Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » May Daytona (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: May Daytona
WANNABE

Region: Central Florida Region
Car #: whatever I can talk someone into letting me drive
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WANNABE     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just wanted to say, HAD A GREAT time this past weekend. I was fortunate enough to get to start the enduro for one of our customers and had a blast!
Came up to 3rd before I had to get out.
Thanks for letting me race with you guys!

OFFICE BOY

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cpdenis:
Who was in what car? Driver-year

Tucker- 99
Labounty- 1.6
Bolanos/Blanchard- 1.6
Van Vurst- 99
Freedom car (was pretty much on par until the mysterious hp gain in the last race)- 99
Badia/Collum- 99
Foster- 99
Wirgin- 99
Fulton- 99
Pelak- 99

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rene Badia Jr:
and the freedom car running with no plate on sunday, only to run a 2.21.0!

waiting for knucles comment on that........

There is really not much to say! There is no way anybody was going to start in the back and run to the front like that with the plate in. He could have passed my at anytime he wanted to; which was not the case in any other race of the weekend. Maybe he realized that the plate was out and decide that he did not want to finish on the podium because he just pushed me around the track and never even attempted to pass me. They were running in ITS as well and MAY HAVE just forgot the plate was out [Wink] Although they should have just come in towards the end because other people lost points that should not have. One thing I do want to say is that whoever the driver was in that car at the start of the enduro raced me for the lead very, very clean. We raced side by side many times and never even got close to touching each other. During that race our cars were side by side on the banks with neither car having an advantage.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Any news from this past weekends racing at Daytona? Enquiring minds want to know!!!

You mean other than uncompetitive 1.6 cars won both races? [Smile] Labounty day one, Balanos day two.

I think Jaimie Tucker won the Enduro in his 99.

Since I know what horsepower and prep both Jeff's and Alex's car had I would conclude that all of our cars were pretty equal at Daytona. I sat on the pole (no jokes please) for the enduro and first regional in my 99. I won the enduro with help from Alex who lifted a few times to allow me to stay in the draft when I made a mistake and also coached me on the radios while we were running together. After an hour we pitted together and Cliffy Chains got in for Alex. We ran together until the last lap when Cliffy ran off in the bus stop, lost the draft, and I got the win. In the second race Jeff and I ran together until I lost it in turn 1 with a few laps to go and finished second. The third race I was in second and blew turn 1 again and lost the draft that Alex and Jeff had going and finished third. So overall I would say the cars were very close at Daytona.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Chris Fulton

Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a blast at Daytona, finished 3rd in the enduro, although really not that close to smell the front.

I had a great battle with the old Freedom car in the enduro, barely nipping him at the line and the first regional race blocking him in with a slower car and a little bump draft help from Gary Freirson (his 1.6 is fast) to beat him to the line again on the last lap.

I do think the 99 helped me personally at Daytona. Team Blanchards/Bolanos, Labountys 1.6's sure were fast.

TROUBLEMAKER

Icon 1 posted  Profile for TROUBLEMAKER     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by WANNABE:
Just wanted to say, HAD A GREAT time this past weekend. I was fortunate enough to get to start the enduro for one of our customers and had a blast!

OFFICE BOY

I was watching closely, and saw you deliver a VERY impressive run...'sorry to see what happened when the other driver took over. He maintained nice lines, but I guess weight really does make a difference in SM, eh?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
One thing I do want to say is that whoever the driver was in that car at the start of the enduro raced me for the lead very, very clean. We raced side by side many times and never even got close to touching each other. During that race our cars were side by side on the banks with neither car having an advantage. [/QB]

Agreed, meant to go over and say hi but they were a bit far from our camp. It could be the most competent driver that's ever been in one of those blue/green cars since I started spec miata. Maybe I won't have to avoid them with a 10ft pole anymore...

Wasn't that guy at VIR also?

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Bolanos:
Wasn't that guy at VIR also?

Yup

I believe the driver of the Freedom car at Daytona was Jonathon Czarny - really cool guy with a very cool wife, I might add.

I met him for the first time at VIR and he rapidly improved from a 2:25 to a 2:20 over that weekend. Clean, fast and a very quick study on data - always looking for ways to get more speed through a turn.

Fun guy to hang out with as well

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

I was certainly happy to see such a driver in that car. We had a lot of fun racing with him. Please tell him that he has to use his plate the entire weekend though!! [Smile]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Van Vurst:
My bad Alex!I did not hang out to get the final results for the second regional.That is a great lap for how hot and nasty it was [banghead]

Matt you did a great job; even though you wanted to lead every lap!! Hope you know I was just busting your balls on Sunday (and you brothers). See you at PBIR

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Matthew Van Vurst

Region: florida region
Car #: 08
SMIM: sm
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matthew Van Vurst   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Jamie,I was like a fat kid on cake when I saw the lead.I could not help myself! LOL

--------------------
Do you smell something delicious cooking in the oven? SHAKE AND BAKE!

quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Van Vurst:
Thanks Jamie,I was like a fat kid on cake when I saw the lead.I could not help myself! LOL

Great job man, hope to see you out on the track more often [thumbsup]

Czarny

Region: Central Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Czarny   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys, my bad, the plate was out from ITS in the last race, it wasn't planned. Unfortunately my co-driver crunched up the front end in ITS & the nose was taped shut too. Really sorry, it won't happen again.

Jamie, thanks so much for the fun race in the Enduro, it was a blast racing with you! Thank you for giving me the room. Matt, Chris we had some great racing too, thanks guys & nice to meet you both! This was my first time at Daytona and thanks to all for making it a great experience. I too was trying to find your camp, but you must have been on the other side. Next time we will definitely have to meet & shake hands [Smile]

--------------------
Freedom Autosport - SM

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Czarny:
Hey guys, my bad, the plate was out from ITS in the last race, it wasn't planned. Unfortunately my co-driver crunched up the front end in ITS & the nose was taped shut too. Really sorry, it won't happen again.

Jamie, thanks so much for the fun race in the Enduro, it was a blast racing with you! Thank you for giving me the room. Matt, Chris we had some great racing too, thanks guys & nice to meet you both! This was my first time at Daytona and thanks to all for making it a great experience. I too was trying to find your camp, but you must have been on the other side. Next time we will definitely have to meet & shake hands [Smile]

Thats what we figured! We saw the damage and thought it was just an oversight. It shows a lot of class not to knock somebody off the podium and even more to come on here and come clean about it. Thanks again for the great racing!! I know all the guys at Autotechniks had a good time racing with you.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Rene Badia Jr

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rene Badia Jr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who was in that car for the first regional??

--------------------
Rene Badia Jr
AutoTechnik Racing/Team BDR/SpeedSource

Czarny

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Czarny   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jonathan Miller ran the first Regional & finished the SM Enduro. I am looking forward to the next time, hopefully I will make it out for the RA National in a few weeks!

--------------------
Freedom Autosport - SM

WANNABE

Icon 1 posted  Profile for WANNABE     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TROUBLEMAKER:
quote:
Originally posted by WANNABE:

OFFICE BOY

I was watching closely, and saw you deliver a VERY impressive run...'sorry to see what happened when the other driver took over. He maintained nice lines, but I guess weight really does make a difference in SM, eh?

WANNABE

Thanks man,
I had a blast, the draft helps alot! [Smile]
I don't get to run much, maybe once or twice a year, so it takes a little time to knock the dust off.
My co-driver Pax was ecstatic, his first Top 10 finish ever!
[Smile]
ps...he has 130+ lbs on even me [Smile]

ARRC 2010 Champ

Pax is good guy!! Congrats on the top 10

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Chris Fulton

Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great Job "Office Boy"! Sorry I missed a shift and screwed up our plan! Phsyched for PAX, he was really stoked on the finish!!!

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pax is a great guy and a real gentleman. He was proud as hell about his finish in the Enduro...and rightly so. Kept it all in one piece and of the wall. He definitely has been practicing in the golf cart as he drives around the facility. He was taking some good "lines" as we toured the paddock, went over to the tower, and out to Registration. Jerry Garcia in a Miata, love it dude.

TROUBLEMAKER

Icon 1 posted  Profile for TROUBLEMAKER     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm sure Pax's haircut helped!

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Speaking of haircuts.....I know Cliffie is down on power...but cutting off all of your hair to save weight?

--------------------
Paul McLester

Sam Lechtner

Car #: 127
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sam Lechtner     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So that was my first time at daytona and my 4th time in a spec miata. Good clean racing almost every lap!! Thanks for the great weekend guys!
Sam Lechtner

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: