of how many sign up for SMT across the division will send a message that cannot be ignored.

Looking at the current entries for Daytona in August there are 27 in SM and one (1) in SMT. I'm sure the CFR officials will say that's because:

- guys want to use up their R-888s
- people started the year in SM and don't want to lose their points
- there's a shortage of vinyl "T's" in Orlando
- the drivers don't understand their options (that worked in the 2000 Presidential election!)
- yadda, yadda, yadda

One year of SMT will not kill the Spec Miata class any more than telling those that want an open tire to go run IT, and by this time next year we'll have irrefutable numbers indicating what the participating drivers want. The best part is you guys don't have to organize protest marches, send letters, or argue on the internet - you just need to sign up in the class you want to run with.

I'm tired, so I think I'll go back to sleep now...

I have my pitchfork ready to go!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I am not mistaken CFR broke from the Sediv ECR series before for a year or so and then made up and went back. Same thing probably will happen again. And yes I am going to use up my R888s and it may take till the end of the year but what if the new RA-1 is not the same as before? I really liked the RA-1 and with the small budget I have met all my needs. I also did not like what happened at the May ECR and how it was handled, I'll try to run spec tires if I can but when the rules keep changing and then they have two interpretations the best intentions of officials do not work I will find a way to just have fun which is my main objective. Gattoratty it shows you are a atty. your posts are always clear and to the point.

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So the decision was made not to sanction ECR races because of 1 class? What about the IT/SS folks who run ECR's?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 on the spec tire from an also ran, rarely runs back marker.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Lance the decision was not all about tires in the SM class I believe the decision had more to do with the ITA enduro where the race was stopped, the clock wasn't stopped and the racers lost 40 min of racing time....plus the tire problems. I attend the monthly meetings of dist. 3 and try to give them info on SM. I am not privy to all of the decisions or the reasoning behind some of them.

Cintibob..thanks I do try to help.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Wes Saunders

Region: Florida
Year : '92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wes Saunders     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It looks like CFR really means it. The September ECR at Sebring has been changed to FL region at Homestead. How does the ECR have an effective north/south following if CFR isn't participating? This seems to be a real shame, as their aren't many ENDURO series as popular as this one. What will the future hold if cooler heads don't prevail?

--------------------
'90 SM
2006 SSM North East Enduro Champion

Krys Dean

Car #: 44
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Krys Dean   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just so everyone is on the same page, The decision to enforce the Spec tire rule came directly to me from the Executive Steward, I still have a copy of the e-mail. The MOMENT the COA upheld the Langlotz appeal I made the changes to the finishing order. I had no problem with the COA decision, in fact I had encouraged SM drivers to protest the decision, that Langlotz chose to make it contentious is just vintage Langlotz. I had no choice, CFR was not me boss, Robin Langlotz was not my boss, the Executive Steward was my boss and that was his decision and his instruction. Before assigning blame, a little research might be in order. I seriously doubt that ANYTHING I did or failed to do caused CFR to forgo future ECR races.

I screwed up by not stopping the clock at Daytona, there has been a great hue and cry about that fact, but I remember another acting Steward at a Sebring race that did the same thing, He is a CFR Steward, but no complaints on that one. It doesn't really matter anymore, I have resigned as ECR Steward, I love the series and the drivers are all great people, I will miss both, just not the BS that goes with it.

--------------------
Krys Dean

Jarhead Made Donation to Website

Region: 34
Car #: 89,90
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jarhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Politics, politics, politics. Krys, you are welcome in my pit anytime. Andrew

--------------------
Problem Solved/ReelScreensSE/RE Power

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Krys, I do not envy your work, so much to do and people sometimes get so worked up over things for good reason or not. But I am sure alot of people appreciate your efforts. I know I would not want your job all we can do is learn when we make a mistake and continue on. Thanks

Krys Dean

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Krys Dean   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys, BTW, the ECR race at Homestead next weekend (9-19/20) is the last ECR in Florida This season, and it will be my last ECR event as ECR Chief Steward. Hope some of you can make it.

I INTEND THAT EVERYONE WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME AND A FUN RACE.

--------------------
Krys Dean

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hello Krys ;
Open tires for the ECR race right [duck] [flamed] [Big Grin]
note to everyone there will be an open test day on Friday. Great track time if you have never driven the Grand AM layout ... turn 1 is a 'might bit' faster.
Krys, will drop by and say hello,
Carlos G.

Krys Dean

Yes, open tires. If you want a test day, you need to call Homestead NOW, if they don't get enough cars to make it worthwhile they will cancel it.

call Sandi Mack at:
(305) 230-5174
smack@homesteadmiamispeedway.com

http://www.homesteadmiamispeedway.com/

--------------------
Krys Dean

Krys

Thank you for your hard work and dedication to our sport.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Krys Dean asked me to post this re. tires for Spec Miata at HST on Sept.19-20. The Supps state:
Miatas running in the SM class are required to use the Toyo R-888. The use of any other tire (open tire) would require that the car run in a different class such as the appropriate IT class or P-2 (a Fl. Region class) At the mid year SEDIV meeting in ATL the 'movers and shakers' decided to follow the apparent wishes of the SM community and declared that for SARRC and ECR races the SM tire would be the Toyo R-888. These races are both SARRC and ECR events so the Toyo R-888 is it.

R.Langlotz did prevail at the COA on the SM tire issue for regional races. CFR races since that time have been Restricted Regionals with no tie in to SARRC and ECR. The GCR 'open tire' provision for regional races was placed in effect by CFR for these events.

Krys had to go to Indiana for a family medical issue and hopes to be back and down at HST for the race as the ECR Chief Steward. I will be an Operating Steward that weekend and will attempt to answer any questions that you may have. Hope to see many of you down there, remember we will be running the banking of NASCAR turns 3 & 4.
This is the same as the Grand-Am course.

Capt.John

ARRC 2010 Champ

So there is no open tire rule for SM because it is a SARRC and ECR at HST. Sounds good to me!!! 888's baby. [Smile]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

I think what Krys meant to say is open tires on the test day. [Smile] Hope all is well Krys with your family. See you and Capt John at Homestead.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: