Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » Proposal to legalize bump drafting in SCCA

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Proposal to legalize bump drafting in SCCA
SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Has this ever been proposed in the past? If so what was the outcome?

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I find this frustrating as well. Racer's get DQ'ed or at least lose positions for bump drafting all the time, but banging in fenders and doors are seen as "racing incidents".

Doesn't NASA have some sort of rule where you can put an X on your rear bumper if you don't want to be bumped, but otherwise it's fair game? That sounds like a pretty good rule to me!

I think it's pretty exciting as a spectator to watch the 2nd and 3rd place guys run down the leader by working together.

Just my [twocents]

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Tiley:
I think it's pretty exciting as a spectator to watch the 2nd and 3rd place guys run down the leader by working together.

Just my [twocents]

OTOH, I think it's pretty unexciting as a spectator to watch 1st and 2nd run away from 3rd place guys by working together.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah, I want to propose that if you are in 1st or 2nd you need to slow down and wait for me! Can we get that passed? [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SamBarnett:
Has this ever been proposed in the past? If so what was the outcome?

"Thank you for your input, the rule is fine as written."

I think you will probably see something like this.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NASA seems to have made it legal, why can't the SCCA? The answer I got from someone I asked at the track was "insurance". Certainly NASA has insurance too....

Would a petition or something along those lines help?

I really would like to see this legalized in SCCA like it is in NASA. I'm willing to put forth effort on this movement if others think it's worthwhile.

--------------------
CDOC

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NASA's rule on this is just about perfect. The SCCA... [banghead]

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

the way i see it is, since we sign the waiver and pay the rediculously expensive entry fees, its our life and our decision so we should be able to bump or do whatever the heck we want. When it comes down to it, we are paying good money to race and it's our cars that we are messing up not SCCA's. NASA's rule is much more sensible with putting the X on the bumpe

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

tahoe z Verified Driver
2007 NASA 25hr Champion E2 / 2008 NASA 25 HR E2 2ND place

Region: san francisco
Car #: SFR # 62 1.6/ SMT / 1.8 /# 62 ITA
Year : 89smt / 94 ita
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tahoe z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

its all fine till an idot bumpdrafts in a corner.good drivers can bumpdraft, but mid pack will be carnage

--------------------
kim willcox

Veteran Member

I've never heard of NASA having any problems resulting from their bumpdrafting rule. I don't believe their rule permits it in the corners?

--------------------
CDOC

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First comparing NASA and SCCA is difficult as NASA has about 10% of the number of race entries on a weekend as SCCA. We had 61 Spec Miata entries at Sebring 2 weeks a go and 320 total entries. The lack of a rule in SCCA has to do with coming up with a rule that is enforceable, clearly defined, and yet maintains safety for all competitors (some people don't want you hitting them in a corner to make them hit the tire wall faster). I spoke with a member of the BOD tonight and we discussed issues such as defining a straight (is NASCAR 2, or NASCAR 3,4 at Daytona a straight or a corner?) what is safe for a Miata may not be safe for a GT1 car doing 190 mph on the banking of Daytona. We all complain that the stewards in different regions seem to interpret the rules differently which is why they are trying to come up with a rule that is easily understood and easily enforced when violated.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What exactly is the afore mentioned NASA bumpdrafting rule? Is it the same for all NASA franchises....Mid Atlantic, FL. Etc. Etc.? I am curious how great the difference is between NASA and SCCA.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
First comparing NASA and SCCA is difficult as NASA has about 10% of the number of race entries on a weekend as SCCA. We had 61 Spec Miata entries at Sebring 2 weeks a go and 320 total entries. The lack of a rule in SCCA has to do with coming up with a rule that is enforceable, clearly defined, and yet maintains safety for all competitors (some people don't want you hitting them in a corner to make them hit the tire wall faster). I spoke with a member of the BOD tonight and we discussed issues such as defining a straight (is NASCAR 2, or NASCAR 3,4 at Daytona a straight or a corner?) what is safe for a Miata may not be safe for a GT1 car doing 190 mph on the banking of Daytona. We all complain that the stewards in different regions seem to interpret the rules differently which is why they are trying to come up with a rule that is easily understood and easily enforced when violated.

If it were treated the same as all other contact (enforced through the protest process), this would not be an issue, would it? It is very simply an argument between drivers and stewards. We (SM drivers) want to do it and the stewards, who are volunteers trying to do the right things, say no in the name of safety. I've given up on the subject long ago and have learned to live with this little quirky SCCA issue, as I don't think there's any way to get the rule makers to agree. We need to give our stewards the control they need so that they CAN run safe events, so I'm with Mike on this one. very likely not going to happen no matter how much we want it to.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Capt. John:
What exactly is the afore mentioned NASA bumpdrafting rule? Is it the same for all NASA franchises....Mid Atlantic, FL. Etc. Etc.? I am curious how great the difference is between NASA and SCCA.

If you hit someone hard enough or at a place on the course to cause them to deviate from their line, you have committed a 'foul'.

Good rule.

--------------------

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NASA does not have a "Bump Drafting" rule they have a "Punting" rule.

NASA Rule:

25.4.2 Punting.
The term “punting” is defined as nose to tail (or side-of-the-nose to side-of-the-tail)
contact, where the leading car is significantly knocked off of the racing line. Once the
trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the other vehicle, it is considered that
the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave the
trailing driver enough “racing room.” In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least
three quarters of one car width.” If adequate racing room is left for the trailing car, and
there is incidental contact made between the cars, the contact will be considered “sideto-
side.” In most cases, incidental side-to-side contact is considered to be “just a racing
incident.” If, in the case of side-to-side contact, one of the two cars leaves the racing
surface (involuntarily) then it may still be considered “a racing incident.”

Still pretty hard to enforce and comes down to a judgment call by the Stewards. This would create the same arguments as we have over who has the "line" and whether the front wheel of the trailing car is "next" to the front car. I have no problem with a rule this vague, you just have to accept that the stewards rulings will differ based on each incident and the stewards experience which will most times result in a "no action" ruling by the stewards. Same as trying to define "rough driving".

--------------------
Paul McLester

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It should be ok to bump draft, that's my take.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In the GreatLakes there is usually a line in the printed driver's meeting saying "no bump drafting", but we usually get away with it. I suspect the flaggers don't call it in unless you're being a d!ck.

Krys Dean

Region: Florida
Car #: 44
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Krys Dean   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There should be a "bump drafting policy", so everyone is on the same page and if it is going to be allowed, it NEEDS to be with prior arrangement. You guys know who you want to run that close with, who you trust, and those should be the people you talk to prior to the event, every event. The other drivers need to be off limits, in short bump drafting by prior arrangement.

This is NOT coming from a Steward, I doubt any Stewards would agree (openly) with this "policy", I am just a fan and competitor who loves the close racing in SM.

--------------------
Krys Dean

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by suck fumes:
the way i see it is, since we sign the waiver and pay the rediculously expensive entry fees, its our life and our decision so we should be able to bump or do whatever the heck we want. When it comes down to it, we are paying good money to race and it's our cars that we are messing up not SCCA's. NASA's rule is much more sensible with putting the X on the bumper

I don't see the entry fees being ridiculous? You endangering your life is one thing, but endangering my life or another competitors is another and must be considered. I am all for bump drafting, but many don't have a clue what bump drafting is or how to do it safely and correctly. Many people are slamming into the backs of cars, it is unsafe and typically nonproductive. I have heard of at least four rear diff housing being broken from "bump' drafting. That is crazy!
So all these things need to be considered, not just the ones who do it correctly and safely. Then you have those ( not me) who follow the rules and do not bump draft, they move back in the qualifying order b/c they follow the rules. Everything is easier on the surface then when you look at all things that must be considered.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well said Jim.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

SparePartsRacing

Car #: 34
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SparePartsRacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am for bump drafting. NASA Texas is VERY good at explaining to the drivers in the mandatory meetings about bump drafting, when to and not to. And all this Mid-Packers talk about not knowing how to bump draft? Just because my right ball doesn't hang as low as others in some of the corners doesn't mean i don't have good car control and know how to not "RAM" the guy in front of me when pushing him around the guy in front of him. (and woman)
Just my [twocents]

--------------------
100 X Nothing killed the donkey

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have found the 4 to 5 shift on long straights to be especially difficult to perform consistently. Sometimes the gentle driver behind me is surprised by this and his safest action is to tap me squarely in the rear bumper to avoid an erratic steering input.

Sometimes I try to signal my lack of confidence in my shifting to the gentle driver behind me by moving my right hand forward and back in a tomahawk motion. This allows the gentle driver behind me to tuck in close to ensure if I miss my shift the contact will be firm, yet predictable. [thumbsup]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
NASA does not have a "Bump Drafting" rule they have a "Punting" rule.

NASA Rule:

25.4.2 Punting.
The term “punting” is defined as nose to tail (or side-of-the-nose to side-of-the-tail)
contact, where the leading car is significantly knocked off of the racing line. Once the
trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the other vehicle, it is considered that
the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave the
trailing driver enough “racing room.” In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least
three quarters of one car width.” If adequate racing room is left for the trailing car, and
there is incidental contact made between the cars, the contact will be considered “sideto-
side.” In most cases, incidental side-to-side contact is considered to be “just a racing
incident.” If, in the case of side-to-side contact, one of the two cars leaves the racing
surface (involuntarily) then it may still be considered “a racing incident.”

Still pretty hard to enforce and comes down to a judgment call by the Stewards. This would create the same arguments as we have over who has the "line" and whether the front wheel of the trailing car is "next" to the front car. I have no problem with a rule this vague, you just have to accept that the stewards rulings will differ based on each incident and the stewards experience which will most times result in a "no action" ruling by the stewards. Same as trying to define "rough driving".

I went back and looked at the CCR. Not being a NASA guy, I haven't looked in a while. I remember there being a rule stating that nose/tail contact was no foul unless the contact caused the leading car to deviate from their line. THAT was a good rule and easy to enforce:

1. Nose/tail contact and both cars continue undisturbed down the straight -- no foul.
2. Nose/tail contact and the front car gets lifted into the air -- foul!
3. Nose/tail contact and the front car wiggles -- FOUL!
4. Nose/tail contact and front car slides wide in the turn or spins -- FOUL!!

--------------------

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by G. Davis:
I have found the 4 to 5 shift on long straights to be especially difficult to perform consistently. Sometimes the gentle driver behind me is surprised by this and his safest action is to tap me squarely in the rear bumper to avoid an erratic steering input.

Sometimes I try to signal my lack of confidence in my shifting to the gentle driver behind me by moving my right hand forward and back in a tomahawk motion. This allows the gentle driver behind me to tuck in close to ensure if I miss my shift the contact will be firm, yet predictable. [thumbsup]

+1 [Smile] just ask Taylor

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

taylorf Verified Driver

Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taylorf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
quote:
Originally posted by G. Davis:

+1 [Smile] just ask Taylor
I am the king of the tomahawk!

Some people are more likely to help than others!

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

Veteran Member

Everyone please vote in the poll on this I just posted. Thanks.

--------------------
CDOC

Brockodile

Region: Southeast
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm for it. Done properly (like most else in racing) it's safe; plus, the added dimension of racers actually cooperating makes it more interesting and less predictable. Few leads are safe from two or three chasers working together. Hits in turns and braking zones and slams which break diffs are not bump drafting.

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

SparePartsRacing

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SparePartsRacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a question. If SCCA does not allow it, Why do they seem to allow it at the Run-Offs? Videos all over YouTube with bump drafting going on. Is it that they think that if you made it to the run-offs your good enough to bump draft? or do the GCR's not apply at the run-offs? Or does the run-offs apply a different bump drafting rule?
I'm Just Sayin. [duck]

--------------------

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SparePartsRacing:
Here's a question. If SCCA does not allow it, Why do they seem to allow it at the Run-Offs? Videos all over YouTube with bump drafting going on. Is it that they think that if you made it to the run-offs your good enough to bump draft? or do the GCR's not apply at the run-offs? Or does the run-offs apply a different bump drafting rule?
I'm Just Sayin. [duck]

There is not a different ruleset for the runoffs when it comes to bump drafting. [Roll Eyes] There are a lot of places that it can be done at Road America where flaggers will not see or can say without a shadow of a doubt the contact occurred. Come work a few races, it'll give you an idea what we can and cannot see.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

SparePartsRacing

I've worked MANY races....used to work Crash Rescue before building my car. They used to double work us workin corners out of the trucks when there wasn't enough corner workers to go around. It does give you a different perspective when you have worked them before instead of just racing without working. I honestly think it should be something ALL drivers should have to do before they get a license is work a corner for the day.

--------------------

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I honestly think it should be something ALL drivers should have to do before they get a license is work a corner for the day. [/QB][/QUOTE]

+1 ...but for two race days

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Longo:
I honestly think it should be something ALL drivers should have to do before they get a license is work a corner for the day.

+1 ...but for two race days [/QB][/QUOTE]

The ICSCC up in the Pacific Northwest requires novice race drivers to work 3 half-day assignments. The assignments include working as a flagger, assistant tech inspector, and on the pre-grid. I went through the program last year and gained an appreciation for what the regular workers go through and what's involved. Met a lot of really good folks there, too!

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In the NE region two assignments must be performed, signed off and submitted with the provisional license before it is issued.

My flagging duty was great. Stayed out there on a cold, windy day hours longer than I needed to.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I chose timing and scoring (and tech) while trying to attain my license last season and I can say without a doubt that it's much warmer/cooler and drier in the scoring booth than standing at a corner station [Smile]

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: